Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dougger222

9 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2004 :  14:40:36  Show Profile
I'm a roofing contractor in MN and work year round. My three builders don't slow in the winter months so the roofs have to be done. Rarely ever do I do tear offs in the winter unless it's very slow and they are usually Landmark or Timberline shingles.
By Friday I'll have four roofs to do with one helper!!!
Now -20 is cold to do do any work outdoors but putting on three tabs in that tempature can and has been done. My father has been a roofing contractor for 30 plus years and has worked almost every winter for the past 15 years.
Go to Top of Page

Todd Summers

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  14:55:47  Show Profile
It's simple... follow the manufacturers specifications that are listed on the wrapper, realize that winter hinders production due to more down time due to temperatures and get it while the gettin is good in the warmer months. But CYA by following ALL manufacturers spec's... always.
Go to Top of Page

newguy

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2004 :  21:57:05  Show Profile
just remember manufactures specs must be meet but manufactures recommendations do not. there is a differance. the plastic strip sometimes a paper strip dep[ending on manufacture is for keeping the shingles from sticking to each other when packaged. if the bundles have been draped over the ridge sometimes the plastic will stick to the wrong shingle and then those shingles will never seal down. it is plastic not biodegradable. This shingles need to seal down since they are made of a differant material oldtimer. shingles many moons ago was made heavier with more asphault and did not need to seal. shingles now are made of fiberglass and will blow off the roof with ease. All home builders that have you install shingles during the winter know they will have to pay to have the shingles replaced when they blow off. and they just hope not many do before a good warm day. hope that answered most of the concerns i read.
Go to Top of Page

rorunner_77

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  07:49:35  Show Profile
Fiberglass or not the strips are bio and the risk of cold weather installation is wind damage.
Go to Top of Page

Manmut

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2004 :  09:20:09  Show Profile
CertainTeed has a manufacturer suggested install for cold weather that calls for roofing cement to be placed under the corner of each tab (for 3 tab shingles). IKO also recommends the same install. I've talked to IKO personally, and they informed me they would definitely stand by their warranty provided the cold weather install is done properly. Of course, this requires a greatly increased cost due to the extra labor involved.

Patrick W. Laws
Go to Top of Page

dougger222

9 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  11:41:03  Show Profile
Certainteed makes in my opinion the best three tab shingle. The Sealdon 25 asphalt shingle. There tough to cut in the summer when hot but seal very well.
If I sat down and counted the few roofs that I've had blow offs on in the past 5 years there wouldn't be that many due to winter installation.
If nailed or stapled properly it will take some good wind to blow them off. If I remember correctly Sealdon 25's are rated up to 62 mph wind.
In the last 100 or so roofs I've done in the last couple years i've yet to be called for a blow off. About three years ago I did have some New Horizons blow off in the same developement on the same sides of roofs with very high winds though (50mph).
Go to Top of Page

mgkmrp

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  16:23:27  Show Profile
Nowadays there are shingles made for installation during cold weather-but i wonder about the consistency of thier use during cold weather, and the degree of craftsmanship and or pride/giveadang--as stated previously, regular shingles get brittle, but also when the shingles do not seal right away, this allows dirt,soot and probably even plastic sacs from the megastores,megafast food chains and so on to get under the asphalt seal down strips when the wind blows(sorry for the tangent)this more or less cauterizes and makes useless this sealdown strip-allowing for premature curling,wind blowoffs and so on. The Sealdown strip when proper keeps things nice and tight like a roof is supposed to be for 20 plus years.
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  16:48:57  Show Profile
Hey roof guys. As I recall the only time I have seen the following is on black or very dark charcoal 3 tab shingles about 4-5 years minimum age. The shingle is pulled apart in almost a straight horizontal line in the middle of the exposed tab line for all three tabs or two of the three. The bottom half is still sealed like with super glue. Is this freeze-thaw or whatever?
Go to Top of Page

manic45

1 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  14:28:06  Show Profile
Live in the chicago area, fast food builder lost a large majority of the shingles on his new built homes. Builder maintains winter shingle loss is normal. However, the shingle manufacturer suggests each shingle be hand sealed in winter applications. It comes down to doing the job or doing the job right. The talent here is non union and therefore lack training. 2 Nails per shingle and the first row was placed wrong. Sloppy sloppy sloppy.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  17:16:34  Show Profile
Just because they are non-union doesn't mean they are incompetent. I have seen some of the sloppiest laziest work I have ever seen done by union guys, and for some stupid reason, the union tried to defend them. Union or not, good work is good work and incompetence is incompetence. A union card just means you pay dues.
Go to Top of Page

Roof_Dr_Sr

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  06:58:17  Show Profile

Couple of issues... The old Fa*t is correct about what he said but he has forgot that most old shingles were also made from organic and were thicker and weighed more that today's modern thin Fiberglas shingles.

The plastic strips are suppose to melt away when the summer heat seals the shingles. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. If a roofer sees one flying in the wind he should remove it to save a trip out to the home by a tech.

Roof Dr.Sr.
Go to Top of Page

DEMIGOD

99 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  09:09:09  Show Profile
Canadian roofs have roofing down in the winter pat. They have a conopy that is heated that covers the roof while they work! CRAZY WORLD I call it! CRAZY WORLD!!!
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  09:18:17  Show Profile
Maybe on the movie sets of Hollywood North, or way out past the east, on The Rock.

However, in my well travelled years across the country, I have not witnessed a heated canopy covering a roof so as shingles can be installed.
Go to Top of Page

DEMIGOD

99 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  10:17:56  Show Profile
It's a Canadian trade secret...shhhhh.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000