Calc/measuring devices
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  21:47:33  Show Profile
"Ghost Buster" mentioned a device in a post that was taken to the bank. I decided to check into it, looked good, and I ordered it.
GB, they have dropped the price to 49.95. Best dang buy I have made in a long time. Its right on the money.It has the laser also. The down side, its only good for about fifty feet.
Other items to check out are the "Concrete Calc" and many other tools that may be of interest. If you order they will include a catalogue. Check it out< www.calculated.com >Calculated Industries.
I will probably get the disto meter for outside deminsions where distances are someties greater than fifty feet.

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2002 :  22:03:45  Show Profile
Newt, the only measuring device is a Leica Disto.
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2002 :  14:17:40  Show Profile
Well now, with 1500+ CADO Members, I wonder how many have the only TRUE measuring device that can save you an Hour or more a day, the DISTO has it hands down over all of the 20+ others I have used.

Bet there are not even 5%.
Go to Top of Page

Lon Sterling

68 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2002 :  10:12:17  Show Profile
Chuck,

I have not checked into the Disto. I do have a Bushnell Golf Yardage laser that is fantastic. One question though, the problem for roof measurements with lasers is the inability for the laser to lock on a diagonal slope at the apex of the ridge or thereabouts. I fully understand how to do a takeoff using the square footage and the pitch and I'm sure the DISTO would probably facilitate that job BUT does the DISTO have any abilty to measure a common rafter from the outside without something flat or almost flat to reflect it back to the device from the ridge?

Lon
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2002 :  22:24:56  Show Profile
Lon, I very seldom use the Disto to measure residential roofing. Only under special circumstances. I have a set of weighted, sheet metal targets I had custom made and when I use the Disto on a pitched roof, usually to settle disputes,I use the targets. Also my Disto has a telescopic sighting system and a tripod and level. Sometimes you can use a vent, chimney or stack for a target. On tile the ridge cap is usually enough. The Disto in combo with a loggers tape makes childs play of interior and perimeter measurements.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Aymond

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2003 :  08:41:18  Show Profile
Newt,
Are you talking about the pocket measuring device from calculated.com. It is now 34.95.

Thanks, Joe Aymond
Go to Top of Page

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2003 :  16:49:24  Show Profile
Yes, thats it Tom. Aim for the DISTO, it is light years ahead. Also the pro adjusters use Cougar Paw Shoes for roofs and Chuck mentioned the loggers tape. Some of the previous posts on here describe the equipment that is best suited for adjusters. I bought the pocket measuring device just to see what it was like. It will measure rooms and mine is acurate. I doubt all would be as accurate so beware, its not DISTO quality. If you have already bought the Calculated, you know what it does.
Go to Top of Page

JSVenning

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2003 :  01:16:13  Show Profile
DISTO, for any measurement with a "target", i.e. something to "shoot" at
COUGAR PAWS for any roof where the shakes stick to the deck, or the granuels stick to the shingles
and I like a wheel better than a loggers tape, or even the Fat Max, for quick roof, valley, ridge measurements.
Go to Top of Page

bryan newell

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  23:28:19  Show Profile
What is the disto eye piece?
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2003 :  10:36:39  Show Profile
The "eye piece" is a side mounted telescope, with a red filter to view the measured point after about 40' outside. It has a magnification lens that will allow for sighting to 300 meters.

The cost varies from $249.00 to $299.00.

This is an indespensible attachment for the disto classic.

Go to Top of Page

bryan newell

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2003 :  10:40:35  Show Profile
Can you measure a roof with the devices? Without placing a "reflector" at the ridge cap.
Go to Top of Page

TomToll

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2003 :  20:19:26  Show Profile
Bryan, you can do it, but you must have a tripod with the disto mounted on it with the eyepiece. Get as parallel to the roof slope as you can, shoot to the ridge, then crank the center rod down until the laser hits the fascia, hit minus and you have the slope measurement. Be sure and add 3" to it, as you are shooting at the butt end of the ridge shingle.

Tom Toll
Go to Top of Page

bryan newell

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2003 :  21:18:23  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Tom. Is this something that you would recommend over counting exposures? I am thinking about buying the Disto, but I can't justify the price if it will only do rooms. I currently use the Stanley Intellimeasure & am very happy with it. But if the Disto does that & roofs, I would consider the investment. Do you recommend a particular Disto?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000