Lili in the gulf
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  14:23:13  Show Profile
and she stengthened over Cuba. This link shows Key West radar and you can see the eye in in the gulf. http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.kbyx.shtml Will her forward speed keep her from turning to fast and make Texas the target? She went from 90mph winds to 100 while over Cuba, how much mor will she strengthen. Cat4? This is a serious danger, please be prepared and safe.

wraydecker

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2002 :  20:28:23  Show Profile
Which carriers are big in Louisiana? Sure would like to know the top 10.
Go to Top of Page

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  14:11:14  Show Profile
CAT 4 135 and growing this is looking mean!!!! Where to just east of Houston?? Alos watch Kyle
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  16:46:33  Show Profile
I'm in New Orleans and news reports from here indicate that it is now very close to a Cat 5.
Go to Top of Page

barry

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  17:57:04  Show Profile
Please bless the souls in its path.
Go to Top of Page

visitcostarica

Costa Rica
15 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  18:36:28  Show Profile
Looks like an "Andrew" for the alligators

Done climbing roofs...try climbing into a hammock in Costa Rica http://www.visitcostarica.net
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  18:50:49  Show Profile
Clarify something for me here...

Looking at my map, I see a whole bunch of unpopulated marsh area facing the Gulf. It looks to range some 25 miles in depth. Could it be that the storm surge will be spent on empty swamp? Does it look to you that Ms Lili will be a wind event with lots of pine trees on houses? If so, looks like the flood boys won't be all that overwhelmed.

Kyle, you live in this region, can you give us a recon report on the lay of the land and your anticipation of this wonderful, fun filled event? I know I'm looking forward to some fine catfish dinners.
Go to Top of Page

slowhandfan

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  21:12:43  Show Profile
"Gentlemen, start your engines."

Kerry A Freeman
Go to Top of Page

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2002 :  22:37:19  Show Profile
Is this storm turning faster then expected, this is going to be close to Baton Rouge if not New Orleans, Roy if you are there take cover. Please note that hurricane force winds can be expected 150 inland from the cost and coastal flooding can be expected 25 miles inland. Another factor, if you recall FRan, the ground was already wet and 180 from shore trees fell in Raligh by the millions! If the storm manages to turn just east of north then the storng side will be very close to the big easy. Was there a mistake in not evacuting?
Go to Top of Page

dsand

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  09:14:47  Show Profile
Is it the Government or the Carriers that are seeding the hurricanes?
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  09:58:55  Show Profile
GOOD GAWDALMIGHTY! Which one of you morons went and SNEEZED and startled our Ms Lili from a Cat 4 to a Cat2???

Look, I went to a lotta work with the three predominant voodoo queens of southern Louisiana to ensure their cooperation in bringing us this storm. We all agreed that this event would bring them a new roof for their shacks and not some miserable Good Hands patch job. This was supposed to be a 3 month storm with work for a lot of us. Now, it's gonna be a 3 week storm for NOT a lot of us.

Just look...there is the Weather Channels Jim Cantore in beautiful downtown Lafayette not even getting his coifure wet. My guess is all you trainees better go on in to day jobs and wait for the next one.

This is the damage a sneeze can do.

Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  10:53:25  Show Profile
Ghost, while the area along the coast of Louisiana is mostly marsh, it is a gently sloaping marsh, which means that the "dry" land north of the marsh isn't more than a couple of feet above sea level at most. The eye of the storm is going over the most populated area between Baton Rouge and Lake Charles. This area is known as Acadiana, it is where the Acadians, (my ancestors, I'm really an Hebert) settled after being kicked out of some of the nicest countries in Europe and then Canada.

When I say the most populated area between Baton Rouge and Lake Charles, it isn't saying much though. The cities of Morgan City, New Iberia and Abbieville are the biggest ones in the coastal areas. I don't think any of these cities is bigger than 30,000 or so. Lafayette which is the major city in the area. I think the metro area of Lafayette may have 100,000 people in it. That includes the surrounding towns and villages of Sunset, Carencro, Breaux Bridge, Church Pointe, Scott and the like.

Right now, here in Baton Rouge the highest gust so far has been 38 mph and it's just a gray windy day. I'm sure it will get worse before it gets better, but as far a me and mine, we are all high and dry and I'm waiting for this thing to blow through so I can head back to Slidell to continue working on my flood claims from Isadore. I'll try to keep you guys updated.

Edited by - KileAnderson on 10/03/2002 10:55:17
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  18:03:52  Show Profile
Thanks Kile!

Okay, here is what I've done today to get ready for the road. I changed the oil in my wifes car, adjusted my rear brake shoes, went to the bank and got the storm fund up to snuff, and waxed the truck. Oh, and I also watched all our pals on the Weather Channel.

So, where are we going? Where is the large town with the most damage, Lafayette or Alexandria, (where I spent 3 years growing up in Pineville in the mid-50's and remember watching Elvis on the Louisana Hayride on a snowy black & white TV)?

I really am diappointed that Lili lost strength out there. Was it those smart alec space aliens playing tricks again? I've got a bone to pick with them for that last probing I got in August.
Go to Top of Page

slowhandfan

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  18:28:46  Show Profile
Who else got sent to Mobile only to be called today with a change of plans? I feel like Bill Buckner in the 1986 World Series

Kerry A Freeman
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2002 :  19:16:42  Show Profile
Ghost, from what I've seen on local TV New Iberia to Lafayette is where the majority of the damage will be located. I've driven around Baton Rouge a bit and there are some tree limbs down. Although I didn't see any limbs on houses I'm sure there are several. I'm sure there will be some calls going out real soon.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000