Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  21:39:14  Show Profile
Absolutely F-----g Not! Our professional CADO confederation or association or guild or whatever it will wind up being called, is NOT going to be another vendor or TPA or temp service or whatever the H--- you want to call it.

A professional trade association is for the benefit of the entire profession. It comprises fellow professionals from all the different vendors, carriers, and true independents that practice our common craft of storm trooping. We are for the whole enchilada. We are the solution to the problem and not another piece of the problem.

We are interested, among other things, in our own incomes. If the vendors need 30% to 40% to cover their expenses, overhead, and profit, that's their business. But, we must have our's, and that amount must be based on our true worth as professionals. PROFESSIONALS! We are PROFESSIONALS and we must be compensated in that light. The carriers must and will be forced to treat us in the same light as the legal profession and the medical profession. No longer can we allow them to run roughshod over us thru overstaffing and bilking us on our invoices. Our CADO Association is the means to unite us under a single banner to promote our common good, to represent our common interests, to present us as the preferred choice, and to present a public relations image that WE are the good guys that help them when it all hits the fan. All this and much more is what our CADO Association can do for you, for me, for our entire industry. But...we will not be another vendor.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  21:43:34  Show Profile
Yes we do Scott. But, I can tell you that patience is a definite virtue in pursuit of this goal. It is an idea at times, a concept at other times, that has been dribbled around the floor off and on for well over a year; and this time around it seems to have greater life.
Go to Top of Page

scottposton

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2003 :  21:51:22  Show Profile
Well as I said, count me in and let me know if and how I can help.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2003 :  16:35:18  Show Profile
Alan mentioned in another thread today that, "I believe the organization will be in place by the first of the year. It was a hot topic at our adjuster get together".

I would appreciate if Alan and others would share the discussions that took place about this.
Go to Top of Page

catmanager

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  00:15:55  Show Profile
What was said at the "get together"?
Go to Top of Page

khromas

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  23:01:26  Show Profile
Virtually everyone at the get-together who joined in the discussion regarding organizational issues was of the agreement that the basic structure has to start at the state level. Over time and maturity, the individual state associations would join together into a national association. (EX: The Homebuilder Associations. Virtually every major city has one.) The shear scope and financial costs involved make it extremely difficult to immediately jump to a national association and, like it or not, CADO is strictly a forum for exchanging opinions and operates at Roy's whim since he owns the site. (Which is GREATLY appreciated Roy!)

It was my intent to return to Houston and investigate the mechanics of the formation of the Texas Association of Professional Insurance Adjusters (TAPIA). Membership and accredidation would be obtained through a testing and background analysis and would not be based on anyone's sole claim being "well I've been adjusting claims for 20 years!!!"

As things sometimes turn out, it looks like it may develope into the "Virginia Association of Professional Adjusters" since I have been offered a position here and may be moving sometime after the first of the year. Hopefully, someone else in Texas can get the ball rolling there.

One thing to keep in mind is that it will take a lot of hard work by some dedictated individuals. I believe that the scope has to be broader than just CAT adjusters and for it to have any credibility, there has to be a base level of professional qualifications and requirements.

Tom, Alan, Janice (and others) and I all agreed that it is time that someone just took the iniative and started the ball rolling to get things going. People in other states are going to have to start the processes there, so who is going to step up to the plate?

Kevin Hromas
Go to Top of Page

khromas

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  17:37:39  Show Profile
Has anyone heard or been associated with an organization called "National Association of Catastrophe Adjusters" (NACA)? I ran across their web-site the other night and was curious as to their make-up. They have a 'national' convention scheduled for early next year in Galveston but I may be moved to Virginia by that time. The site lists about 400 members.

Any info would be appreciated!

Kevin Hromas
Go to Top of Page

catmag

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  22:28:28  Show Profile
Would someone give out the Phone and email numbers for NACA? Thanks.

catmag
Go to Top of Page

SeizeOWisdom

25 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  22:39:43  Show Profile
Contact Information:

National Association of Catastrophe Adjusters, Inc.

Lori Ringo, Staff Assistant
P 0 Box 821864
North Richland Hills, Texas 76182
Phone: (817) 498-3466
Fax: (817) 498-0480

http://www.nacatadj.org/html/home.htm

Edited by - AllCatMan on
Go to Top of Page

catmanager

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  23:07:37  Show Profile
Now that everyone has the contact info for NACA, can anyone explain what exactly, other than putting your name in a book and holding a convention, that they do for our community?
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  09:15:00  Show Profile
khromas and catmanager,

Here are some links to some prior discussions from late 1999 and early 2000 on the NACA that might of some help.

http://www.catadjuster.org/discus/messages/2893/315.html
http://www.catadjuster.org/discus/messages/2893/193.html
http://www.catadjuster.org/discus/messages/2893/196.html

And here is one to a Union Discussion.
http://www.catadjuster.org/discus/messages/2893/188.html

Roy Cupps -
CatAdjuster.org :: Contact\Feedback :: Adjuster Roster :: Current Forum
Go to Top of Page

SeizeOWisdom

25 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  13:10:43  Show Profile
Marc (catmanager) you ask a question which I am sure others have asked before either joining NACA or deciding the $100.00 annual fee isn't justified by perceived limited benefits.

Obviously, from first glance, it would appear that you are correct, in that NACA lists it's members in a published as well as online roster, and yes, they do have an annual convention. From a review of their website, it would also appear that NACA offers a plan for discounted E&O insurance, a medical insurance program, and discounts on pharmacy drugs.

Now it seems to me, the question could be asked back fairly of you, what is it that NACA doesn't offer its membership, that you would envision a new association offering the same or a similar membership? And at what additional costs would these additional benefits add to the alternative available to NACA members at the present $100.00 per year?

It seems to me further, especially in reviewing their membership list, that their membership parallels the cat adjusters here, with some of their membership participating here, and some who participate here not participating there. And many in the middle of choosing one and not the other. Yet, all being from among the larger pool of cat adjusters. And in reviewing their membership list for the first time in a long time, I recognized many names of many outstanding cat adjusters that might not be recognizable by name to those who limit their exposure to just CADO.

But I would like to suggest that perhaps instead of looking at what NACA offers in terms of member benefits or doesn't offer, that we approach an examination of NACA in an entirely different light.

Let's look at NACA from an 'M&A' standpoint as if we were businessmen interested in a new business venture. And let's suppose that we had two options we could examine: one of which is a business startup from scratch while the other is the acquisition of an existing ongoing business.

From that standpoint, let's see what NACA has to offer on their balance sheet:

First of all, they have a website.
They have a logo and name.
They have a mission statement.

They also have an Executive Director. Office space. Telephone and fax lines. And no doubt, some of the office furniture and equipment a similar new startup might require.

They also have 398 existing members. Members, who by the way, are from and among the same group of consumers who your target market would identify as potential 'buyers' of 'your product' (i.e., a 'new' association of cat adjusters).

When we look a little closer, we also see that these 398 members are now generating $39,800.00 in yearly membership dues, which let's call cash flow. No doubt there are additional income centers in their organization which might include ad sales, convention and exhibit fees, etc. But clearly, they are $39,800.00 closer to having an association representing cat adjusters than 'we' are.

Now from a pure marketing standpoint, it would seem that if a group here on CADO can offer a better product at a better price, among the generally same group of consumers (cat adjusters whether CADO or NACA or both), then the group idea here would in the end survive while the NACA idea fails.

Now for my radical idea of the day, it seems that from a 'M&A' standpoint, the group here could "buy" the existing NACA business organization (including assets and cash flow) for the low price of $39,000.00, the purchase of which would include the existing $38,900.00 in cash and/or cash flows (which might of course be 'redeployed' for better use).

If you still follow what I am suggesting, it would seem that in order to redirect the goals or mission statement or organizational objectives, then a 'takeover' of the existing business of NACA would be as simple as having one more 'new' member [from among 'your group' who envisions 'your way' being better]. As simple as one more member who sees your vision, supports your goals, and buys into your overall objectives than their current membership (assuming of course, that under the NACA By-Laws a 'majority' rules).

And without regard to anything else, it would seem to me, that if you cannot sell your idea to 399 people (which could well include other existing members of NACA, who perhaps feel that NACA doesn't go far enough in serving the needs of cat adjusters) then from among the thousands of cat adjusters and warm bodies out there pretending to be cat adjusters, the whole concept is doomed whether by NACA or any new group wanting the better mouse trap.

And beyond the obvious benefits, a 'merger' would instantly provide you with a membership base of 398 folks and much promise for several economies of scale which would come as your membership increases.

I invite your comments for discussion and thank you for listening to another point of view, however radical it might seem.

Edited by - SeizeOWisdom on 11/16/2003 13:27:39
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  15:44:30  Show Profile
Marc, perhaps there is an easier way to wade through the attempt by SOW to compare NACA and CADO, and other related issues that were brought forward.

We just have to tip toe through the mine fields over time (almost 4 years to the week), for a comparative glimpse.

Review the 1999 quoted excerpts carefully from the links that Roy provided, then the 2003 post quotes.

I won't offer an opinion, other than to say I'm still struggling as to whether to consider this under the platform of pessimism (edited version), or contrarianism (the pre-edit version); or something else.

User "Jim Flynt" said on 11/30/99 with regards to NACA, ".... personally I can think of better ways myself to spend over $100.00 a year ....".

User "Jim Flynt" said on 11/30/99 with regards to CADO versus NACA, ".... The Best news for adjusters is that CADO costs them nothing while NACA wants your dues for God only knows what in return ....".

User "Jim Flynt" said on 11/29/99 with regards to comparing the value of NACA to CADO, ".... a few years ago, I and several other friends dropped out of NACA when they raised the dues. My concern was not the dues increase, but a question of whether I was getting my money's worth in exchange for the dues being paid. Upon reflection, the answer I arrived at was NO .... No where did I see NACA developing and maintaining a website for communication and education such as Roy has developed here on CADO ....".

User "Jim Flynt" said on 11/30/99 with regards to CADO developing a certification program, ".... what if CADO instituted a National Certification Program which was not a "joke" as some certifications are now? What (if) the CADO certification went beyond what is there now so that it had real meaning? What if it became THE CERTIFICATION recognized by most if not all carriers who now use certification? ....".

Now, on 11/15/03, user "SeizeOWisdom" said in the ".... Shame" thread, concerning any attempt within CADO to form an organization, ".... many here seem to think that organizing a new association will suddenly change the playing field among adjusters, vendors and carriers, and I say to them, get your heads out of the sand ....".

Now, on 11/15/03, user "SeizeOWisdom" said in a current thread, concerning attempts within CADO to develop a certification program, ".... when I read comments here saying well lets start an association which will show the carriers that we are 'professionals' I have to wonder why we can not recognize existing designations already out there? ....".
Go to Top of Page

SeizeOWisdom

25 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  15:49:55  Show Profile
With all due respects, I stand by the comments I made THEN and I stand by the comments I made NOW and I see no conflict whatsoever between the two sets of comments, though made at different times. For anyone who sees otherwise, they simply fail to understand my words and their meanings then and now, and obviously see simply their own self induced illusions.

I further dropped my membership in NACA back then because I did indeed feel that I could better spend my $100.00 for greater benefits elsewhere nor would I spend $100.00 now to join any similar association offering more or less the same or a similar set of membership benefits.

The point I was trying to make then, and I still seek to make now, is that neither NACA nor CADO offers nor likely can or will offer a certification equal to CPCU or AIC. And because of that, any offering of certification by either will thus lack any real value or true meaning (at least to the vendors and carriers).

And while NACA is now 398 members and $38,900.00 ahead of your discussed new association, I remain unimpressed with such poor participation from among the thousands of full and part time cat adjusters out there.

Honestly, there were more than 398 new "warm bodies" working on Isabel for the very first time handling claims who could hardly be labelled cat adjusters!

Finally, my earlier post was not to embrace nor endorse the mission statement, goals or purpose of NACA, nor to justify their existence, but rather to float the perhaps novel idea that a takeover might not be a bad new beginning for all concerned, including their own existing members, who are after all, part and parcel of the same family of cat adjusters as us.

Jim Flynt

Edited by - SeizeOWisdom on 11/16/2003 16:16:27
Go to Top of Page

ALANJ

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  20:20:14  Show Profile
Several things our little Va. group discussed. One was you'll never come up with something that everyone will agree on. Let the naysayers be naysayers. Just incorporate a national group and be done with it. It only cost a few hundred bucks to incorporate. All you really need is a little money and someone willing to be president. If you wanna join, then join. If not, then your still our friend. Does everyone remember the story of the Little Engine that Could?

Quit talking about how it will not, can not work. Just set back and watch. I was really surprised at all the legal beagle adjusters at the meeting. We all agreed that this org. will take five to ten yrs. before it has any teeth. Are you ready to be a charter member?

Edited by - ALANJ on 11/16/2003 20:23:03
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000