Adjuster "better / best" - "jobs / pay"
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  09:27:22  Show Profile
I'm not sure if the title will entirely match the content, it's a lot like newspaper headlines; what will catch the eye or provoke the mind. As my thoughts race ahead of my fingers, I've already gone back and changed the title from my original entry of "Adjuster Pay Bands / Scales".

CADO has had another little run at membership growth, overnight and this morning. The one before Rodger, (bambebarnabe) I wonder if someone is trying to pull my feathers, however she could be an Admin Assist. for a HopScotch Mutual or the Carolina Pig Farmers; I've said all I can say on that and I'll just have to see what our venerable Administrator a/o the community at large have to say or decide to do.

But our newest (as of about 8.30 AM) member, Rodger Gray from Baltimore is an adjuster; chalk one up for the good side!

Now Rodger when you see this, please do not feel vunerable; nor is the spot light meant to be a critique. I do hope you react positively, and provide some insight and comments.

Rodger's Bio, in his User Profile, say he is a "Large Loss Homeowners lines property adjuster; but his comments indicate he is "looking for a better job, better pay". It is to this paragraph that the title relates to.

I don't know of too many adjusting jobs that would be a 'better job' than a large loss homeowners adjuster. Given one is trained sufficiently and carries the requisite experience, perhaps there is only two others that I could think of - a large loss commercial (HPR) adjuster, or that unique and rare ocean marine adjuster. All this, whether they be staff or IA derived claim assignments; and I don't know from which side of the fence Rodger is looking from.

Tom Toll, for example, may yet today, or certainly likely would have some years ago; suggested that aviation claims were the pinnacle of challenge and the 'better job' in the context of the issue.

Others may scoff at any of these, and profess their 'better / best' to be pure cat adjusting (whether they worked 12 or 42 weeks this year), or others will stand firm behind the day to day IA position with multi-line property claims.

What is your ultimate 'better / best (claims) job', and why; all assuming the requisite training and experience? Consider all that outside of compensation issues, just what is the 'better / best' claims type job?

As well, Rodger's other comment was he was looking for 'better pay'. I'm not privy to pay bands / scales for carriers south of the border, but here in the frosty north, an adequately trained adjuster with about 10 years of increasingly complex claims experience, acting as a senior road adjuster and handling 'large loss homeowners claims'; would have a 'median range' salary scale of $63-65K, with the low end likely no less than $58K and the high end about $72K. In addition, there would be the company Chevy, all tools, great benefits, and 4 weeks holidays. The same person with a reputable IA firm, could easily turn $90K (their cut) for the same efforts; and in the IA world of getting paid for productivity, the person could earn (their cut) $120K plus an allowance for the Chevy and at least reasonable benefits and 3 weeks holidays.

Rodger, it is not my intent to burn you under a spot light, but could you share with us why you are looking for two 'better' things - the better job and the better pay - or how you perceive your present situation to be inadequate relative to those concerns? I think you may enlighten a lot of people.

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  10:07:35  Show Profile
One cann't assume that large loss homeowners adjuster is paid according in a company enviroment. Many companies will use realitivity inexperienced adjusters at low pay and when they gain experience loss and replace them with another low paid employee. I was assigned total loss fires after 6 months of my becoming a "property adjuster" and I was not far from the minimum wage. That was 25 years ago and some things never change. The best job can change. If you are raising a family a well paying staff job is best, you can see your loved ones every day. When you owe for your daughter's wedding or before setting down there is nothing that beats cat work. Even if we occasionally get to tighten a few notches on our belts. (And if you have ever been to a large cat many of us should be trying to tighten our belts). Mean while good luck to those who are California bound to work the storms over the holidays and greetings to all those getting moldy.

Edited by - olderthendirt on 12/22/2002 10:09:10
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  11:51:00  Show Profile
CCARR, are your numbers in north of the border dollars or south of the border dollars?
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  15:14:56  Show Profile
That would be gold colored loonies, silver with gold centered twoonies, blue paper with multi hues fivers, purple with pink hued ten spots, lovely pale green twenties, brilliant chartreuse fifties, and real brown sugar hundreds. As long as you collate the colors in your stash, you cann't go wrong; they did for the Newfs eh.
Go to Top of Page

Johnd

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  17:42:14  Show Profile
Last time my wife went to the bank she had a slight slip up when receiving her cash and said good now I can buy Park Place. Actually the $20's and $100.s are sometimes easy to at a glance mix up. Ah I believe you misspelled colours though ehh.

John Durham
sui cuique fingunt fortunam
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  21:12:24  Show Profile
I'm learning my lessons here slowly but surely. Twelve hours, 57 viewers, three of five posts over the damned stupid colour of money. I've wasted my time.
Go to Top of Page

tomgriffin56

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  21:16:55  Show Profile
I don't know for sure, but I've been trying to take stock of the opportunities and possibilities. It seems so far that if a fellow had the necessary qualifications and could get in on large loss commercial it would come closest to fitting my better/best, especially if you could utilize some other specialized knowledge, say medical equipment familiarity or heavy equipment knowledge. However, not too good to throw too tight a loop, if you know what I mean.
Go to Top of Page

tomgriffin56

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2002 :  21:21:55  Show Profile
I don't think you've wasted your time. You may expect too much speed from some of us slow'uns though.
Go to Top of Page

hail_razor

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2002 :  12:15:33  Show Profile
I think the "right job" with the "right pay" really depends on what you and your family is comfortable with. We all know that CAT adjusters "can" make a ton of money but one has to be established with the right people/companies in order to stay busy all year, not to mentions skilled at their profesion. I feel that making a decent living, gaining knowledge, and building a firm foundation to stand on, out weighs the overall dollar amount made each year. They always say that people live within their means regardless of how much money they make and from what I have seen this is true. I would suggest to any adjuster that they cut back on their overall expenses and the rest will take care of itself. Anyway, have a Merry Christmas everyone and be safe out there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000