Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gcodom

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  17:39:59  Show Profile
I use them all. If I could just figure a way to keep the rascals from taking a nip out of my finger now and then. Only the Disto is kind to me. I started using a Disto for flood work and now I use it on any thing I can zap with the beam. I carry it and my digitial camera in a holster for every claim. Of course, I still get bit by my 35'.
Go to Top of Page

MikeBr.

3 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  19:24:26  Show Profile
This is fun! In no way does this mean a tease of all the different opinions.( :-) I am recently retired from the company that I think you refer to as "big red". I say this only to say that their equipment is not nearly as extensive as what I have read in your threads, but still as accurate as Disto and all the other "costly" equipment you refer to, as long as the "reinspector" is accurate on his/her measurements confirming your measurements. Believe me, I have had some to measure to a half of an inch, as a challenge to my measurements. As you can see, I am a great believer in Xactimate's "Sketch" feature. But, without accuracte wall-to-wall measurements of a given room, Sketch is only a reflection of what you tell it to do. But, when I have the correct measurements, and if Xactimate program doesn't do something funny to screw up my inputs, I'm closer to the exact footage than anyone with Disto or any tape! The reason for all this verbage is that if you're not on the same page in measurements as everyone else, you're gonna have questions and possibly some problems with getting your bill paid!

Let's talk a little about "time saving" tools: I will admit that I have no experience with Disto, nor have I relied on roller tapes and what have you, but I know my 30' tape is correct. And!, while I am extending out my tape, I am thinking of my measurements (and other claim issues) and getting them correct so that my "sketch" will come together "xactly" as the program commands. Then, I know I don't have to remeasure. (okay, so you think I'm a slow thinker? maybe I am, but I may not have to make that return trip for another measurement).

Okay, I do have an advantage: I am 6' 3" tall with a reach advantage, and as long as I have some 2.5 power reading glasses, I can do the job! 5,000+ roofs and interior jobs is plenty of trial and error. Don't claim to be perfect!

MBrew

Martin M. Brewer
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2003 :  20:14:03  Show Profile
Nice post Marty. I would enjoy it if you would wander around the other threads and share your reflections based on your career findings. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

cordner69

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  23:05:56  Show Profile
Stanley Fatmax 30', Empire 100' fiberlass, and Sonin Pro 45 for interior. Also have a Lufkin roller for gutters and fence.
Go to Top of Page

okclarryd

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  07:19:34  Show Profile
More than 1 tape measure?? Hmmmmmmmmm What a novel thought.
Go to Top of Page

catmag

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  20:38:46  Show Profile
Stanley 35 + 2 spares. Sonin Pro 45. 200lf. cloth. w/horseshoe nail. 50lf metal with rubber ball on fishing swivel. 18yrs. experience, Love for big red to find 1/2in. off. Where to buy or investigate Disto?

catmag
Go to Top of Page

catmanager

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  11:26:15  Show Profile
There is a Disto link here on CADO
Go to Top of Page

Tom Toll

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  14:36:12  Show Profile
Disto for sure, 35'fat max, 200' fiberglass rollup, micrometer, inclonometer, and wheel gauge. FD97 and Canon digital cameras. I was not sold on flash cards on the new digitals, but am now. I love the Canon 4.0 megapixel for photos. I use the FD-97 for roofs and long shots, as it has a 20X zoom lens, 40X with a diopter. The disto has the pythegoras theorem in it and works great.

The theorem of Pythagoras - for a right angled triangle the square on the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares on the other two sides. We should note here that to Pythagoras the square on the hypotenuse would certainly not be thought of as a number multiplied by itself, but rather as a geometrical square constructed on the side. To say that the sum of two squares is equal to a third square meant that the two squares could be cut up and reassembled to form a square identical to the third square."

Edited by - Tom Toll on 12/23/2003 10:54:51
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  11:34:05  Show Profile
Try a loggers tape with a release nail. 100' self rewind.
Go to Top of Page

Steve H

Switzerland
30 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  13:44:37  Show Profile
Oversize fanny pack with a 25' Fatmax (a 25' craftsman back-up), a 100' metal Stanley with a tennis ball and fishing swivel and a wheel in the truck. Hands free while climbing is top prioity.

Mavica primary and Canon A300 back-up, but may reverse, as there seem to be more defective floppies of late.
Go to Top of Page

Linda

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2003 :  22:02:19  Show Profile
Catdaddy--did Santa bring you a Disto or a new set of clubs?

Happy Holidays
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2003 :  23:37:49  Show Profile
A square plus B square equals C square has been true since the begining o f time.

The use of the 3-4-5 triangle for constructing a right angle, for instance, goes back to much earlier times in Egypt, Babylon, and China. In his textbook The History of Mathematics, Roger Cooke of the University of Vermont describes how the Babylonians might have discovered the Pythagorean theorem more than 1,000 years before Pythagoras.
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2003 :  11:53:41  Show Profile
The old "rule of the right triangle" learned in 10th grade. Always works.

Wonder why some roofers do not apply this methodlogy when installing a new roof, always comes out straight......................

Edited by - katadj on 12/29/2003 12:02:57
Go to Top of Page

jcc1138

12 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2004 :  01:03:02  Show Profile
Leica Disto Tape ($330 at Lowes)-- simple with only 5 buttons and those are sealed against water. Takes 4 AAA's and in 1 year I have only gone into my second batch of batteries with 3- 5 inspections per day. The best for indoor work.

Outdoor-- Craftsman 25' tape-- cheap and strong. A crappy 100' Stanley reel tape in yellow (easy to see when you leave it somewhere)
Go to Top of Page

distofanatic

1 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  00:53:37  Show Profile
On 02/06/2004, Leica will announce their new Disto Plus unit. It has Bluetooth built in and comes with a free program that draws a sketch from the measurements and can output to either a CAD type file and/or a spreadsheet. This device is specifically designed for various construction, architectural and inspection trades, etc. This is not vaporware - I have one in my hands for review. One trade publication has already leaked an ad a few days early. The distributor - at www.lasermeters.com refused to discuss it until Friday, but invited me to check back then (our company has decided we need about 20 of these and I was checking real world availability.) It will reportedly be in limited supply in the second half of this month, and then readily available in March.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000