Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2003 :  19:05:21  Show Profile
I think Chuck and I are the only ones who wear our brand (name) on our shirts. I'm proud of who I am and I'm proud to let my thoughts be known. I don't understand why you would express an opinion and try to hide from the light of day.
Go to Top of Page

Cecelia

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2003 :  14:21:49  Show Profile
There are many of us who post under our own (real) names.

And thank you Roy for all the effort you put into this website. I don't do much posting these days, but I am always reading.
Go to Top of Page

goose

57 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2003 :  21:06:19  Show Profile
If you close this to membership only, I will gladly pay. But it would be appreciated if the volumes of posts that have useful information on hardware, software, planning for deployments, companies to look out for, etc., etc. were still available to everyone. The bickering that goes on here is not unique to this forum, but sop on all forums and all clubs, wheather it be a bass-fishing club or the VFW. I hope we all keep our eye on the prize here and realize there is some very good adjusting information here and ignore the few distractions. But as far as anonymity goes, for the exact reasons ya'll have so accurately stated, we do not know who we are talking to. I will keep mine, thank you. I work nearly every week of the year and yes, I am a coward if that means I do not want to take a chance and have that messed up somehow by an internet forum I visit for the main purpose of helping my job. And if the leadership needs some money for that, I feel I owe it. Thanks for providing a useful site, I just wish I had the time to participate more, but fortunately, I do not.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  10:22:58  Show Profile
RV, the thread selection is a good one, and there are others a bit older.

Would it be fair to say that my comments throughout CADO might cause me to be "labelled by the vendors as a problem due to my personal viewpoints"; to use your terms of reference?

However, I can relate to you that more than one vendor has initiated discussions with me on some of the issues; and they have presented opportunities to me to be involved in their processes. As well, one vendor was passing on to me the thoughts of a regional claims carrier honcho that he deals with; who had some pretty direct comments about my posts but at the same time thought they were beneficial to the overall claims industry. This fee survey comparison project has created other discussions with vendors, that I originally thought would not be pleasant (if you know what I mean); but the underlying attitude was that it was okay to call a spade a spade, and there seemed to be some respect for standing up as a real individual and trying to articulate on an issue. What I am trying to say is, although I have no current plans to seek work in the cat claims niche, I do not believe that I have been ostracized by all vendors from that niche. Therefore, I would caution the crowd from running off to change their pens, from their real hand to some anonymous character.

What has been my "feel" for what vendors "get" from the posts here, are much less pleasant and more personal issues.

In my discussions with vendors on the generalities of the posting on CADO, these comments are what I hear most relative to the anonymous postings; "I wonder who he is ....":
(a) he is such a redneck, I wonder if he is that confrontational with the public?
(b) he can't write or spell, how does he do reports, how does he exist?
(c) his attitude seems to lack customer awareness?
(d) he knows nothing about insurance or claims
(e) he should be taught what a claim is and how to adjust it
(f) it is scary to think he may work for us

Now RV, to those people, who some vendors think fit into one or more of those "labels" based on their web decorum and posting; it is my opinion they shouldn't be in the claims industry, let alone consort anonymously with any association to people in the claims industry.

Now, to our venerated Admin, Roy, in the BB post that renewed this discussion you mentioned in regards to people providing a first and last name etc; ".... only to find out later .... just a user pretending to be someone else ....". Only you would know best if there is a technical way to eliminate this fraud. I had thought there was a ray of sunshine on this issue last year when you introduced the "other CADO forum / website", where real identification was an early prerequisite. For whatever reason(s) that has been fully diluted.

If there was a widespread move to post in the "members" forum, we would loose the little bit of order that there is with regards to having posts in the right forum and then in the right thread; an issue that is important if there is to be any attempt at any referencing of topics in some semblance of a "table of contents".

Your suggestion to achieve Larry's goal by restricting posting to paid members may be the answer. Cost certainly is not an issue, and if that properly identifies each of us to each other; then that is good.

The 1400 accounts that you mentioned were removed, are they redundant, false, duplicates; or what label(s) would you give them and how did you discover them? That seems like an interesting issue that may give this thread greater credibility and impetus.

Roy, although some of us may have opinions that we choose to express one way or the other on this issue, and many will not express any opinion; it is still up to you - the train takes on its passengers from your station, the buck stops at your door, you are the gatekeeper.

It all comes down to what your vision is for CADO. How real and professional do you want it to be or to become?

Or, is your goal achieved by simply providing a medium to communicate, from the ridiculous to technical and everything in between; where the credibility of whatever is said by anonymous posters always being an issue?

Your creation is going to mark a milestone next year.

Will CADO evolve into the professional voice of the claims industry and become the core resource for credible information and resources?

Edited by - CCarr on 03/03/2004 10:41:14
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  11:39:12  Show Profile
I will address the account removal with this reply and comment on some of the other statements later.

The account removal works out to be about one third each for the following categories.

Duplicate Accounts - for example, Cat Adjuster and CatAdjuster accounts belong to the same person. If no post had been made under one account that account was deleted. In most cases something in the profile indicated that it was being used by the same person. The indication include IP address, email address, names and similar information in the bios.

Inactive Accounts - Accounts that had not been used since converting to the current forum a couple of years ago.

Fake accounts - I'm not sure if that is the correct term, but the accounts that were in this category were removed because they did not provide a valid email address and no other means of identification.

There is a another small group of accounts that were locked instead of being removed, preventing the account from being used and preventing registration for a new account with the email address provided.

Roy Cupps -
CatAdjuster.org :: Contact\Feedback :: Adjuster Roster :: Current Forum
Go to Top of Page

MysteryCat

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  12:24:00  Show Profile
To remove the possibility of posting anonymously would be a terrible mistake. I will post certain things such as bad experiences with a certain vendor/carrier anonymously that I would NEVER post under my real name for reasons listed previously. This would create a much too sterile and cautious site. Meow!

Edited by - MysteryCat on 03/03/2004 12:25:44
Go to Top of Page

goose

57 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  13:07:18  Show Profile
This is an individual decision. A freedom, if you will. If I believe that no good can come from my profile being public knowledge, then that is my decision. If the content of my posts violate the established common sense rules of this site, then I should be removed. I do not feel that we are on some holy crusade of civil rights that need some vast volunteer movement of civil disobedience that would require us to march on the capital steps and demand we be treated fairly. I have stated many times, that I am happy with being an adjuster. So I will be careful to keep this job and not ruffle any feathers. Those of you who choose to be a voice for change, good for you, it is your decision and none of my business. Just like my identity is none of yours. Here is a link, like many I could post if I wanted to waste even more time on this subject, that emphasizes the need for free speech. You may have heard of that concept. http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1829652
Go to Top of Page

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  14:04:14  Show Profile
We have been through this many times. Please do not change the ability to post under nom du plume. Where would we be without ghost etc. It would certainly be a lot quiter here. Only change I could see would be a requirement for Roy to have the real information on all users. I wounder what % is posted by anonymous posters.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  14:54:11  Show Profile
Mark, as to your last sentence / question -

To this point in the thread there have been 15 different user names noted; hopefully that represents 15 different people. The breakdown of user names relative to anonymity is as follows:

(a) user name = real name in user profile, 6 or 40%
(b) user name different from real name, but real name in user profile, 5 or 33%
(c) user name is real name or real name is in user profile (a+b), 11 or 73%
(d) user name is anonymous name and no real name is in user profile, 4 or 27%

Therefore, in this thread as an example, 27% of its content is by unidentifiable posters.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  15:14:47  Show Profile
RV, yes, there are posting guidelines and moderators, but there is no consistency in their application; and that will always be the consequence of numerous people individually interpreting one or more "guidelines".

We "can" police our own, but we do not police our own; whether that is within this website or the horrors that are heard and seen in the field and motel lobbys.

If we "remain" professional, but we do not portray professionalism and hence I suggest that by and large whether within this website or in the field, "we" do not act or display collective professionalism.

The ability to do and say as one wishes without being accountable for it as an individual, as is done with anonymous posts; will prohibit any collective attempts to police our own or to be professional.

Goose, I don't see this as a "free speech" issue at all. Everyone is allowed, and in fact encouraged to express themselves in CADO. That is the essence of individuality, but that is not accomplished through anonymity.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  16:10:03  Show Profile
To further elaborate on Mark's query regarding the percentage of anonymous posts, a review of the first two pages of the "members list" reveals the following:

(z) Too tall Tom, has two entries, to make the total 30; but the total is 29

(a) user name = real name, 13 or 45%
(b) user name different from real name, but real name in user profile, 10 or 34%
(c) user name is real name or real name is in user profile (a+b), 23 or 79%
(d) user name is anonymous name and no real name in user profile, 6 or 21%

The above two pages represents the vast majority of the posts in the forums.

Is it such a big deal for 6 people plus some others, to go through the registration process to have a real name shown in their user profile, that has been confirmed by Admin?
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  17:46:59  Show Profile
I sang it before and I'll sing it again...

"It ain't who you are, but it is what you write!"
"It ain't who you are, it's just what you write!"
"It ain't who you are, we're writing what is right!"!"
"Ain't it so, ain't it so, ain't it so?"

(Iffens y'all try and download this millun$ seller melody with Napster, I may have ta sue you'uns and retire to Bermuda.)
Go to Top of Page

MysteryCat

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  06:26:12  Show Profile
CCarr,
Just curious why you didn't reply to my last post? You have said that you are not a cat adjuster and do not wish to work cat's. It seems that your interest's with regard to cat deployment and anonymity would differ from those of us that rely on being called out, and therefore to avoid being redlined would be very cautious in our posts under our real names, therefore creating a much more sterile (and boring) site. I am sorry, but on this subject, your viewpoint is simply wrong, IMHO

Edited by - MysteryCat on 03/04/2004 06:28:51
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  07:27:24  Show Profile
'Mystery', I respect the clear and professional nature of your reply, and therefore there is no need to apologize to me for having an opposing viewpoint.

I didn't specifically comment on your last post because to do so would raise the issue of the independent contractor's continued subservient position and culture to the vendors; which I think is wrong in principal, and a type of thought that could take this thread away from its intended focus.

Yes, new people starting out, or those regardless of their tenure that are average at best with the required skills to properly function and be reasonably productive; will be and should remain subservient to whatever vendors they can find.

However, like most other professions, the trained, experienced, and skilled professional adjuster - operating as an independent contractor - should be able to choose their "working partner" (vendor) for a mutually beneficial arrangement. These independent contractors who encounter a bad experience, should not have to shy away under anonymity to advise others in their industry.

It has been my observation within your niche of the claims industry that too many trained, experienced, and skilled professional adjusters sell themselves short in many ways; while at the same time too many that do not fit that criteria have blurred visions of grandeur.
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2004 :  10:45:07  Show Profile
If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Without the ability of posters to post information anonymously which would not and could not be made to this forum otherwise, we would all suffer greater harm in not having access to information, which at times would otherwise be privileged and/or confidential, than we would gain by having access to a poster's "name."

We are none of us here to exchange family histories or to pledge a fraternity but rather to exchange information vital to our survival.

Most of us here also have the intelligence to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Plus I would hate to think of a CADO Forum without the Ghostbusters, OlderThenDirts, and R.V. Winkle's!

Look around. The CADO Forum right now is functioning at one of the highest and most friendly levels it has in years, with more and more new posters finally joining into discussions.

Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by - JimF on 03/04/2004 10:50:52
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000