Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:29:47  Show Profile
Posted on Saturday, September 02, 2000 - 1:32 pm: By: Lyndon

Bottom Line: Too Many Falls Last Year!!

1.) Take time to evaluate your ascension. Look at all slopes and valleys. Two and three story structures call for the utmost of attention and care. Ladder pulls are a particularly risky effort and deserve your utmost care.

2.) Do NOT be afraid to say NO! If you are very concerned about a particular roof, GET HELP! Local roofers are always willing to assist you! IF you ask the carrier, most of the will give their blessing as opposed to having you fall!

3.) A variety of ladders is not a bad idea. It offers you choices that you would not otherwise have.

4.) Avoid the temptation of setting up your ladder on a section of pitched roof, hoping that the "feet" will dig in and hold you. In this instance, 99 out of 100 ain't good odds! That one will get ya! If you have to do this climb, get someone to hold the ladder in place, better yet, get a longer ladder and avoid the situation!

5.) Know your surfaces! Moss, metal, moisture, loose shingles or tiles, ice, tree debris, small rocks, etc. all can cause you, or your ladder, to loose footing. WATCH OUT where you put your feet and ladder!

6.) On the roof. . .watch out for vent pipes, patches, weak decking, turbines, vents, antennas and wires, on and on! Ever back up to get just the right photo? Better look real good first!

7.) COMMON THREAD in almost all accidents: HURRY! Going too fast! . . .It is a killer!

YOU GUYS THAT FELL. . .please pitch in, and share your experience with us newbies and oldies! Tell us about the fall, the injuries, and the recovery. You just might save someone's life!

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:30:46  Show Profile
Posted on Monday, September 04, 2000 - 9:59 am: By: Tom Weems

90% of falls happen on the first or last roof of the day. Don't climb too early when the roof is still wet, and don't try to do that "last roof" of the day when you are over tired. It will still be there tomorrow and if you don't wait, it may really be the last roof!

Easy does it...that extra few moments spent being careful on the ladder may save your life. And NEVER WALK BACKWARDS on a roof. We lost a good man that way, let Glenn be the last...
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:32:00  Show Profile
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 - 8:47 pm: By Chad

I have invented a safety device for inspecting roofs. Getting patent pending for it now. Todays stats on all inventions is that 95% of all inventions never make any money due to not doing the home work on marketing . example the airbag took like 15 years before it ended up in your car . Any ways when I get the final designs done on it I will post it here on Cado first. Glenn's tragedy motivated me to put my thinking cap on and I still pray for his wife and kids. To all! keep safe on the roofs.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:32:44  Show Profile
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 - 9:57 pm: By Tom

During Hurricane Alecia in 1982, I stupidly fell from a one story, wood shingle roof. I arrived early in the AM, at the request of the insured. Took a look at the roof, 7/12 with heavy concentrations of green moss, and told the insured I did not have the correct shoes to climb the roof. He really got upset, telling me he was a busy business man. He adamantly insisted I climb the roof and inspect.
I made a wrong decision. I climbed the ladder, got about 10' up the roof and my feet went out from under me. I slip down the roof like a rocket. I landed on my back in a large bush. I received a number of skin punctures, but was okay.

Guess what. The insured called the office and told them I had ruined his prize bush and that we owed him for it. Boy, what a jerk. This jerk ended up being my disciple though. Now I use common sense and will not allow anyone to convince me to do something I know is dangerous. Every roof is a potential accident. Unfortunately, some don't survive the accident
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:33:39  Show Profile
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2000 - 11:49 pm: By Tomj

Just to bring an important issue home, I have to relay this occurance.As many of you know my wife is also an adjuster with a large independant. Today on a 6/12 or so, a couple of shingles broke out from under her. She was lucky and only had some brush burns and her pride damaged,and pants, shirt.
Please, be careful, it only takes once.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:34:29  Show Profile
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2000 - 2:06 pm: By Darryl Martin

I have put together a short lesson plan and test for ladder safety. It is for our company's use but I will make it available for anyone that wants it. Just e-mail me and I'll send it back by e-mail.

Resist complacency!
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:35:17  Show Profile
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2000 - 9:48 am: By Dave Hood
Received, Reviewed, and whole hearted endorse the
publication that you have so graciously shared.

It will behove many to request, READ , and learn
how to use a ladder properly.

Thank you for your efforts Darryl.

Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:36:07  Show Profile
Posted on Monday, November 06, 2000 - 9:35 am: By Darry Martin

I was gratified to see the response for our ladder safety lesson plan. I hope it helps. One of the biggest problems is complacency when climbing and on the roof. I hope we are all more careful.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:36:59  Show Profile
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2000 - 5:25 pm: Steve Cantrell

If you think it cant happen to you, you are wrong. Already on this cat (Midland, Tx.) one person has fallen and died as a result and another has fallen and broken their arm. Both of these happened to be roofers, but it could have been adjusters just as easily.
Exercise care.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:37:51  Show Profile
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2001 - 12:38 pm: By Ron Fogle

A company named Petzl produces an excellent line of climbing safety equipment. It was originally developed for descending and ascending in cave exploration, but has been adapted to construction and rescue work.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:39:08  Show Profile
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2001 - 12:03 pm: By Greg

Anybody try "Gator Grips"? Made by a fellow adjuster with Littleton Claims branch in Fort Worth. Two easy to carry brackets that hold the ladder legs against the edge of the roof sort of like tying your ladder off. Easy and quick to use. Don't know where to get them except by calling Littleton in Fort Worth. Wish I had them fifteen years ago when my baseless Stapleton blew over when I put it against a house that was guttered all the way around. I was looking at a roof for the old Employers Casualty Co. and this house was in a rural area and 1/4 mile from the nearest home. PH was not at home-only roof damage to look at. The area where the ladder fell was 12 feet and solid concrete below and the yard sloped away everywhere else, no trees to climb and was recovering from a skiing accident and broken leg from 18 months earlier. Figured if I dangled off the gutter, I'd break it and maybe even my leg again. Solution? God gave me a brain but it's somtimes a little slow so I sat and thought for about twenty minutes. Being a Texan, it finally occurred to me. Tie a loop in the end of that tape measure and snag one leg of that ladder. Luckily the old stapletons had that tapered end that kept the pointed part just above the pavement when lying flat. Roped her and pulled her up and got the h--- outta Dodge, er uh far north Colleyville. Greg
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:40:04  Show Profile
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 12:15 am: By Chuck Deaton

I use the Petzel ascender. It is cheap and reliable. A one peice device that uses a carbiner.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:41:02  Show Profile
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 7:44 am: By Cecil Kraft

Chuck,
First it's Leica, now it's Petzel.
I looked up Petzel and all I got was an art gallery. When you throw out one of those high falutin foreign words, you have to include the web site so we can go check it out.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:42:56  Show Profile
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2001 - 3:34 pm: By Chuck

Try http://www.gearexpress.com/ you are looking for the Petzl Tibloc Acsender.

So much genius in such a small device!

Roy Cupps -
CatAdjuster.org :: Contact\Feedback :: Adjuster Roster :: Current Forum
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:44:03  Show Profile
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 7:24 pm: By Vince Tabor

Many roofs, like the one I was on today have an overhang some nailed to the fascia of a shed or
on a porch. Broke one off today on an inspection
and landed on the roof below. I was lucky just
a few scrapes. My best friend Glen died last year
and I was being careful..so watch what you are stepping on and keep focused... and take nothing for granted on the roof. You are doing a dangerous job...on every roof inspection.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

547 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  00:44:52  Show Profile
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 1:36 pm: By Bill Hill

Unfortunately and stupidly I got interested in ladder safety AFTER I fell. I was lucky and only fractured my heel and severly sprained my ankle.

The situation was this. I was in Twin Cities area on hail claims. By myself thus no one to hold ladder or assist.

Most of the houses involved were subdivision split level. You know the ones that you can reach the garage roof but not the upper level. So you can climb and drag the ladder up with you to gain access to the upper level.

Getting up there is ok but coming down the base of the ladder slipped and me and the ladder were on the ground in what seemed like a second.

People this is POOR technique. Don't do it. Get help or a bigger ladder or preferably both.

I was lucky.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000