Some newbie question
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

zebraman

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  00:03:04  Show Profile
By way of explanation, I have been an adjuster for several years. I was a multi-line resident for Farmers in Central Oregon and moved as a supervisor to North and South Dakota. Have had much experience with forest fire claims and hail.
I am now a multi-line supervisor for a regional mutual in Ohio.
I have been considering a jump to the road. I am wondering about getting started.
I have a camper and truck and laptop. I have been using a number of estimating softwares and am wondering if multiple types are required.
I am licensed in Kentucky. Do I need to be licensed in all states or is there reciprosity?
What about E&O insurance?

I have had Pilot guys over the years tell me to do this and I guess I would like to take a step or two.
Do you apply with a bunch of companies and jump back and forth? Do you just work for a few? What pitfalls have those of you who have come from company position into the CAT world run into?

I love claims. I have always been addicted to CAT duty. Long hours are not a problem.

Talk to me.

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2002 :  21:59:33  Show Profile
Cat 101 remains free for the asking.
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2002 :  07:31:21  Show Profile
May I humbly suggest if you are considering a jump to the road, you may well want to consider a jump into long haul trucking. The prognosis for storm trooping and adjusting in general is more than a little grim.
Go to Top of Page

NA

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2002 :  06:59:49  Show Profile
Zebraman, you asked the question about finding an employer and I think it is fair to say that choosing the employer may well be the most important decision you ever make as a cat adjuster. Knowing who not to work for may be equally as important if not more so than choosing the ones you do choose to work with as an adjuster.

Keep your eyes posted to CADO for comments from adjusters which generally can point out the good ones and also warn you of the ones to stay away from.

Remember: Know Before You Go.
Go to Top of Page

Cecil

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2002 :  10:11:15  Show Profile
Zebraman,

There are many pluses to this work. But there is a downside too. I personally know many adjusters who have only worked a month or so this year if at all. If you are in the right situation and the work is there, it's the greatest. But when the work is not there it is the pits.

So, my point. If you have a year of wages put back or another job or income you can rely on when the work isn't there great. If you don't, it can ruin you. Count the cost, and if you decide to do this good luck. I like you had been a non-catastrophe adjuster for 25 years before doing this and for the last 6 or so years have tripled + my earnings and never more enjoyed any as much. Also get 101 mentioned in the above thread.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000