Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

goose

57 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  20:30:05  Show Profile
I stand corrected. The scenario you described would be a dream. The only flood claims I have worked, for the most part, were the NFIP type. I agree with the fire claims too. I just returned from CA and it was a good storm and fairly easy (compared to hail).
Go to Top of Page

teolson

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  20:36:41  Show Profile
I do those types of claims on a daily basis in MN, but I didnt realize companies use cat adjusters for that type of work. I guess I assumed they would use local independent firms. I have been a multi-line adjuster for over 12 years , so if you know of someone who needs help with those types of claims, please feel free to let me know. Thanks

Edited by - teolson on 04/22/2004 20:38:54
Go to Top of Page

Debby

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  21:44:21  Show Profile
Give me those basement claims! Hot or cold outside, the basement is nuetral but for the usual smells. Can see alot more of those when not hauling a ladder back and forth, etc..
Go to Top of Page

Stormdame

7 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  21:48:07  Show Profile
Seems it is hard for adjusters who are from the hail states to understand the value of flooded basements. Worked lots of those claims several years ago for CNA and American Family, it was not bad work. I would not mind working them again. Mayber I should move back out of this part of the country where people don't even understand what a basement is.

Jim if you need help, just call, sounds much better than these roofs.
Go to Top of Page

Wes

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  22:20:28  Show Profile
Jim, you state that you feel fire losses are gold lying under our feet in your post about basements. Can you please list the good points of fire losses to a cat adjuster like you did for the basements. I have always felt that fire losses were more trouble than they are worth so I am interested in your experienced perspective.
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  22:51:45  Show Profile
Wes, obviously one would be hard pressed to pick up an assignment where all the losses were fire, unless the fire event was a wildfire, which in fact at times has required cat adjuster deployment.

Obviously as well, most fire claims (daily fire claims at least) are handled on a T&E basis, which I would argue is better than sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

The larger point I was trying to make, is for cat adjusters to open their minds to all of those 10,000 storms a year we experience in America and not be blinded only by hail.

It seems to me that it takes a helluva lot of luck to have a good year in this business when all one bets on is getting a hail storm or two and a hurricane. As many know from experience, that does not generally make for a good year, but for dire straits.

Obviously as well, the multi-line adjuster is going to recognize more opportunities for work than those with a one peril mentality. Fire claim handling of course is only a part of that larger multi-line pie, and the more flexible and knowledgeable the adjuster is in being able to handle all types of claims, the greater the likelihood that adjuster will find more work and hence, make more money. And isn't that the bottom line name of the game?

Finally, while I do not know of a(ny) specific openings in the Northeast US right now, the carrier examiners supervising claims around here and local IA's are all saying they are swamped with basement flood claims.

I would almost bet that the industrious adjuster who calls or emails 10 to 20 local independent firms up here in New England advising of their availability for work, would luck up and find an assignment for the taking right now.

I can only lead the horse to water. I can't make him or her drink.

Believe me, if I were sitting at home right now and looking for storm work, and heard about this, I would be on the telephone calling each and every local adjusting firm up here in a New York minute until I hit that vein of gold!

Edited by - JimF on 04/22/2004 22:56:33
Go to Top of Page

Czar

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  22:53:16  Show Profile
Jim:

I would agree I enjoy 50 flooded basements over 25 hail damage claims, and even more so when the water is still running down the wall from the ground/surface water. Even if it is a back-up and there is coverage for it, it is usually no more then $5 - 10,000.00. You write till you hit the limit then close your file. Only pain is the Non-Waiver and discussing it with the insured.

As far as a house fire, give me a rental unit or a condo where no contents or ALE are involved. The last thing I think a cat adjuster would want is being in the middle of a $150,000.00 house fire when a hail storm hits a few states away. Nothing is worst then getting an insured content/wish list, and having to trudge through it. There can be a good amount of money to earn for a large house fire, but the main word is EARN.
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  23:06:58  Show Profile
Czar, let me ask you.

If a local independent New England adjusting firm said to you, hey we need some help on flooded basements and we have 100 inspection/denial claims sitting here waiting for you (at $100 to $150 per clip to you), would you take the storm assignment?

Now Czar what are you going to do when that same local IA then adds, but we may also hand you one or two fires a month as well? Plus an occasional theft or 3rd party property claim?

Would you still be interested?

And how many "cat adjusters" would be QUALIFIED for the assignment?

(I don't mean this question as personal to you, but suggest it is the one question every cat adjuster needs to ask themselves if they truly seek to be successful financially).

And if a cat adjuster is not goal oriented enough to plan on being financially successful and so poorly motivated that they lack the initiative for the personal growth & development necessary to achieve financial success for themselves and their families, then why in the heck are they here?

Edited by - JimF on 04/22/2004 23:35:28
Go to Top of Page

Czar

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  23:18:51  Show Profile
Jim:

I know you posted that the question you posed was not personally directed to me, but let me answer: Hell yes I would take them all. I think in the last year I have turned down 2 claims, and both of those were truck accidents 2 hours away. Granted I am a multi-line adjuster so I would be qualified for property or casualty, which makes my options better. Your point does makes sense to me and I don't understand why it would not make sense to anyone else, unless they had a direct pipe line to a carrier for all of their cat work. Unless you are independently wealthy who doesn't need to work. Putting all of your hailstones in one basket....
Go to Top of Page

WilburBarnes63026

14 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  23:23:20  Show Profile
Sir:

Could you narrow down where in New England all these claims are so some of us could make some calls?
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  23:26:06  Show Profile
All of Connecticut, Westchester County and Long Island, NY and most likely upper New Jersey (Bergen, Essex, & Union Counties) and all of Rhode Island.

While Connecticut, New York and Long Island are still getting new ice dams claims, Rhode Island is still especially swamped with ice dam claims.

(Don't forget that there are many "Snow Birds" up here and many are just now coming home from Florida from winter vacation and just now discovering winter ice damage).

Edited by - JimF on 04/22/2004 23:30:31
Go to Top of Page

WilburBarnes63026

14 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  23:36:05  Show Profile
Thank you, do you recommend any company or vendor in particular? "Know before you go"
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2004 :  23:42:39  Show Profile
I would call them all in this situation.

Try an internet search and look for the larger local or regional adjusting companies based up here.

Probably not a bad idea for those who work regularly with Crawford and Lindsey to call their cat offices and see if they have anything.

The thought occurred this afternoon, I sure wouldn't mind owning a ServiceMaster or ServePro franchise up here right now!
Go to Top of Page

Todd Summers

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  10:49:28  Show Profile
Ok Jim,
Thanks for elaborating. I understand and agree with everything you've said. Why didn't you just say so? I'd take as many of those as I could get as well.
Go to Top of Page

Todd Summers

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2004 :  10:51:42  Show Profile
But, alas, I am sitting here on standby, waiting for Big Red to make up their collective mind and watching all of the hail reports on the Weather Channel...I did turn the volume down a bit.

Edited by - Todd Summers on 04/23/2004 10:52:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000