Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

inside man

45 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  20:35:13  Show Profile
Anyone else having trouble with the "new" Cougar Paw pads?
I have had several slips on roofs in excess of 9/12 pitchs. My foot will slip and leave a trail of pad on the roof.
I don't feel comfortable on steep roofs anymore with these shoes.
Any comments?

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  21:31:12  Show Profile
Sorry to hear that. Have owned them since 1999, and used them twice. I just somehow cannot trust my life to a velcro pad and foam rubber.

Roofs in NOVA, similar to Dallas, that my partner and I used to Rope & Harness daily, were all of a sudden not that steep to him, and he choose to "PAW IT".

I did not, do not, and will not.

False confidence will get someone killed one of these days.

Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  07:05:36  Show Profile
Has anybody tried broom ball boots?
Go to Top of Page

Ron McGuire

7 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  10:33:41  Show Profile
I recently stumbled onto "KORKERS" on the internet. They are
"sandals" that strap on over your regular footwear. They have replacable pads for metal and composition roofs. Also with spikes for wood roofs. They are a little cheaper than "Paws:. Has anyone tried them?
Go to Top of Page

TomWeems

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  09:38:04  Show Profile
My Paws are 4 years old, and I won't get on a roof over 6/12 without them. I can easily walk 12/12 and have never had a problem. Other than wearing out a lot of pads in the Dallas area! I'm a big guy, and no longer the gazell I was a few years ago, but for me, they are the best thing going. Don't leave home without them!!
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  15:08:47  Show Profile
Who started the trend-every ridge must be walked, and a photo taken from the ridge before you get paid? I was trained to measure roofs by a WWII vet who had one leg blown off, and he could walk on some of them, but his instructions were: get as close to it as you can. He also said if you can see hail damage at the top of the ladder, it will also be on the ridge, and on steep 2-3 story walk around the block and you could see the missing shingles. He also said if a man made it a man can repair it that was in 1957 and I have never had a roof claim kicked back because I did not walk the ridge.
Go to Top of Page

TomWeems

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  16:33:03  Show Profile
It's always been so as far as I can remember, roof shot top down. It ensures that the adjuster is not doing "drive bys" and they will if you give them a chance. Not that anyone that cares enough to be on this board would do that, but there are a lot of folks out there that just don't have the professionalism...
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  16:59:07  Show Profile
Tom I hear you. I remember in Betsy totaling out all that blue peach stone slate on tenant houses near the quarter, placing it in a roofers warehouse for all my big mansions down in the garden district, never getting a complaint about walking the ridge, but managing to stay 6 months and work about 600.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Toll

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  21:04:28  Show Profile
Janice and I both have the Cougar Paws and love em. I wear a size 15 shoe and the Paws 14 fits me perfectly. Janice and I will not get on anything over 7/12 without the Paws and have never had a slip problem. I think it is totally insane for anyone to insist that a ridge shot be taken on a 12/12 pitch without rope and harness. 10/12 is dangerous enough without a quick open parachute. Tom, unfortunately is right, we watched several adjusters in Plano walk around a roof, never did put their ladders up, and totaled the roofs. Now we were just across the street and could find no hail damage. Both adjuster's had signs on their vehicles of the two big boy companies. These particular roofs were in the 8 to 9/12 pitch roofs. Here I am, 63 years old, climbing those roofs and two youngsters standing on the ground making an evaluation. Whats next.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  12:41:18  Show Profile
Tom, I have done all of my IA work for one of the two big boy companies and I have never had a manager that would allow us to pay for a roof without at the very least looking at it from the top of the ladder. As Trader said if you can see it from the top of the ladder it's going to be at the ridge too. I personally walk anything up to a 10/12, hopefully they have at least a valley to use. If the roof's you were seeing were 8's and 9's I don't think any manager that I have worked with would allow any of their adjusters to total them without a good walk around. We are required to include a close up picture of one of the hail hits along with an over view showing the requisite amount of hits per square in oder to pay for one. I don't see how anyone can include those in the file without ever setting up a ladder.
Go to Top of Page

Kelley

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  19:47:37  Show Profile
Have had problems w/ pads seperating from the backing. Also, the new pads fit the full size & a half size which seems not to be a good ideal. The pad does not fill up the space on the full size which allows it to snag. We have tried scooting it forward but will not go all the way. Talked with the guy at Cougap Paws about this, not that it did a bit of good. Why is it that ppl try to "fix things" when they are not even broke. Cougar Paws are the best things going at the moment but there does seem to be a situation here.

It would also be nice if they would give a volume disount. We are going through at least a pair a week. Ordering 6 pair at a time but they will not budge off of the price. Guess we are a captive sales.

One persons dream is another persons nightmare.
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  17:03:08  Show Profile
I attempting to explain the lack of faith co.'s have in "Stormers". They will use the "walk the ridge, shoot dowm" to chase off the old guys. I still get work on fire & floods, if the building & contents are gone. T & E also.
Go to Top of Page

JMooreKC

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  00:39:00  Show Profile
My "Paws" work great other then the fact there are 2 seams on the bottom that come apart from time to time, maybe my pair is just defunked but a little super glue and they are good to go.
Go to Top of Page

cat man do

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  08:41:22  Show Profile
I Have used my Paws for 5 Years and I have inspected a average of 400 claims a year . and I always get on the roof As to complete My inspection . and I have never had prob with pads. And in ohio I just inspected an 14/12 roof no slipping
Go to Top of Page

TomWeems

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  11:40:41  Show Profile
I have had a pad separate due to some flaw in the material. It was not a critical thing, but a portion of the pad did come undone. Compared to climbing without them, they are certainly the best roof tool I have seen in a long time.

My hat's off to Dan Cougar. I wish the pads were still $5 a pair, but compared to the time and effort of a rope and harness team, which would normally be a requirement for all Dallas Roofs, it's a very small price to pay. I can pay for a pair on almost every roof just in the increased productivity.
Go to Top of Page

okclarryd

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  06:31:48  Show Profile
I have to agree with the majority here. The "Paws" are the best tool I have to inspect roofs. If I have a doubt, out come the "Paws" and up I go. We all wish they were cheaper but I think of it as value received.

LARRY D HARDIN
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000