March 24, 2020
To: All TDI-regulated carriers, agents, adjusters, and licensees
Re: COVID-19: Suspension of certain licensing requirements and fees
On March 13, 2020, Governor Greg Abbott issued a disaster declaration in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Governor authorized the use of all available state and local government resources necessary to cope with the disaster.
TDI expects carriers to work with their policyholders as they prepare for and respond to the spread of COVID-19. Carriers should look to the Governor’s ongoing declarations related to COVID-19 for guidance on how long to extend relief.
Suspension of licensing requirements and fees for licensees
On March 23, 2020, Governor Greg Abbott approved suspension of certain licensing requirements and fees for Texas‑licensed insurance agents, adjusters, title agents, escrow officers, fire alarm licensees, fire extinguisher licensees, fire sprinkler licensees, life settlement brokers, and life settlement providers.
- For licenses that expired on or before February 29, 2020, the renewal period is extended to May 31, 2020.
- For licenses that expire between March 31, 2020, and April 30, 2020, late fees and continuing education fines will be waived if the license is renewed by May 31, 2020.
- All current temporary licenses and new temporary licenses issued will remain active until further notice.
- The $100 additional fee for a temporary license is waived until further notice.
- The requirement that temporary agent licensees obtain training in a classroom setting is waived. Instead, applicants seeking a temporary license may take approved webinars and courses listed as “classroom equivalent” to satisfy the 10 hours of classroom training.
- The requirement to submit fingerprints for a temporary license is delayed until further notice.
- The requirement that, during any two consecutive quarters, at least 70% of an organization's applicants for temporary licenses take the required licensing examination is waived.
For questions about this bulletin, contact the Agent and Adjuster Licensing Office by calling 512-676-6500 or by email at License@tdi.texas.gov.
Note: You can follow the link below for the actual bulletin.