Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  20:55:58  Show Profile
Just what the living H--L kind of story is that supposed to be??? Twitching on the ground?

Okay, the 'Rat' story.

Just so you know, there are folks who have advertised on this site offering to sell gadgets that can take the end of a tape measure up a slope.
One was, as I recall, a wheeled device and the other a kind of butterfly shaped contraption that sort of glided up the slope.

I use the 'Rat'. Don't everyone crowd in here to close, some of you guys body odor is kinda rank this time of day. Now, let me open up the day-box here and...(Where did I put that thing?)...(What's this? Oh yeah, I forgot I had that.)...Here it is! This is the 'Rat'!

A 'Rat' is nothing more than a empty plastic 35mm film cannister. A slit is made with your rusty, trusty Barlow pocket knife from top to bottom just big enough to allow the tip of your tape measure to slip inside. Next, find an appropriate steep slope, and watch the 'Rat' scamper up the slope. The round shape of the film cannister with the tape end inside glides over the ends of the shingles. Provided you don't have a cheap tape measure that will kink and flex easliy, the rat will run the tape up to the ridge.

'Rat's' come in two colors, white and black depending on the brand of film. I have observed that black 'rat's' are of a thinner gauge and do not last very long. The white 'rat' is a thicker gauge and will last about three times longer than the black ones. In any event, provided you are using 35mm film, the cannister is free, or you can go to any film developing place and they will be happy to dump them on you.

It seems to me we discussed this several years ago.
Go to Top of Page

Roof_Dr_Sr

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  23:08:05  Show Profile
Ghostbuster..... Any clue where to get the "Rat"
Please e-mail me to Jack@keetonindustries.com

Roof Dr.Sr.
Go to Top of Page

Roof_Dr_Sr

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  23:19:11  Show Profile

Bradco Supply has a device that is a small set of training wheels for a tape measure. It simply snaps on your tape and rolls up any slope. Better to use the big fat type of tape.

Roof Dr.Sr.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2004 :  23:26:36  Show Profile
There are times where unsafe slopes, pitched or flat, lend themselves to measurement with a laser beam. A pair of red glasses helps, but there is no need to walk across a rotten flat deck or to walk on wood, slates or tiles.

The Disto is not a tool to be used on every roof, but definitely a tool to be in the truck for special occaisions.
Go to Top of Page

dougger222

9 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  22:18:12  Show Profile
The guy was twitching on the ground I guess that's what the framers said (his whole body). Poor kid, never had a chance to catch his balance. Just goes to show how dangerous a story fall can be. If he landed on his head the fall could have taken his life.

Anyways, how many of you adjusters use the mathematical method to determin the amount of squares on a roof by measuring the sq. feet of the house and multiplying by some 1.4 or something. I remember reading about this method in some roofing books and am wondering if it's used and if it's afective.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  22:45:08  Show Profile
I have a roofing book and it gives similar instructions but the 1.4 factor is only for roofs of 12/12 pitch. Here is the chart they give

Pitch - Factor
4 - 1.054
5 -1.083
6 -1.118
7 -1.157
8 -1.202
9 -1.25
10 -1.302
11 -1.356
12 -1.414

This would give you the area and you would then add your waste factor to this number. I've never done it this way, but the book I have says it will be accurate enough to order your materials. I don't think carriers would like this very much though.
Go to Top of Page

glenn220

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  08:22:17  Show Profile
I've had an interesting experience with the perimeter measurement. The proper technique is to take an accurate measurement of the foundation making sure you account for soffit overhang. Calculate the square footage within the perimeter and multiply by the pitch factor. Hopefully it's a common pitch across the roof. An associate and I had a troublesome roofer that never took the time to actually meet us at the risk. We ended up measuring three times to satisfy the policy holder. It was a cut up hip so we 1)folded it up 2) measured geometrically and 3) used perimeter measurement. All three totals were within half a square. It's not the ideal method but it convinced me it could do in a pinch.
Go to Top of Page

fivedaily

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  09:17:02  Show Profile
The method you are discussing is called the Foot Print Method. It is widely used by staff adjusters in Texas on all of those starter mansions. I am very familiar with it and use it regularly myself when the roof is too steep to safely walk.

As mentioned, the roof does have to have a uniform pitch to make this work. If you are in Texas you can go to the various vounty appraisers websites, do a property search, and get access to some of the information you need for this method. The website won't replace measuring but give you a good idea of what you will be looking at.

There is also a formula for figuring the ridges if you work for a carrier that requires they be listed seperately, or if you need to have valley measurements.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Roof_Dr_Sr

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2004 :  06:45:15  Show Profile
I have just purchased a tool from Bradco Supply which attaches to the end of the tape measure. It's the one with little plastic wheels .I installed it yesterday and tried it our on a 10/12 slope that reached almost 30 ft. I actually measured the slope from the ground and it worked perfect! Try it out it's great

Roof Dr.Sr.
Go to Top of Page

Roof_Dr_Sr

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  06:28:20  Show Profile

Anyone ever hear of the "WAG" system for measuring.... The longer you have been doing this the better at it you will be. The term WAG stands for Wild Ass Guess but if you combine it with the factors listed in the article above you will be surprised how close you will get.

Come on be honest haven't we all used this at one time or another?

Roof Dr.Sr.
Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  08:24:32  Show Profile
Roof Dr Sr, WAG---That is a tool which is patented by the roofing industry. Adjusters aren't allowed to use it.

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

glenn220

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  09:06:14  Show Profile
Maybe if you call it a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) you can slip it by your team manager.
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  10:15:11  Show Profile
I will guess about 99% of new home builders order the roof decking and shingles from the plans. Speak up home builders.
Go to Top of Page

C Bond

32 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  21:53:26  Show Profile
If you can't figure roof area from a set of plans (even just a simple floor plan) you better not try to build a house. What would you do? Wait until the trusses are delivered so you could measure the rafter length? [:D]
Go to Top of Page

Tom Toll

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  21:57:17  Show Profile
I am working and testing a powered mechanical device that can help measure horizontaly and vertically on all roofs. Stay tuned for results
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000