Adjuster Estimates

Tags - Popular | FAQ  

PrevPrev Go to previous topic
NextNext Go to next topic
Last Post 09/29/2011 8:13 PM by  claims_ray
Out of state taxes
 4 Replies
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

09/26/2011 9:18 PM

    Hi folks,


    I hope one or two of you can shed light on this query for me.   I am being state tax audited for several years -- and just got finished with a nice round of federal tax audits.

            I am an IA .    Is income i earn out of state subject to taxation by that state , or does everything revert back to my home state ?  

    In the past 3 years my income has been derived in TX, CO, IA, NE, PA, MD, DC, VA, ----- well,  you guys get the picture.   My home state is Oklahoma ,  roughly 25% of my income was derived there,

           It is fairly easy to break it down and break it out as my storm assignments do not run together.


    What say you guys ?

    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member

    09/27/2011 3:44 PM

    The state income taxes apply to whichever state the income was earned in.                       Yeah, I know,.........don't end a sentence with a preposition.

    If you worked in PA, you get to pay PA state income tax.

    Limit your out of state jobs to state tax.

    Happy Trails

    Larry D Hardin

    09/28/2011 2:06 PM
    You will need to look to the applicable state law where the income was earned. Here are examples based on 20 years IA experience. The laws may have changed since either I or someone I do their taxes for worked in these states. CA they withheld state taxes and you have to file for a refund proving you were an out-of-state resident. MA you pay state income taxes on all income earned in the state regardless if you are a resident. Iowa defers to your federal tax home of residence, which is a totally different review.

    Consult a reputable tax accounted knowledgeable in each state you worked and let them determine your specific state liability.

    Life Member
    Senior Member
    Senior Member

    09/29/2011 7:16 PM
    My accountant files tax returns as needed in the states where I work. I pay the taxes and always have.
    "Prattling on and on about being an ass with experience doesn't make someone experienced. It just makes you an ass." Rod Buvens, Pilot grunt

    09/29/2011 8:13 PM
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

    These Forums are dedicated to discussion of Claims Adjusting.

    For the benefit of the community and to protect the integrity of the ecosystem, please observe the following posting guidelines: 
    • No Advertising. 
    • No vendor trolling / poaching. If someone posts about a vendor issue, allow the vendor or others to respond. Any post that looks like trolling / poaching will be removed.
    • No Flaming or Trolling.
    • No Profanity, Racism, or Prejudice.
    • Terms of Use Apply

      Site Moderators have the final word on approving / removing a thread or post or comment.