CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives
 All Forums
 Claim Handling
 General Discussion
 "Isabel", is a Hot Potato headed behind?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  11:05:27  Show Profile
Mark, their is a requirement that elevated buildings with foundation walls have 1 inch of vent for every square foot of floor space on every side of the foundation wall. If that foundation wall is a mound of dirt, there is no way for water to flow through and therefore it does not meet the NFIP specifications as they have been explained to me.
Go to Top of Page

ClmGui

12 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  12:18:22  Show Profile
Hi,

Great site. Good information throughout.

I research various insurers claim estimating and settlement practices around the nation and would like to ask a few questions. Can someone help me?
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  12:33:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ClmGui

I research various insurers claim estimating and settlement practices around the nation and would like to ask a few questions.

Curious minds want to know.

What does "that" (researching claims practices) mean?

And why do you do that?

What specifically, are you researching or searching for?

Do you research claims practices as part of your job or because???

What do you then do with your research findings?

Finally, what type of research background, education and training do you bring to your research function?

Edited by - JimF on 04/17/2004 12:37:19
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  12:47:50  Show Profile
Sounds like a PA or an Lawyer to me.
Go to Top of Page

ClmGui

12 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  13:22:29  Show Profile
Well, I've seen some do-it-yourself guides on the "Amazon" book site, that helps homeowners understand what claim warranted property damage is, and how policy language works, and insurance companies and adjusters role in claim settlements, etc. processes.

I thought an updated claim guide for homeowners was a good idea. I am not an attorney or "PA"- public adjuster. I'm just looking for some professionally filtered input.
Go to Top of Page

ClmGui

12 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  14:11:49  Show Profile
I've seen that "katadj", "gale", "kile", "russ" and other adjusters have been keeping up with news developments surrounding Isabel.

I've seen other comments addressing the NFIP claims handling and settlement issues, and the news coverage about the on-going claims re-examination process.

Inexperienced flood claim adjusters seems to be one agreed upon "problem" needing to be addressed.

How should, or does, a problem like that need to be realistically addressed?

If people's claims, flood or otherwise, are not handled by seasoned adjusting professionals, isn't the policyholder at risk for getting "shortchanged" for what they are paying for?

Go to Top of Page

gloverb

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  15:23:01  Show Profile
The "unseasoned" adjuster probably "overchanges" the policyholder as much as he "shortchanges" them. The policyholder doesn't complain much about this. Please, direct some of your research in this area.
Go to Top of Page

Linda

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  16:26:37  Show Profile
I'm with you JimF on this one. I just did a quick search on Amazon and received 89,907 hits for "claim guide". Assuming these are at least 50% duplications, that leaves some 44,000+ claim guides and let's further assume only 1% of these are property (our primary focus here) or some 440 different books. Now, I have to ask myself, especially since reason contents me, just why would this person "ClmGui" be wanting to pick our brains for the 441st claim guide. I think I'll just sit back and watch this one.
Go to Top of Page

ClmGui

12 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  16:47:19  Show Profile
The Isabel claim examination and adjustment issue seems to be centered on underassement and underpayment of claims, not overpayment.

The hardships that were reported, because of such settlement issues, seem to indicated the need for a much better educated consumer.

Also, if consumers know that an adjuster is not truly qualified to settle certain claims, they can be better equipt to stand up for those that are and expect proper "like and kind" adjusting expertise that a particular loss dictates.

So, what qualifying questions could a homeowner ask an adjuster so as to feel secure that they were being, and were going to be, treated fairly?

Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  17:07:10  Show Profile
You're really jumping to conclusions stating that claims were underpaid. The SFIP is very restrictive and rarely covers 100% of rebuild or repair costs. I think we should all wait and see if any additional payments are made once the claims are reviewed. Has anyone heard of any supplements being issued? The best thing insured's can do is to keep track of what they owned, when they bought it and if they have remodled their homes since they bought them know what was done and when it was done. This will help the adjuster to figure out how much depreciation to take on the items and also help in identifying materials and personal property. It is very important to keep receipts to prove that you purchased high dollar items and don't keep the receipts in the house with the items. If the hurricane washes it all away you at least want to be able to prove to the adjuster that you really did own a 80" plasma TV.
Go to Top of Page

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  17:16:56  Show Profile
Kile, elevated building on piles, slab on dirt above BFE. There is no foundation wall to have vents.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  17:30:42  Show Profile
That's my point, Mark. If you have the exact same situation with a foundation wall instead of dirt then you have to have vents. If the building is required to be elevated it should be ELEVATED above the ground so that water can flow under it. If there is no free space under it it kind of defeats the purpose of elevating it in the first place because in a tidal surge the water will ride up the mound of earth and either enter or level the building. That's how the theory was described to me about the foundation vents and I am just extrapolating from that.
Go to Top of Page

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2004 :  23:16:05  Show Profile
Any former underwriter will tell you that they bind on theory, it doesn't aways have a relationship to reality. An underwriters good intentions and $1.65 will get you a coffee. Hopefully the power that is will be back and clear up other issues as they arise.

Edited by - olderthendirt on 04/18/2004 10:18:51
Go to Top of Page

ClmGui

12 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  06:05:50  Show Profile
Originallly posted by JimF,

Curious minds want to know.

Q: What does "that" (researching claims practices) mean?

A: It means using available information resources to research claim settlement theory and practices.

Q: And why do you do that?

A: Consumers need to understand what they are, or are not, buying with present homeowner policies. They need to know, before a policy is even purchased, or a claim scenario occurs, what are or are not resonable expectations on their, or their carrier's, part.

Q: What specifically, are you researching or searching for?

A: Specific and reasonable answers to specific consumer related property indemnification / compensation questions and issues.

Q: Do you research claims practices as part of your job or because???

A: I am a entreprenuer, self employed, and feel consumers need fresh information regarding indemnity protection, carrier history and coverage issues, premium values, claim handling issues, adjuster conduct, policyholder responsibilities, etc.

Q: What do you then do with your research findings?

A: They are used for educating consumers.

Q: Finally, what type of research background, education and training do you bring to your research function?

A: I am a small business owner, married, and parent with a college education. Sometimes business client negotiations / parenting skills seem to mirror each other. (You know how certain "grown-ups" can be).

Linda,

I've found two property claim settlement guides on Amazon. They were interesting reading. A narrowed key word search method was helpful to find just 3-4ish [consumer oriented] for-profit publications.

The publishing dates on the two guides are 1995 and 2000. It looks like there is room for at least one more consumer guide, and that with some fresh perspectives on indemnification principles and practices.

A carrier, agent/broker, policy, premium, adjuster, contractor, retailer, claim settlement "map", laid out in unambiguous lay terms, is needed by every [homeowner] policyholder / potential policyholder.

Many policyholders price shop. If they shopped by carrier history / reputation, they may see that low prices does not a good carrier make.

Except for premium payments, I have found that very, very, very few policyholders read / remember / understand what they have been investing in.

A typical policy is pretty dull reading. And even the most studious consumer doesn't know, or meditate on, the inherent positive or negative potential of their policy.

Most know ad / marketeers fear crusade slogans..."Pay up [invest] or risk bad stuff happening". Most need a color coded, large print, 3D, voice activated, pocket size, indemnification "map".

Now then, where did I leave that white horse...

Feel free to contact me at claimguide@hotmail.com for e-fire side chats.

Go to Top of Page

ClmGui

12 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2004 :  09:23:48  Show Profile
Is there 3 or 4 L's in "originalll[ly]"?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000