Sketch My Roof


Oklahoma Earthquake CE Requirement

7/25/2023 Update to the Oklahoma Earthquake CE requirement;
Effective September 1, 2023, the one-hour earthquake continuing education requirement will no longer be applicable for licensees holding a property line of authority.  The Earthquake course group will remain intact, with no impact on the currently active courses. The course group will continue to apply towards general continuing education credit for all license types.



Choose Your Rope & Harness Training Provider Wisely

Ask the CEO of any Major Insurance Carrier or IA provider company and you will learn that crippling injuries and fatality falls from modern roof structures are a common and credible threat to Property Claims Adjusters. In proof of this fact many Insurance Carriers have outsourced their high risk roof claims to Ladder Assist type organizations and at least a dozen or more “Rope and Harness” training vendors have sprung up to capitalize on the situation over the last five years.

WARNING:  Most “Rope and Harness” training programs are based on a “Sport Climbing” model and have NO connection with modern Fall Protection as it is spelled out in OSHA regulations 1926.5 OR ANSI Standards Z-359 and NO affiliation with today’s worldwide Professional Rope Access Community.

PLEASE: Take time to educate yourself on the facts before selecting a “Rope and Harness” training program.

Teachings from a \Seasoned\ Cat (Flood) Adjuster

By John A. Postava

In 2004 (hard-to-believe it was over 7 years ago!), hurricanes Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne brought more claim adjusters to Florida than swampland speculators in the 1920s. In retrospect, the “Fearsome Foursome” generated more than two million property claims. Just the sheer number of claims alone required adjusters to increase productivity to meet the demands of homeowners.

No matter where claims occur, filing them quickly, accurately, and efficiently is the main goal of every professional property adjuster. Increasing productivity also will increase independent adjusters' incomes. Saving time does not necessarily mean cutting quality, however. Adjusters can employ some basic techniques to avoid common mistakes and to save time.

Develop Routines

Having a routine means doing the same activities in the same order every time. Developing a routine will keep adjusters organized and prevent them from forgetting vital steps in the claim process. Decide the order in which to examine the property and stick with it each time. Record and scope damages in the same order for each damaged area or room. Deviating from a set routine can lead one to overlook an important detail.

.... read more

AMCAT Training

I am a newly licensed adjuster, who is trying to get his foot in the door. I am well aware of how hard it is to do so. AMCAT told me they would put me on their roster if I prooved myself competient after their class, which I have no doubt I will. Are they a good company to work for?

Also, if you are just waiting on the big storm and you get most of your experience on the job, I am wondering how good these training classes are, or if they are just another way for the companies to make money. I know I need to know how to do it, but I am also very short of money and dont want to waste any. If a really big huricane hits, do they send out people that havent taken classes? and if so, would I be better off doing some self studying and getting someone to try and help me out?

Safest "REAL" Rope & Harness Training SE Coast recommendations please

Can anyone provide me a list of REAL Rope & Harness Training places where I can get certified, most likely FL, GA or South East?
All the courses seem to be in TX or further. I've searched REI, SPRAT, AITECH in GA, other IA companies that offer "rope training," but which certification is the one OSCHA or rope professionals would agree will help me save my life on steep roofs?

The followed a link I read here on Cado: which caused me to rethink where I was going to be trained. I believe I was about to pay upwards of $1000 for the whole trip (hotels, gas, course, etc), for which this post commented on, teaches improper techniques. I've worked with some adjusters who use the improper Gri-Gri techniques, hands-free standing, and knot tying that this post mentioned as "improper." 

I'm a bit confused but wish to get trained on steep roofs before I become "that guy" who wishes he had taken the safety courses because he fell. I've been climbing roofs for years without incident but something inside me is saying to get more information and proper training. 

Insurance Adjuster Certification and Training Programs

While some insurance adjusters learn on the job, others receive training through short college programs. Read on to learn about courses offered, licensing requirements and career information for insurance adjusters. Learn more @

Looking into Catastrophe work

I currently own an adjusting business in Northern Minnesota. I am a small ma and pa show and am getting pushed out by bigger, less expensive companies. I have wanted to get into Cat work but did not plan on it this early. I am licensed in MN and OK multi lines. Do I need to get other licenses from other states? I see TX has classes to go to, do I need too? Also I will be looking into State Farm Cert. also. I have 9 years of property and auto adjusting experience, do I have a prayer getting into a few vendors or on some rosters? I appreciate your time and have enjoyed getting some information from this forum. Thanks Brian

ICAP for Veterans

Are there any adjusters who have completed ICAP and will it help getting deployed?

ex-Combat Engineer TX

TWIA and TFPA Certification Online

2021 Training has been providing online certification for TWIA starting in 2013.  Now for 2014 the certification includes both TWIA and TFPA Certification as once class for residential adjusters.

There will be an additional course required to adjust commercial claims for TWIA as TFPA is residential only policies, but the residential certification is a prerequisite to the commercial TWIA certification that will be out in the next couple of weeks.

Click link below for more information.

TWIA/TFPA Certification


For those who don't know:   TWIA is the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association who writes wind and hail policies along the coastal states of Texas.  TFPA is the Texas Fair Plan Association that is an insurer of last resort for the state of Texas and writes residential policies only.

Tallahassee Adjustor will pay for training

I am looking for a Tallahassee or close, seasoned adjustor, to ride with an learning xactimate from.  I will pay you I am not looking for something free.

State Farm Certification Class though Pilot

I finally took the State Farm Certification class after years of putting it off.  I was getting plenty of work without it and did not see a need to take it.  There are several options out there to take it.  I found places to take it at no cost and always knew that Pilot gave it for $150.  I just took the class with Pilot.  The first day was Pilot going over the items that are on the test. It was about 7 hours. The second day was a Live Broadcast from State Farm then a test.  Third day was another test.  For experienced adjusters, that may not be needed.  But for new adjusters and adjuster like me that have been working limited types of claims, I would recommend paying the extra $150 for Pilot.  They do a great job and are really there to help people pass.  There was about 60 people in the class I took.  About 90% of the people passed both test.  There were atleast 15 people there just to retest.  So if you want to be State Farm Certified and a little nervous about it, consider Pilot.

Adjuster License types in Texas - advice neeed!

Howdy folks. I've been lurking on this site for awhile... thinking about becoming an adjuster. I'm in the insurance business (sales) right now and have been for 15 years...  getting burned out big time. Also have a residential home construction background before that. When it comes to getting an adjuster license in Texas, it seems there are 2 or 3 different kinds - there's one for workers' comp, one for "all lines", and there's even one that's a "public" adjuster license. What the heck is a "public adjuster"? I think there is also one that is for property, but doesn't include other stuff - I THINK.

Anyway, what is the license to get if you want to be able to do everything except workers' comp adjusting? I don't want to get the wrong license because of my own ignorance.

Okay, here is the really big question. Is it practical to think a guy like me could get licensed and find an adjusting firm to let me "wade" into it by doing some day claims here and there to get experience and knowledge? I would love to go out and adjust claims on Saturdays, and I could probably squeeze in a day duting the week if necessary. I'm pretty sure the more tenured and experienced guys would be the regular day claim adjusters during non-disastrous times, and that there are still plenty of guys like that with little work to do if they aren't working cat claims somewhere. Right? Wrong? Maybe?

Thanks. I love this forum!





Listed below are some links to other blog post and articles on other sites.

Dimechimes ClaimSmentor Adjuster Information Blog 
 Organization Chart for the Claims Handling Blame Game- A Humorous Graph -A Serious Look at Claim Bad Faith Issues
 On the page the above link takes you to you will find links to some of her other articles at the end of the above article.

Article written by John Postava
On the Ryze Claim Solutions webite

You can find additional post from John and Dimechimes in the CADO forums, they have made many post over the years contributing to the community by sharing their knowledge and experiance.

KB Search

Adjuster Estimates