Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RBECKINTEXAS

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  22:43:08  Show Profile
With all the recent storm activity, I was just wondering if any one has been put on stand by or is being deployed.

Edited by - Linda on 04/19/2004 22:22:16

catadjuster01

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  23:15:33  Show Profile
Yeah, I'm on my way to St. Paul to work Gorilla hail damage to anything standing on four legs. The short bus is leaving at 4:00am. If you haven't been called yet, don't worry things will pick up for you next storm.
Go to Top of Page

danguyer

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  06:25:15  Show Profile
Preliminary reports are spotty at best. No hail of any significance in the Twin Cities area. I wouldn't pack my bags yet.

I live about three hours north of the Twin Cities metro. The high temperature in my area was 47. Minneapolis had a high of 88. These conditions were favorable for a good storm when the cold front approached. The storm looked very impressive on the radar screen.

I am on call at this time. I anticipate there may be some claims for wind damage in rural areas. The volume for hail claims probably will be minimal at best. We know that you can't believe too much what the media is reporting.

There was some large hail reported in northern Wisconsin over sparsely populated areas.

I will keep you posted.

Dan Guyer
Go to Top of Page

gibkadj

8 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  07:45:12  Show Profile
Any word on Sioux Falls?
Go to Top of Page

danguyer

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  08:12:07  Show Profile
I haven't found anything yet. I will keep you posted if I find
something out.

Dan Guyer
Go to Top of Page

Dakota Kid

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  09:32:05  Show Profile
Sioux Falls, Had hail in the southern part of the city. The hail lasted for about ten minutes. The damage reported in that area is in a small town called Parker, SD. I would say Sioux Falls is a bust.
Go to Top of Page

gibkadj

8 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  11:25:59  Show Profile
Thanks everyone.
Go to Top of Page

teolson

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  09:25:22  Show Profile
I am an independent in southwest MN and I do alot of work for AMFAM out of St. Cloud and Sioux Falls. I have talked with the St. Cloud office so far in there area they have received a small # of losses (200 or less) setting up a couple of drive-ins to handle, internally. Doesnt sound like this storm will amount to much. The problem is there has been no day to day claims up here to speak of in the last 6 months so everyone is slow, we ned a couple more storms soon so that companies need outside help. I am available if anyone knows of someone that does have losses to handle.
Go to Top of Page

Dakota Kid

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  10:12:48  Show Profile
I spoke with a friend at Metlife yesterday and they received 80 claims for the upper midwest region yesterday. The areas hit were very very small. Norfolk sounds like it had the most damage. I got an email from a friend from Midwest Family. They also have not received a whole lot of claims. Your State Farm and American Family and Allstate. Will more then likely be using their own people. Like the guy before mentioned it has been so slow up here for the past year. We need more storms.
Go to Top of Page

kmac

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  04:05:56  Show Profile
Just got put on standby 4-21-04 at 9:00pm for OKC and/or Tusla hail storm with Wardlaw.[:D][:D][:D]

Willie Brown
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  09:44:09  Show Profile
While all of you hound dawgs were looking up in the sky for those little white balls of ice to hit the Midwest, most of New England got hit last week with 4 days of heavy rains (6 to 10 inches) and flooded basement claims are overflowing out of every adjusting company and carrier office up here.

Of course, as multi-line adjusters, why would any of you care what other storm and claims events happen anywhere unless it is one of your beloved hail storms?

Thanks for letting quite a few savvy adjusters make money handling simple HO denials while you are all running around doing hail dances with the Weather Channel blasting out your ears hoping to make a few bucks to tide you over in case a big swirly hits during the 2004 hurricane season.

Some of ya'll never cease to amaze me. When will you ever learn?

Go to Top of Page

Todd Summers

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  11:06:18  Show Profile
JimF,
Please elaborate.... When will we ever learn what? That you need to be a AIC or CPCU in order to work flooded basement claims in Yankeeland? I don't think so and besides, you can have them all. Give me a couple of zip codes in OKC where baseball sized hail demolished everything.

This is an exciting time of year for a lot of us. I don't see what is so amazing about that.

What is your specific point?

Edited by - Todd Summers on 04/22/2004 11:07:39
Go to Top of Page

goose

57 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  11:21:26  Show Profile
Jim's point is under his hat if he thinks that working flood claims is better than working hail. As far as us worrying what happens beyond our "beloved hail",- anything that employs any portion of our work force is good for all of us. Now where are those extra cougar paw pads I bought last year?

Edited by - goose on 04/22/2004 11:24:41
Go to Top of Page

glenn220

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  11:36:34  Show Profile
Have to admit as a rare poster but long time reader this seems out of character for JimF. I'll choose to believe that this was meant to be tongue in cheek and he forgot his smiley. [:D]
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  19:45:44  Show Profile
Ok, let me try this again.

I was trying to make several points actually.

First of all Todd, I never mentioned anything about AIC's or CPCU's or anything like that, nor did I intend any such inference. A multi-line adjuster is a multi-line adjuster right?

According to the research I have looked at, there are over 10,000 storm events per year in the United States. Some of those 10,000 storm events I am sure are hail, although surely far less than a majority.

So, the first point I was trying to make, is that those who visit this site call themselves "catastrophe adjusters", therefore it seems to me, that those same individuals calling themselves cat adjusters would be looking for cat work. Be it hail, wind, ice, or whatever. Monitoring this site especially in the past few days, I have read posts from those looking if not begging for work.

It seemed to me that while glued to the TV set with their blood pressure and heart beats going up or down based on the latest Weather Channel report, that there are storm events and storm claims out there, for those willing to open their minds to possibilities other than hail.

No where in my earlier post, did I suggest that last week's storms here in New England are NFIP claims or "flood claims" as most of you would think of them.

Flooded basements mean a rash of phone calls to agents and carriers reporting water damage and/or water coming into their basements from "unknown causes" etc. Claims from homeowners not living in flood zones. Claims from insureds without NFIP flood insurance.

But. Homeowners with homeowners (HO-3) insurance.

Now for minds which are open or willing to be opened, that should have been enough for a few of you to realize that these homeowners carriers are having to send an adjuster out to investigate the claim (even when it is assumed in advance that the claim will result in a denial).

Claims filed require claims investigated.

That's where we (adjusters) come in right?

You can have your hail storm and hail claims Todd.

Some cat adjusters will have made a year's income from this winter's claim assignments, before many of those sitting around praying for hail even see their first assignment of the year(and the year is 1/3 over already).

And when I asked when will some ever learn, my point is how anyone can survive or how anyone can paint a picture of this profession as being so lucrative with so many have made one plug nickel so far this year. THAT is what never ceases to amaze me. That more and more want to join us and Leonard's just keeps churning them out; and it amazes me that we are not telling them the truth.

How many individuals in ANY profession can afford to coast along for the first third of a year with absolutely NO income? That never ceases to amaze me.

And what are those same individuals doing now?

Why sitting around watching the Weather Channel.

Talk about retirement planning. That plan sucks quite frankly.

I'll delighfully stick with flooded basement inspections and denials.

And here's just one clue why wet basement claims are a gold mine undiscovered and unexplored.

(BTW, so are fire losses, 3rd party property, inland marine, etc. but that's a whole 'nother story which I won't bore you with).

Adjuster calls the insured and sets an appointment.
Adjuster drives to the loss.
Adjuster takes photos of the water damaged basement.
Adjuster doesn't scope damages. (Don't want to create estoppel).
No scope required. No estimate required.
Adjuster mounts/label digital photos ($1.20 adjuster share).
Adjuster fills in ONE page short form closing report.
Adjuster closes file.
Adjuster spends 1 hour/claim Total time (including inspection).
Adjuster's portion for each claim = $100.00 to $150.00 per claim.
Adjuster Inspects/Closes 10-15 per day.

My final point was/is that for those adjusters who looked for work with an open mind, they might not do so bad for 30 days or so worth of work, while the vast majority of cat adjusters are sitting around watching TV and not making anything.

Was my point really all that hard to understand?

There is so much gold laying all around our feet if we would only open our eyes to the opportunity on this side of the hill.

If I offended anyone, it certainly was not my intent.

I just tossed out an idea which I felt that some here might benefit from, and I know that there are a few adjusters here more interested in a bird in the hand than on what might happen next week, or next month or next season.

Happy hunting to all no matter your blind!

Edited by - JimF on 04/22/2004 22:59:04
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  19:51:36  Show Profile
I have to agree with Jim. I've done many a flooded basement claim in the NE and I thoroughly enjoyed the work. Great money. No ladder to lug around and most people take a seapage/drainbackup denial much better than they take a "Sorry, no hail damage".
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000