, Resources for Adjusters from Adjusters

Is it covered??? Work and Career Info | Training | Locate Adjusters
Vendors | Marketplace

The Adjuster's Forum » Coverage Question Corner » Is it covered??? « Site Map »

Author Message
Tom Joyce (Tomj)
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2000 - 11:32 pm:   

I believe the issue on waterbeds has been extensively reviewed and the coverages discussed in the National Underwriter, FC&S Bulletins.
2 cents
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2000 - 5:51 pm:   

OK Pros, correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think it is our job as adjusters, staff or independent, to depreciate on ANY basis other than age and condition.

If they have the repairs made, great, if not, then the next claim will deal with the insured being paid and not repairing the damage. We cannot be their conscience or "banker". I would hate to tread on this area of Consumer laws with my shirt tail hanging out.
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2000 - 10:41 am:   

You are being asked to "NAME THAT PERIL"!

Simple question, just needs a better answer.

Is a bed an appliance? I say no. I could not justify a bed being a heating system either. My feeling as an independent adjuster is that there is no intent that the policy covers this type loss, but it really does not matter. The decision is not mine to make. The right answer for me is what the Company says is right. The company may want to interpret the policy differently for whatever reasons they may have.
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2000 - 10:32 pm:   

Froghair - Please add an explination to your post as to where or why you say what you say. Would like to know from different thought waves as to their reasons. Others stated their reasons and I don't want to get confussed. Thanks
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2000 - 6:04 pm:   

The water bed would not be covered but all damage resulting from waterbed leak would be covered if they had content coverage in a HO3.
bob barton
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2000 - 9:14 am:   

Had this happen to me in alabama on a branch assist...contents were not covered ie shoes in closet... nor wooden bedframe the owner did not argue i showed them in the policy the are already mentioned... hi storm-pro
Russ Lott (Russ)
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2000 - 9:03 pm:   

The "unlisted" contents would have to be covered under named peril, if there is no covered peril, there is no coverage. Watch out for all risk endorsement and the items are scheduled you will probably have coverage. Good question, storm pro.
David P Bennett (Whitey)
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2000 - 4:37 pm:   

As the building is subject to all risk of physical loss, the water damage from the ruptured water bed would be covered. Contents are a different bird. Most of the policies are worded something similar to the following: "accidental discharge or overflow of water or steam from within a plumbing, heating, air conditioning or fire protective sprinkler system or from within a household appliance. This peril does not include loss : ......" The key phrase one would look at would be "household appliance" as the water bed is not any of the others. As a household appliance you have dishwashers, washing machines etc. The websters dictionary I have defines appliance as : a machine or device for doing a certain task, especially one that is worked mechanically or by electricity." It does not appear that a waterbed falls within the definition and therefor the contents damage would not be covered. Some may argue that the waterbed uses electricity, in actuallity it does not. The heater is the item which uses the electricity to heat the water in the mattress. I believe most carriers will agree.
storm pro
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2000 - 11:36 am:   

PH's waterbed leaks and damages wall to wall carpet and content items.
This is a standard HO3 policy.
The stucture items are covered.
Are the damaged contents covered?
The named peril would have to be discharge from a household appliance. Is a waterbed a household appliance though? Webster's defines an appliance as a device, so I would have to say yes. Therefore the contents damage is covered also.
What do you think?
Dan Stelly
Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2000 - 1:45 pm:   

Sudden and accidental damages are covered under this HO3, apply considerable deprciation as this will assure your insured will complete repairs.

Topics | Home | Current Forum | The Classifieds | Adjuster Roster | Channels | Resources | About « Site Map »