Wife & Husband Stormtroopers
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Debby

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2003 :  19:52:48  Show Profile
Note my subject begins with "Wife" or could be Significant Other, either way the female part of this equation is very significant.
I'm looking to hear from you teamates out there on how the road works/dosent for you. What has been positive/negative.
Do you have a set response on how the two of you relate to each other in the field.
Ive been curious as to how other couples and how many who can work the long hours this job entails and still maintain that relationship.
My husband and I have been together 14yrs and worked together most of that. Its had its moments,just wondering if anyone else ever has them too..

catmanager

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  08:54:59  Show Profile
Debby,

For me,the experience has been positive, but challenging at times. I can only guess the same is true for everyone else, as the same can be said for marriage as a whole.

On the positive side, it has always been a great help to have a great organizer with me to make all of my contacts, map, and schedule appts. If you receive a large volume of files on the front end of a storm (100+) we all know it can take days, even a week, to have all the insureds return your calls and get them fit into your schedule. Having your partner there allows you to start inspecting immediately with the peace of mind that the contact process is going forward.

Like anything else, being confined within a motel room for hours/days/weeks with your significant other also can be a challenge. I've found that spending the extra money for a suite w/ a separate bedroom helps this, and our increase in production more than makes up for the extra expense. (and allows you partner to go to bed while you write estimates with the TV on...)

Since my wife has been in claims longer than I have, I can trust that she knows what and what not to say. I have the field experience in a CAT situations, however, so while we might have different ideas about how to get a task complete, she usually listens to my opinion as it applies in the field...and then again, her viewpoint has also opened my eyes of doing things a little differently, sometimes better. Two heads are better than one.

Working alone puts a strain on you, and to a lessor extent, working together does too. Whenever the stress and cabin fever set in, and tensions escalate, we usually find ourselves laughing with the realization that is the working environment, not the individuals, to blame. Personally, it outweighs being alone.

But, alas, all good things must come to an end. With my wife expecting now, I suspect if I continue to go on the road, she will be in better hands with friends and family at home...I know some adusters who take their entire families (below school age)on the road, but I cannot imagine that, yet, personally.

It is all a matter of personal priority combined with economic neccesity. I for one, probably will not continue alone on the road IF I can earn a living without doing so.

Maybe someone who does take children with them can comment on their experiences.

As the former manager of a CAT operation, it seemed to me that most couples were empty- nesters, and enjoying a great semi-retirement method of income, and excuse to travel and visit friends and family on the way home. It also seemed that the wisdom that comes with years also greatly reduced the stress that this job can create.

Just like any other profession that requires travel, I suspect that Cat adjusting in general is a snapshot of our society as a whole. There are a lot of divorces that I suspect occur due to the added stress. This is not a factor to be taken lightly if considering this career. I think the already hard job of maintaining a marriage can subbcomb to the additional weight of this proverbial straw on the camel's back.

But again, everyone's situation is different. I also know a great group of guys that have the full support of their families while away, and state that their quality of life is much greater now than when they were at home working everyday at an office. They take thier kids to school, play golf, attend every function, and spend more quality time with their spouses....

Good thread, Debby,....I look forward to hearing everyone else's experiences and thoughts.

Go to Top of Page

DWMCLAIMS

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2003 :  19:11:10  Show Profile

To reply to your post. My husband and I have been married for 20yrs and we've always worked together. I wouldn't have it any other way... For the first time I took files on my own, and to be honest, it just wasn't the same. Although
we were in the same office and still met up at night,I actually missed him during the day. Even though,as you said,days are long and they do get a little hairy sometimes... When all is said and done - the common goal is achieved And that's worth a few hairy days.
Y McKinley

Edited by - DWMCLAIMS on 11/15/2003 19:20:47
Go to Top of Page

Medulus

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2003 :  01:50:48  Show Profile
Debby,

I spent four years traveling with and working with my wife. It was a great adventure. Sorry to say that we are divorced now, but that it is not related to the fact that we travelled together and spent so much time on the road together. In fact, the marriage probably stayed together as long as it did because we were involved in the common adventure.

My new wife is chomping at the bit to join in the adventure that is catadjusting. The few tastes she has had of it ( a month on the road in New Orleans as a family and a few weeks in Cincinatti on a hailstorm) has only whetted her appetite. As soon as the youngest of the kids graduate from high school in May, we will be a team year round again.

Though for some it may be too much to spend so much time together, I have had an overwhelmingly positive experience being part of a committed team togather on the road.

Additionally, the opportunity to bring my teenagers along and let them work with me on a common goal has given me special time with my kids I would not have otherwise had.

Steve Ebner

Edited by - Medulus on 12/03/2003 02:03:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000