Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

fivedaily

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  15:46:00  Show Profile
Demigod,
Jim is right. The individuals who have obtained licenses from their respective states are truly the only ones legally qualified to speak on such matters. You should refer homeowners who ask this question to their agent.

That is what I do. I never tell someone their rates will go up or down based on claim activity. I always refer them to their agent, who knows if they have a no-claim discount or may know what their prior loss history is better than I do.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Stormdame

7 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  21:58:30  Show Profile
With a name like "DEMIGOD", well you just can't help but wonder, and you notice that it is even spelled with all "caps".

Demi, if you call the State Insurance Board in each state that you service insureds in you will find out if you have a right to discuss the insureds policy with them. Many states do not even allow PA's to interput policy, they are to only "help the policy holder make sure all damages have been addresses, write or obtain an estimate for know damages. Some State Insurance Boards frown greatly on PA's, contractors or restoration interputing policy.

Demi, don't forget to check on your libality coverage!
Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  02:00:58  Show Profile
We still have free speech in this country and you can advise and discuss anything about the policy you want to with an insured. As long as you aren't charging them for that service or acting in a capacity of representation.

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

DEMIGOD

99 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  09:51:51  Show Profile
In light of what you said LarryW,

I think I'll just have my boss contact his attorny and let him decide what we can and can't put on our FAQ's.

@Stormdame, you got a problem with my screen name? Keep it to yourself, as I told the last person here who had less then 10 total post's that eluded to a personal attack towards me. If you can't post in a constructive and positive manner on these boards don't bother posting at all. The other hasn't bothered to post anything since. What's it gonna be.
Go to Top of Page

rbryanhines

22 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  10:52:20  Show Profile
demigod
Have you tried to find a website for contractors. Seems like your a guest on this site, but want to tell people how and when to respond.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  10:54:28  Show Profile
Het DG, I don't think you are in a position to give any ultimatums (as per your last few sentences) on this hopefully adjuster centric website.

The 'dame's comments about your screen name and presentation of it, are undoubtedly shared by others.

Aside from that, it is humorous to sit back and watch two totally anonymous 'nottobeknowns' play stick with each other. Mark an "X" on the side of the boat where you last saw the fish in the lake.

Edited by - CCarr on 04/23/2004 10:55:06
Go to Top of Page

Todd Summers

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  11:05:17  Show Profile
Clayton, I had the same thought when DG was blasting me for "making accusations " about him, like I was ruining his reputation or something. Hell no one even knows who he is or who his company is.
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  11:16:32  Show Profile
The catastrophe adjusting community has many qualified adjusters from diverse backgrounds. Experience ranges from Leonards Adjusters School license upward to retired claim managers. A large percentage of the catastrophe adjusters will have the label of single peril roof adjusters. The roof adjusters are subject to no income for months or years depending on weather conditions.

The experienced multi-peril adjusters who travel to out of town sites for employment are as weather dependant, but have more options with more insured perils.

This entire community has a minuscule chance of working local claims back at thier home base when times are slow. The local independant shops require stability in thier work force.
Go to Top of Page

DEMIGOD

99 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  19:14:29  Show Profile
Ok to clarify why I use the name I use, It's my online gaming screen name. I am a member of a clan that has been gaming for 8 years. I visit alot of forum boards with many differant genra's. I just do not see the benefit in making comments in a negative light about the screen name some one chooses to use unless it's obscene or vulgar or racial.

In my opinion and from my years of posting on boards I'd have to say that the moderators for this forum are very lienant. That's ok, I'm not complaining about that. I just do not tolorate personall attacks or flames that are directed towards me, and so I will stand up for myself in reciprocation.

I mean really in what manner did stormdame's remark about my screen name contribute to this thread? That's the thing with forum boards, becuase some one is not sitting directly across from you, it makes some people say things that they would never dare say when actually sitting across the table from some one. You basically get treated the way you treat other on forums, so if you just like to flame people your going to get flamed back, and if you happen to do it on the wrong forum you stand the possibility of getting your ip banned.

CCar I was making a suggestion about posting to stormdame, or is it ok to flame me and make those kinds of comments to me becuase I'm not an adjuster or in the insurance industry? It's ok he's just another one of those greedy contractors visiting the site just to argue with us like others before. This is a public site, which to me means any one who finds it is welcome here as a guest, so why don't you get on them for attacking another guest in that manner?

Have I posted in such a manner to warrant such rude and suggestive comments about me? If so I'll eat my words, if not then maybe some one should address them instead of addressing me.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  19:33:41  Show Profile
DG, you haven't heard / read nothing yet, if you dare to think you have been treated harshly.

Butter wouldn't melt from the mouths of who has said whatever to you so far; relative to what has been said in these forums.

Your user name may be more palatable in an online gaming facility, where luck, chance or probability has some relationship to what is dealt in life. But here, where realities are dealt with for a living, your user name may be considered as harsh and presented in a blasting manner; especially given your total anonymity.

You will have to quickly grow a tougher more fire resistive skin, if you feel any heat at this time from what you have perceived as flames. Man, you haven't even felt or seen the pilot light on the burner yet, and, unless you come to deserve it; I hope you never do feel the real flames that blow here occasionally.
Go to Top of Page

DEMIGOD

99 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  22:37:44  Show Profile
Hey, Anybody can say what they wish I guess. And with that if I feel the need to say something in return I will. But see CCarr it's like this with "us" gamers. Post on a forum board only what you'd be willing to say to some one's face. Gamers recognize that posting in such manner really shows ingorance no matter how eloquent the words, or how articulated that post may be. It's easy to flame or insult some one over the internet and its just cowardly. People like that are not tolorated and just banned. Also the online gamming community deals with real life issues all the time esp in the area of "Character and Conduct".

I assumed that most of you knew this allready, but my mistake. Also I have looked around here for a forum policy but I have not seen one, usually forums have sticky threads for first time visiters to the forum explaining forum rules and conduct. Does this forum have something like this? Maybe I'll look around some more but I haven't found one yet. If there is please direct me in the right direction so I can read it.

Thx.

Found it: :Responsibility for what is posted in the chat rooms, forums, and other public posting areas on Catadjuster.org lies with each user -you alone are responsible for material you post. By using Catadjuster.org you agree not to post or transmit any defamatory, abusive, obscene, threatening or illegal material, or any other material that infringes on the ability of others to enjoy Catadjuster.org or that infringes on the rights of others. We retain the right to deny access to anyone who we believe has violated these terms or any other term of this agreement.

Edited by - DEMIGOD on 04/23/2004 22:42:44
Go to Top of Page

kmil579

6 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  00:43:18  Show Profile
Hey DG, I believe I was the aforementioned poster who "hasnt bothered to post anything since" as you so eloquently put it. How presumptuous of you to think I havent posted because you have made me walk away with my proverbial tail between my legs. I have been out of town working on a boat house at my camp and left the outside world behind for a few days. As I have stated before I dont agree with your business practices and feel that based on the information that you have posted in these forums that you pressure homeowners into buying things that may or may not be needed. I offer Ridge Vents and other ventilation options but Do not feel the need to tell a Homeowner to sign a waiver releasing me from any liability that may arise from the roof due to improper ventilation. Say what you will but this is a scam. You could make the homeowner sign something that says that they were offered ridgevent and refused but does not word it in a way as to make them feel as though they will not have a warranty on their roof. You seem like an intelligent person so I am sure you understand exactly what I am talking about. Most homeowners are uninformed and when you tell them they will not have a warranty on their roof if they dont do something they will more than likely do it. Tricking or scaring homeowners(many of which are probably elderly) into purchasing things based on fear gives us honest contractors a bad rap.
Go to Top of Page

DEMIGOD

99 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  01:21:03  Show Profile
Ok kmil579 so the tit for tat is over. I got you and you got me. It's not a scam and if your not informing your home owners of all the other things that need to be done in order for the new ridge vent to be installed that's your business. We tell them everything thats involved and we also inform them of the possible consequences of the decisions they make. If they need additional ventilation they are informed and offered solutions. If they refuse that's up to them. NOT one home owner has ever had issue with signing our waiver becuase they understand that we practice business resposibly. The facts of the matter are that if they happen to make a defective shingle warranty the manufacturer will look at several things "ventilation" being one of them. And until you get some one who drags you into court to blame you for not informing them that they needed additional ventilation and it's "our" fualt that the defective shingle warranty claim was denied you might not understand our postion about this matter.

Our home owners always have a choice to add additional ventilation if it's recommened to them. If they elect not to why should we leave ourselves open to possible liability. In court it's all about what you can prove and in todays world and with the "image" our industry has, who is most likely to get believed, the home owner or the contractor?

Here's a good example. We had a client who after the roofing and siding portion of the work had been completed by us, we asked for the money to pay for the roof. They did not want to pay becuase two small areas of the roof had sagging. Now the sales rep had explained to them when the decided to use our company that this was normal and if it didn't pose any nailable issues it would be left as is unless they wanted to decking boards replaced. They declined, but oh how soon they forgot that they declined and decided to not only hold up the roofing money they held the siding money. We offered to just replace the boards if they'd agree to pay the roofing balance, they agreed. We fixed, we didn't get paid. Next news was the letters from the home owners lawyer stating that we didn't say such and such at the time of the sale and that we decieved them bla bla bla. So now the owner of our company is spending lots of money on the attorney for repsonce letters back and forth bla bla bla. It could have effectively been nipped in the bud with a simple fax to the home owners lawyer showing that they were informed and chose not to replace the boards. Of course this one instance is what set forth in motion our decking waiver. Now every home owener has to sign one, indicating what action to take depending on what is found after the roof is torn off, the job does not have to stop becuase we know exactly what they want done.

Here is a link to the site for the form we use for attic ventilation. It clearly states that when a new roof is installed a properly designed attic ventilation sytem MUST be installed to active the shingle warranty. Theres not fear tactics involved it's just a reality. A reality that alot of contractors either overlook or don't know about.

http://www.airvent.com/professional/resources/literature/AtticInspectPad.pdf

If after we do all the calculations it's found that they need additional ventilation and they refuse it's on them not us if any problems arise down the road and we try not to leave anything to chance.

Here is also a link to GAF's warranty. If you read it Limitations of coverage you see plainly that no warrany is provided if ventilation is inadequate.
http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/60357.pdf

DG

Edited by - DEMIGOD on 04/24/2004 01:41:31
Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  02:56:17  Show Profile
Demigod: Obviously, you are in the minority of your contractor peers (at least the ones who post here). You seem to have morals which govern your actions. Please don't take this wrong, but I would suggest that you not allow yourself to get sucked into their cesspool. Responding to their ignorant postings only serves to draw you into their scheme. They want everyone to be corrupted, why give them the satisfaction of a response to their insanity? I am a big believer in ignor-ance--ignore them and they will go away to get the attention they so crave elsewhere. And why the hell someone would tee off on you because of what your screen name may conjure in their warped minds is a mystery to me. Just goes to show what we have to deal with. You owe no explanation. Personally, I welcome you and your forthright input as a member of the contracting profession. If only all members and visitors here were as genuine, this forum would be much the better. Besides, we'll never convert the liberal, the democrat, the muslim fundamentalist or the rest of the "rescue everyone from themselves" folks from their misguided mindsets.

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

Tom Toll

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2004 :  07:53:48  Show Profile
I am going to side with DG. I have worked many claims on roofs that were not properly ventilated and suggested to the homeowner that adequate ventilation be done while the roofing is being replaced. Most of them say the original builder should be responsible, some on homes 20+ years of age. Of course we know that is not the case, it is up to the legitimate owner to properly ventilate the roof. Ventilation secures several issues, heat and cold air loss and prevention of shingles and decking overheating which deteriorates the capacity of longevity. As competent adjusters, we should suggest to homeowners that they may have a ventilation problem and suggest they get it resolved as soon a possible. Most will, but some hard heads will not. Do we owe for adverse deflection in the nailable surface, of course not, unless it was damaged by a covered cause of loss. This has been an issue for many years and suggestions to resolve the problem is beneficial to the homeowner and the company who writes the coverage on the home.

I don't care for anonymous names, but that is the right of all individuals who desire to not reveal their true identity. Anonymous: lacking individuality, distinction, or recognizability, as taken from Websters. If they fear someone knowing who and what they are, leave them to their anonymous posts. I am not personally ashamed of anything I post, I therefore choose to use my full name. I am not always right about everything, but am not ashamed to admit that I do not know all that is to be known about our industry.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000