, Resources for Adjusters from Adjusters
131 Claims Handling Careers | Training | Adjusters
Vendors | Marketplace

The Adjuster's Forum » Forum Archive » 131 Claims Handling « Site Map »

Author Message
Russ Lott (Russ)
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2000 - 3:02 am:   

The person writing the ad may have looked at the bottom of a proprietary form and may decided that it was an industry standard form. You can only go ask the originator of the request what their definition is.
John Johnson
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 9:29 pm:   

This may be a stretch but during my tryst as a commercial pilot, the Federal Aviation Regulations
(FAR's)referred to regulations as "Part 135", "Part101" ad infinitum. Perhaps your question has something to with damaged aircraft frames or aviation liability. As stated, it may be a stretch and a long one at that.
Gale Hawkins (Gale)
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 8:37 pm:   

Bernadette if I read your post correctly you used the word “requests” not “requires”. That is a deterrent to most and a challenge to a few. Unlike some it seems everything I have ever done there was always the “first time”.

As Alan can tell you lawyers are trained to be “creative copy cats” not “original thinkers.” This is the reason they can not find law professors to teach the subject. There were little or no precedents (or what ever the word is) in this area of the law because before Bill Gates created the technology boom there were precious few Intellectual Property cases going to court. That means this ‘body’ of law is yet to be developed and since the practice of law is mainly telling the judge what is in the legal history books you have a problem, a lack of legal history when it comes to Intellectual Property.

As it has been discussed on CADO, property adjusting was handled by the legal group early on but now adjusters are expected to read and define the fine print of policies to an extent as Jim and some of the others demonstrate so well from time to time here on CADO.

Bernadette if you have what it takes in your head and stomach and can get the position then go for it. If the property adjuster started out as gophers for lawyers until the lawyers realized it was more advantageous for them to get back to what they knew best and let the adjusters run with property adjusting needs, then why can’t you do it in the area of Intellectual Property. We all are someone’s gopher. I just happen to be a gopher for property adjusters because I am willing to provide a better and more economically solution to their adjusting software needs than they can provide for themselves.

From personal experience if there is a need for ‘131 claims adjusters’ some will step up to fill that need. Since there are really likely to be few experienced ‘131 claims adjusters’ your biggest chore is to do what we all have to do and that is to market yourself. The best of luck. Just remember, “It is most easy to succeed in the areas where most expect to fail.”
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 5:38 pm:   

Bernadette, if you are looking at a position where you don't even have a clue what the experience required means, then obviously you are not qualified for that job.
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 5:04 pm:   

I hope this Helps. The area of the Law in which you refer is highly specialized. So specialized that most Law schools do not even offer a course in Intellectual Property.

Nothing that anyone could have possibly done in the adjusting business would prepare you for this Job.I don't mean to scare you but, Good Luck You will need it.

Alan Jackson
On Location in Columbia, SC
Go Carolina Claims
Jim Flynt (Jim)
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 3:13 pm:   

I would presume that your question concerning "131 claims handling experience" has to do with claims which can be made for violations, infringement, theft, counterfeit, and damages to/from Intellectual Property, Unfair Competition and Trademark Infringement under Section 131 of 35 U.S.C.

Which state are you located in and who is advertising for such experience? Are you sure you are not applying for a position which requires a legal degree? If not, then you are certainly looking at a very specialized area of liability adjusting practice which would be beyond the realm of experience of this Forum I believe.

Perhaps our resident legal scholar, Alan Jackson can shed a lot more light on this topic than I can. Alan where are you? Help!
Bernadette McCormick
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2000 - 2:49 pm:   

I am looking at a position that requests 131 claims handling experience. What is this?

Topics | Home | Current Forum | The Classifieds | Adjuster Roster | Channels | Resources | Contact Us « Site Map » An Adjuster to Adjuster Community