Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  15:05:19  Show Profile
I have a pair of paws, but recently I purchased a pair of Merrill hiking shoes. They look like brown running shoes but the rubber on the bottom is very soft and they are designed for hiking over rocks and rough country. They grip a roof like nothing I've ever seen and they are good for all day wear. I've been wearing them to work for a month now and they show very little wear and they are as comfortable a shoe as I've ever owned. I'm sure if you go to your local outdoors store you can find something simmilar. I think Vasque is another brand that makes a simillar shoe and they have what is called stealth rubber soles that are supposed to be very sticky. The best part is they cost less than $100 a pair.
Go to Top of Page

bryan newell

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  16:03:54  Show Profile
Kile,
I have Paws as well & was having the same problems that Inside Man was having. Contacted CP about them & they said that there was nothing wrong. I have switched to using the Merrils & am very happy with them. Still working in DFW on the steep ones & am not worried that the paw pad will come off of the boot.
Go to Top of Page

Kelley

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  07:42:54  Show Profile
We have had several different problems with CP and they do not seem to care.
1) Foam pad giving away from cloth backing.
2) Foam pad balling up and flaking off very easily.
3) Sizes being shipped not being consist in size.

I personally discussed # 3 with Tom, he stated he would check on it. I ordered pads last week, the pads I recieved are different from order Tom shipped.
Discussed # 1 & 2 w/ lady there, she stated "just to ship problem pads back for them to check out", of course we have to pay the freight.

Recently had a strap to break on one pair of boots purchased late last fall, not worn until April this year and has been on approx 400 roofs now, they did not want to discuss that problem.

Recently I recieved a shipment w/ two right feet pad, no left.

Don't know where the problems are at CP but they sure have some.

May have to look elsewhere when new foot gear is needed, such a shame for a company like CP not to take a serious loof at problems w/ their products. You would think that a company that sells a product that people basically trust their life to would look real hard at any problem.

This is a situation that needs to be watched, this is serious in our line of work. I need my fellow around for a long time, I want companies that care about the product they are touting for safety to him (& others). I hate to think it would take someone being injured before CP takes a look at what is going on with their product.

Hears to Safety.

One persons dream is another persons nightmare.
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  08:47:59  Show Profile
Hey, Alan!

Do you smell a products liability suit aborning?

Now, folks, let's form an orderly line on the left to sign up for the class action against Cougar Paws. No shoving, and please, try to exercise some decorum for a change.
Go to Top of Page

ALANJ

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  09:01:28  Show Profile
It smells good!!!

I believe our money maker for the year was just born in the atlantic.
Go to Top of Page

RicVitiello

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  19:54:15  Show Profile
As another old timer and with all due respect to Dan cougar,I have said for years, it doesn't matter what you have on your feet if you can't lay on it don't walk on it. If you are wearing Cougar Paws and for whatever reason, lose your balance and end up laying on the roof, you're going off. OSHA says 8/12 is the limit, for good reason.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Toll

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  13:31:26  Show Profile
Ric, I have often wondered why the OSHA rule does not seem to apply to adjusters. Do you have any idea why?? I have seen OSHA shut down a roofing contractor that was not providing rope and harness for his crew, and that was when I was climbing a 10/12 pitched comp roof. Thye saw me and said nothing.
Go to Top of Page

PBOONE

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  15:55:49  Show Profile
I purchased a pair of Paws this past May, but unfortunately they were too large. They were really nice and understanding about refunding the purchase price to me. So.....I went back to my tried and true......Chukkas! They have never let me down and I spent 4 years on two story/steep team.
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  17:31:18  Show Profile
This is question for Pam Boone... Did you believe it was necessary to climb all the steep roofs ? Could your principal have accomplished the same result by "letting you get as close to it as you could"?
Go to Top of Page

sbeau4014

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  21:45:27  Show Profile
PBOONE, where do you find your Chukka's at? I wore those for about 10 years (soles are about the same as Paws) but haven't been able to fins them for the last 5 yrs or so.
Go to Top of Page

fivedaily

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  07:26:07  Show Profile
http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/product.asp?cm_cg=T1&product_id=24596&nv=2|21472|17|22469
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Search/keyword_results.asp?usersearch=chukkas&ShowImages=yes
http://www.sheplers.com/item.cfm?TID=011407&DI=050521
http://www.bamason.com/product.asp?family%5Fid=3953

Do you need anymore sources! All of these sources, and many more, came from a simple search on Google. Anyone can use that site, you don't need a password or an account. Just this website (http://www.google.com) and a clue (no matter how small) as to what you want to know about. This works for shoes, companies, licensing information, case law, product information, etc...

Jennifer

(If any link doesn't work, just cut & paste it into your browser.)

Edited by - fivedaily on 09/10/2003 07:27:44
Go to Top of Page

PBOONE

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  11:01:31  Show Profile
I find my Chukkas at any western store. Or, online as Jennifer outlined above. This year, chukkas have a new sole on them. They actually look and feel like the bottoms of Paws. But, of course, they fit better, not heavy, and you can actually wear them out in public. Don't get me wrong. I think I would have liked my paws if they would have fit. Being a southern girl, I prefer the Chukkas. Good luck.

PAM BOONE
Go to Top of Page

sflorig

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  21:50:50  Show Profile
Does anyone believe you can walk up a 14/12 pitched roof with any kind of shoes? I mean straight up the slope, not a valley and without rope and harness.
I think not...
Go to Top of Page

mcaldwell

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  08:01:39  Show Profile
My wife will not got on anything w/ a pitch w/out cougar paws. I believe in Ariat ropers, lace up or pull on. They wear like tennis shoes and give a good confident feel on shingles. I will walk a 11/12 no problem if the granules are not coming off. The soles last along time and you can buy them for $100.00. 14/12 no way, ridges and valleys only.
Go to Top of Page

dbeatham

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  23:17:22  Show Profile
I am not buying someone walking up a 14/12 without a rope either.

Next there will be someone saying they climb a 15/12, then a 16/12, do I hear 18/12" Hell let's say we walked straight up a vertical wall with our "magic shoes". Can you beat that?

I don't believe it.

Traveling man, good with compass and square needs training in Cat adjusting.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000