Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

catadj

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  08:31:38  Show Profile
Here are some links to a few of the threads in the Forum Archives on the subject of "Organization".

CAT Adjuster CO-OP Thoughts12/31/2001, 55 posts.
CADO - Catastrophe Adjusting Development Organization12/18/01, 40 posts.
Cat Adjuster Union11/13/1999, 99 posts.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  09:00:25  Show Profile
More thoughts for your reflection, on creating a portion of the measurement of professional competency; within the parameters of Chuck's portion of the equation.

This all follows on my suggestion that there be "levels of competency", whether they be "A, B, C", or "junior, intermediate, senior"; and that there are two streams of established competency - "Personal Property" and "Commercial Property", which could lead to a third "All Property".

I suppose theoretically, a person could then be sanctioned - just to give an example - as a "Personal Property - Senior Level" and "Commercial Property - Junior Level", which would / could only carry an "All Property - Junior Level" (being the lowest achieved in either stream).

Therefore, I would suggest that as the questions / quizzes evolve and gather, that they be classed.

First, as Personal Property or Commercial Property, and I recognize there will be necessary overlap.

Then second, as an "A, B, C" or "junior, intermediate, senior"; question.

At some point in time during this process, i.e. during Chuck's vision of the quiz component, to capture and evaluate non-technical aspects of competency - i.e. file notes, report writing etc; a portion of the quiz for each level should include other than true/false and multiple choice options - causing full sentences and paragraphs to be used.

This could easily be a Word document answer produced - within a time frame (more on that later) - and emailed to say 5 designated reviewers to independently grade.

Parameters or categories should be established for the quiz questions. Each question should fall into one of the categories established.

For consideration, I will start the list of categories.

(a) Policy Knowledge - to determine the ability to "read" and interpret wordings. Quiz questions should encompass a number of specific standard wordings for both the PP and CP streams. Obviously, the CP quiz components will have many more subcategories than the PP so as to deal with the much broader scope of available coverages.

(b) Communication & Comprehension - to determine the ability to extract pertinent data from a "pile of fluff", interpret that data, and convey that data professionally to others; and the reverse flow back down to a "policyholder".

(c) Construction Knowledge - to determine the ability to recognize building components, sections and pieces, and how they may relate to each other. Quiz questions would be created for both streams - PP & CP.

(d) Scoping Damages - to determine the ability to manage a damaged loss site, to recognize damaged property, properly identify it and quantify it, and understand how it may relate to associated components. There would be some overlap of questions, but both streams - PP & CP - would have this quiz category.

(e) Estimating Damages - to determine the ability to take a completed scope of damages - whether it was one completed by the person doing the estimate or provided to him/her - and transform it into a logical, orderly and proper estimate of damages. Quiz questions would be required for both streams - PP & CP.

(f) Adjuster "Savvy" - to determine the ability to know the right questions to ask and to ask them the right way, so as to obtain answers that will be clear and of value to the adjustment process. The same concept applies in regards to answering questions. Quiz questions would be required for both streams - PP & CP.

(g) ???

That is just my thoughts on my overnight reflections on the issue.

And, again I agree and recommend, that this component should only be one piece of the competency pie.

Verifiable assessment and evaluation of work history and standing among a person's peers, should in some defined fashion (within the "junior, intermediate, senior" parameters) take place.

Keep it going and keep it "can do" positive - if we roll out enough, this may gain momentum this time.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  11:19:14  Show Profile
Clayton, I understand your thoughts, but to get a start we will collect questions from the adjuster population and formulate a test. Scoring will not be based on 60, 70, 80% scoring will be against the statistical mean. Once we have a pool of questions the population will judge which questions are appropriate to property, workers's comp, liability etc. and the population will determine how to seperate junior from senior. As noted we have the server in place and a domain name reserved. Over the weekend we will designate a email address and the population can bombard us with questions and answers. We already have the those submitted by the G Buster.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2003 :  11:37:47  Show Profile
Seems I get myself sidetracked with my thoughts on the evolving concept of an "organization".

Perhaps, while we have started to talk of the evolving steps and "ways to" achieve them, we should address the core parameters sooner than later; to which everything else must be designed, defined and fall within.

What is it that you want the core parameters of a possible / potential organization to be and do?

I'll throw some on the table.

(1) what are the goals of the organization?

(2) what is the structure of the organization?

(3) once established, what medium will the organization use to communicate to those who wish to participate?

(4) create a "mission statement" for the organization

(5) what budget is required for the organization, once established?

(6) what are the sources of revenue for the organization?

(7) consider and define who the adjusting fraternity is, who may seek sanctioning by the organization

(8) can, should, will sanctioned people within the organization be monitored, via annual or bi-annual renewal assessment criteria?

(9) offer the defined adjusting fraternity opportunities to be sanctioned by the organization at the various levels of professional standards offered by the organization

(10) establish ways and means to develop measurable levels of professional competency

(11) plan and implement competency testing and grading criteria

(12) how will and to what extent will the organization portray to the insurance industry its "mission statement", values and sanctioned people to the insurance industry?

(13) ???

Hopefully this is some fodder to get the "gray cells" churning.
Go to Top of Page

TomWeems

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2003 :  13:31:42  Show Profile
I heard a real interesting phrase the other day that got me thinking. It seems that the School Board here ran everyone off a few years ago and filled all the positions with political hacks. So corruption ran rampant to the point where there are several hundred "ghost" employees that have been being paid every week for the last 20 years. Some of them have retired without ever working!! When the State Auditors came in and looked at it, and realized the depth of the problem (20 MILLION a year) they blamed it in part on a "Lack of Institutional Memory". In other words, they fired or retired all the folks that had been setting up proceedures and implementing them for years, and the new guys left the door open for fraud, corruption and ineffency. How many organizations off the top of your head can you apply that to? Lack of Institutional Memory...hmmmmm....
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  08:43:54  Show Profile
Pssssst! C'mon over here and I'll let ya in on a lil' secret or three...

Now, y'all know how I feel 'bout this here concept. I know in my heart it's a good thing. But, what we're lacking from the assorted masses out there is a sense of excitement and anticipation and involevment. This can't be something for only the 10% of the group, it must be for the whole enchilada, i.e. the remaining 90%.

Some of the things they teach at the Yankee War Dept. involve lessons in mass psychology, propaganda, spin control, and how to get a fat cat contractor job when you take off the warrior suit, (but that can be discussed in another forum). What is needed here, in order to avoid the smoke filled room scenario, is to whip up the masses so has not lose momentum in creating this concept of a professional organization.

Are ya seeing where I'm going with this?

We need the equivalent of marching bands, free cigars, baby kissing, scantily clad cheerleaders, (male & female, {it's a brave new world out there, ya know}), parades, confetti and balloons. We need the masses out there to become convinced that the Professional Adjusters Confederation is like the cavalry coming over the hill to save the day. Or, like in that Nelson Eddy/Jeanette MacDonald movie where they sing, 'Give me ten men who are stout hearted men and I'll soon show you ten thousand more!'

Involvement. Excitement. Anticipation. C'mon you clowns...let's get some pizzazz in this!
Go to Top of Page

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  09:21:32  Show Profile
Ghost it will take some hard work by 10% (or fewer) to present something to get the masses excited.

Edited by - olderthendirt on 08/02/2003 20:11:51
Go to Top of Page

Gale

USA
231 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  18:27:49  Show Profile
The Power of One comes to mind Mark.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  19:18:49  Show Profile
We can have people sign up and then appoint members from the list to address each issue as outlined above. If we want to we can use the CADO resources that are already in place. CADO has a quiz (test) system, registration system, payment system and other resources already in place that can be used.

I can setup an area devoted to this subject within the current forum or I can convert the test area to an area devoted to this subject. If you want all interested parties could sign up by folowing this link. Committee members can be selected from the registrations.
The Brotherhood of Adjusters (BOA)

Roy Cupps -
CatAdjuster.org :: Contact\Feedback :: Adjuster Roster :: Current Forum
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  20:15:18  Show Profile
We are moving forward. I will get with Roy and discuss this.
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  00:30:54  Show Profile
AMEN
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  09:03:55  Show Profile
BOA???

Now this is an interesting acronymn. Brotherhood Of Adjusters. But what about it's other connotations such as images of the snake, Boa Constricter, or flamboyant fashion style as in a feather boa. And ... whoa just a minute! Have we forgotten and possibly offended our fellow fair damsels here in the clubhouse? Would we be remise by being gender biased?

Perhaps the naming committee should be convened.

Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  12:08:41  Show Profile
Good point Ghostbuster, of course I prefer CADO. Before you can have a committee you need a group to select them from, so where are the committee members coming from?

Roy Cupps -
CatAdjuster.org :: Contact\Feedback :: Adjuster Roster :: Current Forum
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  14:30:51  Show Profile
COA ? Coalition of Adjusters?

Im in for any and all things, it is about time we got off our duffs and make something happen, instead of watching our entire trade diappear into the folds of the telephone.

Either Lead, follow, or get the Heck out of the way......................
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  17:39:20  Show Profile
Now GB, having pondered your quandry, may the following retorts result in a positive feedback.

So if a BOA Constrictor, (snake), squeezes a little bit, why cant we squeeze a little bit out of what used to be our lively hood? Is this not the entire object lesson we are attempting to impart?

And if the flamboyant BOA feathers, we so decicately handled our claims with, are again remembered and acknowledged, why not.

Finally, our few, and very talented female comrades in arms, surely can't be offended by exhibiting BOA finery, and increased acknowledgement of their talents, and the ability to prade their BOA wares, as we so often do, Can they?

Image Insert:

37.1 KB

Edited by - katadj on 08/03/2003 17:44:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000