, Resources for Adjusters from Adjusters

Hail loss to mobile home or rv Work and Career Info | Training | Locate Adjusters
Vendors | Marketplace

The Adjuster's Forum » Coverage Question Corner » Hail loss to mobile home or rv « Topics - Site Map »

Author Message
Tom Toll (Tom)
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2000 - 12:22 pm:   

Steve, mobile home coverage can be acv or rcv. Regardless, if it is skinned with aluminum and hail hits are deep, check some of the dents very closely, as aluminum is very thin and can have a pin hole at the bottom of the dent. If this is the case, you can only replace the skin panel(s). If there is a breach in the metal, micro photograph it to back yourself up. Light denting is a loss of value and should be treated as such, bearing in mind that aluminum can last forever, however, the paint does not. You can figure 15 years life on the painted panel. The roof, if metal, can be koolsealed after repairs are made. If there are holes in the metal roof, patches can be used utilizing pop rivets and silicone, then kool seal the entire roof with stranded kool seal (or its equivelant). Always check the seams as sometimes wind and large hail can open up the seam which will allow moisture to enter the wall cavity. Most new homes are now wrapped with a plastic blanket to enhance protection of the 2x2, 2x4, or 2x6 stud walls.

Some companies write standard homeowner policies if the units, (either single or doublewide) are blocked, anchored,tongue and axles removed.

RV's are the same. Most have standard policies just like your auto policy, unless it is written by a specialty company in motor homes. In some isolated policies, the unit is insured to value based on RCV. There are very few metal skinned RV's anymore. Most now are fiberglass sandwich panels in varying lengths. The panels always run horizontally on fiberglass and metal skins. This is due in part to air movement about the surface. Vertical seaming on a moving object would be a constant leak in progress.

Hope this helped you. E-mail me if you have any more questions.
David G. Dye (Davidgdye)
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 10:13 pm:   

Most RV owners (Class A or C) would never opt for an ACV policy. Most of the Policies I have seen offered are guaranteed replacement.

As a Class A owner and user for work, I would never have an ACV policy. If the Policy is RC and you're not offering full replacement, there is no salvage available to the Company.

Check the Policy very closely.
Ernest C. Bauman III
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 9:04 am:   

Depending on the part of the country you are in the cost to replace sheetmetal on an RV is about $9.50 to 13.50 psf. No deductions for any openings unless they are over 40 sf. This cost usually includes parts and labor, and then you would apply sales tax to 30% of this. The AC covers, awnings, windows,tail lights, spare tire cover, etc would be additional. As to the roof, unless the damage has caused an opening I may or may not replace it. It is basically a non appearance item, so if there is no major damage you may pay an appearance allowance as well as coolseal the roof.
Airstream trailers are figured a completely different method.
The thing you need to keep in mind is that the salvage on hail damaged RV's is very high so you need to be aware of the salvage before you jump out and pay the claim in full.
As to paying an appearearance on the whole claim. If the hail is very light, trailer is not new, insured states he is not going to or does not want to repair it would cause me to consider going this way. I usually I figure a percentage of the replacement cost. If the roof and left side has the most damage I may figure 50% of replacement, and if the left side and front is light I may figure 30% of replacement.
There is probably more discussion on RV repairing and claims than any other. Alot of it depends on the manager. Some will back you and some will not.
The loss of value is not something that I consider in the field. Keep in mind that in Texas there is no coverage for awnings or TV antenas on travel trailers but they are covered on a motor homes.
I hope I help you some. Be sure and check state statute and the policy for any differences in you state.
Steve Whitcomb (Stevew)
Posted on Wednesday, September 20, 2000 - 3:29 pm:   

What is the proper method for determining a hail loss to a mobile home or rv under an ACV policy? How do you determine loss of value? Do you offer an appearance allowance? Do you repair it, then subtract depreciation? Is the roof adjusted in the same manner as you the sides? Are there any general guidelines available? What if the unit is only two years old? As I am somewhat new to this profession, any help from your vast pool of knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

Topics | Home | Current Forum | The Classifieds | Adjuster Roster | Channels | Resources | About « Site Map » An Adjuster to Adjuster Community