Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Todd Summers

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  15:50:00  Show Profile
Has anyone ever used one of these? Looks pretty good...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=116807

Amber

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  16:41:10  Show Profile
I use a TeleSteps ladder. It's similar to the one you've found. Here's a link to the one I use: http://www.rewci.com/tellad.html

I've really enjoyed mine! I bought the 12.5 ft model. It's light weight, easy to carry, fits in the back of just about any vehicle. I believe the weight limit is set around 225#. Not a concern for me.

The pins on the bottom make for a quick release. You hold onto the side and control the lowering. Watch your fingers though!!

One down fall is that it could be bad if you need to get on a two story and there's no deck in the rear.

I'd suggest you do some research on the ladder you've found. If I'm not mistaken.... you have to release each rung individually on that ladder. As adjusters we're looking for time savers, not extenders!

~Amber
"If you think something small cannot make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito in the room." ~unknown
Go to Top of Page

dbeatham

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  16:44:25  Show Profile
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=storehome%2fpg_storehome.jsp&cm_ven=1ebiz2hd_AdWords113&cm_cat=Search&cm_ite=2893-HD-BR-Ex-Home+Depot

This is a folding 13 foot Gorilla (brand) ladder for 99 bucks at Home Depot. They make a 22 foot folding ladder for $199. Both are 300lb rating. I would like to know if anyone has used these Gorilla brand ladders.

On the Telescoping ladder I would check the duty ratings (which are not mentioned in the link you posted). [;)]

Luck to you.

Traveling man, good with compass and square needs training in Cat adjusting.
Go to Top of Page

Amber

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  16:47:31  Show Profile
One additional comment.... I get a kick out of policyholder's reactions when they find out I have a ladder in my vehicle.

~Amber
"If you think something small cannot make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito in the room." ~unknown
Go to Top of Page

khromas

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  19:41:37  Show Profile
Used the telescoping ladder for 7 years while on staff at a major carrier and loved it for simplicity. Make sure you give it a good 'bounce' after you extend it though in order to make sur each rung is locked. A fellow adjuster did not and had one slip a rung just as he was steping off on t the roof. A fall with multiple fractures in his leg resulted.

As an IA, I use the folding style. A little more secure, a little more heigth, about the same ease in extension and a LOT cheaper!

Kevin Hromas
Go to Top of Page

PBOONE

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  19:50:09  Show Profile
The telescoping ladders are also sold on www.professionalequipment.com. Same ladder but priced higher.

PAM BOONE
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  22:48:58  Show Profile
Sam's sells a ladder made by Cosco. It's called the World's Greatest Ladder. I think it sells for around $130 and it extends to 17 feet. It will get me on 99% of the houses that I've done in the last 2 years. It's like the Gorilla ladder but I think it is better made. The only drawback for some is that it is kind of heavy but I like that. It's rated for 250 pounds.
Go to Top of Page

Wes

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  09:03:26  Show Profile
http://www.acehardware.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=1260476&cp=1254891

The Climbtek 16' articulated ladder will do it all and the price is right.
Go to Top of Page

mcaldwell

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  09:18:57  Show Profile
Sam's sells a Little Giant knock off for $140.00 rated for three hundred pounds. The ladder has one hinge in the middle with extending ends. I have used it for three years with out a hitch. The bases are wide and extremly sturdy. The ladder is a little heavy but the stability is worth it, especially for double pulls. The weight is free exercise. This ladder has the same reach as a 16' extension ladder.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  17:06:08  Show Profile
Mcaldwell, that's the one that I use. I actually own two of them and wouldn't go on a storm with out them.
Go to Top of Page

fivedaily

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  18:23:39  Show Profile
I have a Little Giant at work and because I don't have deep pockets I have the Costco (Sam's ladder) that I use at home. There is a definite weight difference. Also, the Costco ladder doesn't have the stop just before the ladder is almost closed to prevent pinched fingers.

To keep my post to the question at hand though, I would never use a telescoping ladder. I am always too nervous about them collapsing on me.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Fpbcal

5 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  21:40:02  Show Profile
I have seen a lot of those telescoping ladders out there but it is not for me. I have sent two back on warranty for failure and threw the third one in the dumpster and walked away before I got carried away.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Toll

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  21:57:30  Show Profile
There is no substitute for a Little Giant. I have seen the knock offs and they do not have the quality the Little Giant series do. Janice has her 12' and I have my 17', both rated at 250#. We have used them for years, take care of them properly and expect to have many more years of use. The old cliche that "you get what you pay for" applies here. Would not leave home without it.[:D]
Go to Top of Page

Linda

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  22:42:59  Show Profile
I have used the Telestep ladder for several years and so far have never had a single incident. I will admit I was a bit nervous on one occasion when a reinspector decided to join me on the roof. My ladder is rated for 225# and in my limited career as a "weight guesser", he will top 300#. It swayed a bit but held fast. So long as you check the locks, which are very visible, it will hold and not collapse. I always whack it on the ground just to make certain all latches are locked. I don't recommend them for everyone as they do require some maintenance and most don't want to mess with it. Debris is their worst enemy. Sand in the tubes makes it real work to properly extend it. So I try to keep it clear of sand and dirt and occasionally lubricate it with Gunk Teflon spray. Some have used WD40 but unfortunately it attracts dust, dirt and sand and the Teflon does not. I keep mine in the cover when not in use.

I own two of them. If I need to double pull, I use one on the ground and carry the other on my shoulder to the second level. Admittedly, it is difficult to double pull a single ladder as the rings will catch on the gutter making it absolutely necessary to pull it straight up and slightly away from the gutter. Again, they work great for me but they aren't for everyone.

They also were great for the adjusters who had to take the boat over to Hatterass Island after Isabel.
Go to Top of Page

okclarryd

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2004 :  11:38:58  Show Profile
I have a Telesteps for the double pulls (don't tell my employer as they say it is a reason for termination) and the Cosco ladder from Sam's. The Costco knockoff is the most stable ladder I've used in my short career and I just wouldn't be able to do without it. The Telesteps is my second one. I broke the first being stupid and not being careful.

LARRY D HARDIN
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2004 :  13:34:11  Show Profile
Larry, please explain why using a telestep for a double pull would be grounds for termination? Is it because it is a non-approved ladder?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000