The contrasting benefits of NACA vs CADO
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  12:01:40  Show Profile
I have spent a fair bit of time walking through all the parts of the NACA site, and I like to think I'm pretty familiar with the CADO site.

Aside from a bit of critique about NACA found in various threads on this site, including the archives, and aside from the mission statement of NACA; I'm still not clear on the benefits and features of NACA membership and how that may contrast to the same in CADO.

One thing is very clear in scanning the membership of NACA, is that there is a very impressive amount of people with an RPA designation; and a good number of people with an AIC or more.

An obvious contrast is that NACA does not have a forum for discussions on any subject, be in general or specific; other than you can funnel a question through a central source and if someone in NACA feels it is appropriate they will post the question, then you can funnel an answer or comment through that central source for consideration.

Another obvious contrast is that NACA has a declining membership, in fact it seems that one of its primary goals for 2004 is to double the current 398 members.

What was NACA's "draw" in their formative years, since their inception in 1976?

What tangible things caused their membership count to go dormant and then go into decline?

There are a few NACA members whom I recognize as CADO members. Would any of them care to comment on the contrasting features / benefits that they perceive from NACA or CADO?

Why would their membership count be weighed so heavy - in contrast to CADO - with members carrying one or more professional designations?

Although NACA's goal is to increase membership, I see no obvious avenue for an outsider to obtain any application forms or to seek instructions in the process for membership.

NACA does seem to recognize the value of education and training, and pursues various means to accredite educational processes sponsored by them with CE credits towards licencing or the RPA designation, or maintenance of those.

NACA does seem to be quite a distinct "society" from that of CADO. Is that from an evolutionary process, or by design?

Is there a contrast of note on becoming a member of either? With CADO you register and you are in and can use a different user name; with NACA is it as simple as a fee with some data on an application and two signed sponsors from existing members?

Cost of membership is quite a contrast, with NACA having a 3 figure annual cost, and CADO being minimal at most. I wouldn't think that would be a significant detterent to membership for NACA, but I suppose that is relevant to value perceived in membership.

Edited by - CCarr on 12/02/2003 12:23:45

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  12:21:53  Show Profile
I would like to address one of the items listed in the above post as it relates to membership counts. Here at CADO we have never really collected "professional designations" as part of any registration or sign-up forms. However, I would like to think that out of the more than 3,900 registered users of CADO we would find more than several hundred with "professional designation".

Roy Cupps -
CatAdjuster.org :: Contact\Feedback :: Adjuster Roster :: Current Forum
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  12:34:19  Show Profile
Clayton, your dancing around the bush, let's cut straight to the root.

The prime difference twixt NACA and CADO is that they are a closed society and we are an open society. An analogy might be to compare the old Communist Iron curtain countries to the free-wheeling decadent west.

Here, we cuss and discuss all manner of topics related to the Claims world and welcome any one in the Cosmos to join in. Ours is a clubhouse without doors and no appointed bouncer. NACA is not. We are a hard working, fun loving bunch. They are a bunch of stuffed shirts whose sole raison-de-etre is the annual party boat.

It is this forum that is our stength. Our constant capability to air our dirty laundry gives us the power that NACA can only dream about. The same goes for the publications catering to the insurance world like 'Insurance Journal' and 'Claims' magazine. Our instant communication on any given topic with some of the most brillant minds still breathing, (and, that includes you, Jim Flynt, Dave Hood, Kile Anderson, Joe Lombardo, Linda, Jennifer, Cecilia, Alan, William Cook, Darryl, Olderthendirt, etal), places our uniqueness in a catagory by itself.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again; We are the Big Dog on the block. Above all, it is our human-ness that gives this place that down home feel. That is what makes the rest of the world jealous. We've got it...and they don't!

Do we have the capacity to grow? Yep! Do we have the talent to make it grow? Yep! Do we have the long term commitment to keep it healthy and viable? Yep! Have I spread enough fertilizer into the tilled soil to make the seed germinate?

Evidently, not yet. (Clayton, you and Jim!, Pass the horse apples and lessee if that works. And quit throwing them at each other, they cost good money.)
Go to Top of Page

deleted

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  14:04:21  Show Profile
Edit: Comments removed, off-topic. Author if you wish to post your comments please consider starting another thread.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2003 :  19:10:41  Show Profile
G'man, your thoughts pretty well stayed focused on one issue - closed versus open society.

I don't understand the hard working / fun loving, versus stuffed shirts whose sole goal is an annual boat party.

Yes, the forum is CADO's principal strength, and the distinguishing feature between a closed or open environment.

Is there any other contrasts, other than closed or open?

I note Roy's comment regarding his thoughts on "professional designations" within the CADO population. It was just an observation on my part, while scrolling through the NACA membership list; something that hadn't been evident in CADO while looking at people's user profile, the roster, or the occasional gander through the resumes.

Anyway, I look forward to input on other questions posed in the opening post, or other comments relative to what "defines" the two groups.

The intent is to explore these issues within the context of the hopefully still alive concept of some type of association. Perhaps if the features, benefits and contrasts can be identified and studied; another piece of the puzzle may become apparent.
Go to Top of Page

okclarryd

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  07:20:19  Show Profile
I thought about joining NACA but after I sobered up, I couldn't remember the reason for doing so.

This open discussion website is really quite interesting. I don't always agree with what's being posted but that in itself is interesting sometimes. The widely varied viewpoints on almost any given subject are educational and thought provoking.

When you're on a 10/12 roof in Plano, Tx in August or in a flooded basement in Chicago in January, I'm not real sure what your CPCU or AIC or ???? designation is worth.

The folks here at CADO are the "been there, done that" group and that means more to me than the more highly schooled and professionally designated group.

I'll stay right here, thank you.

LARRY D HARDIN
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000