CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives
 All Forums
 Claim Handling
 General Discussion
 "Isabel", is a Hot Potato headed behind?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  10:26:45  Show Profile
ClmGui: And just exactly how are you related to reconman? Or are you one and the same?

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  10:31:00  Show Profile
Getting seriously off-topic with this conversation.

Let him create a thread for his/her "Claims Guide for the layman."
Go to Top of Page

fivedaily

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  10:36:03  Show Profile
Thanks Katadj... I was just noting the same point about this thread being off topic.

To all users, please keep comments in this thread related to the topic, ""Isabel", is a Hot Potato headed behind?"

Jennifer, moderator
Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  10:52:04  Show Profile
Alright, what does "headed behind" mean? I have wondered that since it was first posted. I thought it meant someone had their head in their behind, so I thought any posts made in that vein were on topic. Surely all Conman posts would fit that description.

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

alanporco

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  11:17:30  Show Profile
ClmGui: Let's see, you're not an attorney and you're not a PA. You are "a small business owner, married, and parent with a college education." What exactly is the nature of your small business?
Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  11:37:33  Show Profile
My guess is a roofing co. in way down south texas.

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  11:41:22  Show Profile
Probably near Weslaco or somehow or other connected to someone we all know in Weslaco.
Go to Top of Page

Linda

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  12:02:14  Show Profile
There are time when it is difficult to maintain our hospitality to guests. They don't post their identities, but our identities are here for the world to see. We are real people, trying to make a reasonable living in the real world. Ghost, you are excluded from this post so don't start whining. I believe it is time we used the "members only" areas more and put them to good use.
Go to Top of Page

ClmGui

12 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  12:04:21  Show Profile
Sorry Jennifer,

My original posts were geared towards the "Hot Potato" issue. The JimF and Linda replies was not expected to have to be fielded on my end.

Professional adjuster insights can help homeowners - policyholders become better educated consumers in policy type choices and settlement expectations. Andrew Green, the Baltimore Sun reporter, his career peers and the WWW audience are also consumers.

The Hurricane Isabel "Hot Potato" topic is a wonderful springboard for indemnified consumer awareness to launch from.

I have looked over all replies to this topic, and how it relates to other CADO forum topics. Approximately 10,000 other visitors have visited this topic alone. E-"Word of Mouth" may increase that number considerably.

A potential 458,000 Hurricane Isabel affected consumers alone can also reference your helpful insights. E-"Word of Mouth" may increase that number considerably also.

http://www.gazette.net/200413/business/features/209201-1.html

That should be encouraging news for you at CADO. Public "hot potato" policy types and claim settlement questions and issues, being addressed by professional and dignified replies, gives your site the polish and confidence millions of premium paying consumers need to experience...and pass on.

Go to Top of Page

alanporco

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  12:19:22  Show Profile
ClmGui: Why won't you tell us what you do for a living? If you want to know what I do, look at my Member Profile, I'm not hiding behind the mask of anonymity. (He can't be from Weslaco, his keyboard has no forward slash key.)
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  13:47:45  Show Profile
How many votes for a Plaintiff Attorney?

One (1) Here.

Larry, the initial post was to question the potential fall out of handling a "Hot potato", guess you have never handled a "micky".

That’s a potato, baked in an open campfire for a long time, and they are really hot, and difficult to handle.

The reference to "headed behind", may have been better said, but what the heck, I was having a senior moment.

Edited by - katadj on 04/18/2004 13:53:22
Go to Top of Page

Russ

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  15:35:45  Show Profile
Isabel was typical of most flood events.I believe if we looked at the Houston Flood, the percentage of those not happy with their settlement would equal or even exceed Isabels numbers. Isabel dealt with a huge number of beach front properties, The hot issue as I understand it is, which floor has coverage!!. I know that anyone living in an elevated building has a copy of their elevation certificate. Most of my insureds had theirs and I explained how to read and understand it. There are only two numbers important. The B.F.E.(base flood elevation) and the box on the bottom stating "ground adjacent to". The difference in these two numbers tells you which floors have coverage. If the B.F.E. is 8' and the ground adjacent to is 6', then everthing above the 2' mark has coverage. The flood "Zone" determines the parameters. In a "V" Zone the lowest horizontal structural member has to be above the B.F.E., "A" Zones are from the top of the floor. I dont know where the pilings come in to play, they have nothing to do with coverage. I hope we can let the powers that be, finish their job and hopefully put an end to blaming adjusters or software vendors for the discontented in Maryland. Y'all have a great day!!!
Go to Top of Page

Stormdame

7 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  15:57:21  Show Profile
Was the claim overpaid, was the claim underpaid. The truth often does not even come for months after the storm when the work and repairs have been completed. Does the insured file for a supplement? Most of the time if a building claim was properly worked you will the holdback and possiably a supplement will be requested. Should the homeowner not request the holdback so ofter one of two things have happened. The required work was not carried out or if work was done within the acv amount paid it stands, the claim was overpaid !

"Experienced adjusted" does not always mean a "quilified" adjuster. I have met adjusters who have years of experience but lack a lot in current policy knowledge, materials cost, custruction methods and will not take the time to look into local pricing. So many adjusters work on the "wham bam thank you mam" method and scream holy heck when claims servicing comapny opt to use the holdback untill the claim is reviewed and closed, "fully closed".

There are many adjusters out there who are profesionaly, properly motivated, up-to-date on policy and procedure. I have met many of these people and they are shining stars to me. The industry as a whole suffers when the adjuster is motivated to settle a claim based on what he will get paid or on his "opinion" of the homeowner. To me this is a better place to insert Dick Allen's favorite saying, "there is so much sadness in the world.

Don't ever be afraid to call you manager or file reviewer, discuss your thoughts, ask how the carrier and yes, manager and claims servicing company looks at something. We can't be all knowing in all things when we may service several companies in one year. Let the people us carry some of the baggage. Put their name and dates into your claim. This is a great CYA method. I would own the claims serving company if I wanted to take all of the hickies, I remain a lowly "I.A.", best way I know of passing the downside of this business on to someone elses shoulders.

This a hard industry to survive in. There is both good and bad and sometimes it growns into great or evil. This site was created for this reason. Roy and others wanted us to have a place to come together, share, grow, cry, cuss and solve some of the issues.

May there be many a stormy day ahead of us. (Hey without them we would all starve)
Go to Top of Page

Gale

USA
231 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  01:22:54  Show Profile
Roy is this a record number of reads for any thread? It is only about 5 weeks old.
Go to Top of Page

ClmGui

12 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2004 :  09:21:54  Show Profile
Hello alanporco,

I am in the information / knowledge management field. Also, logistical and human behavorial study disciplines are woven into my research work.

I also feel it's important to respect other peoples desire to introduce themselves, and express themselves, as they alone see fit.

And for the record, both my forward / back slash keys work...and are used, I hope, responsibly.

I registered and joined the CADO community to learn more about consumer, carrier, policies, and "cat" / "daily" adjusting concerns. Any productive help regarding those people centric issues is appreciated.

For katadj,

Again, I am not an attorney of any flavor.

The study of anti-consumer, anti-trust, collusive, tortous interference, deceptive / uncompetitive / illegal restrictive trade business practices and issues make up part of the topography / geodesic like research and conclusions I'm involved in.

For you cliche' lovers,
"Junk in...sift the [defined] junk out"
data mining and sharing is what I do.

For you food lovers, I'm a "low fat consumer info linked-sausage maker".

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000