Question about comp roof over slate
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Czar

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  17:37:18  Show Profile
Just recently I conducted wind inspection to a 2 story 100 year old dwelling. Insured is missing enough singles on two slopes of hip roof to warrant replacement of those slopes. When I was on the roof it appeared very hard for lack of a better term. Insured told me that at some point 3-tabs were installed over the original slate. We went into the attic and sure enough there was slate visible through the plank decking. Looks like nails for comp shingles were drove right through slate.

I have never come across this and did not know any problems that might occur with replacement of only the two slopes. At this point I am thinking about allowing teardown to the deck on the two slopes and leaving the rest alone. Any thoughts or has anyone ran into this with comp over slate before.

alanporco

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  19:24:02  Show Profile
Czar: You might want to check the local building codes. It is possible that the entire roof may need to be done if you remove the original slate roof in any portion. If this is a simple hip roof and you're replacing 2 slopes, that may be enough to trigger the code upgrade. Hope your insured has code upgrade coverage in his policy.
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  22:07:18  Show Profile
Alan is correct; the current BOCA (Federal) code is no more than two roofs. SO if the comp and the slate have to come off, and the roof sheathing applied, there will be a substantial difference in the appearance of the roof.

Check the local codes, the L&O coverage, also the conditions of the loss and the potential for related damages to occur if only a portion is replaced.

Is it a gable roof or a hip?

Post a photo so we all can play.
Go to Top of Page

Czar

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  23:23:14  Show Profile
Alan:

Thanks, claim settled this past week for two slopes removal of both layers slate included(per code). No building codes requiring full replacement. Homeowner seemed happy enough as comp roof was 25 years old and should have been replaced 5 years ago. Roofer seemed like good guy (go figure) and will attempt to fit whole roof under settlement figure.

Edited by - Czar on 04/10/2004 23:24:00
Go to Top of Page

alanporco

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  12:28:05  Show Profile
You're saying the roofer wasn't Abcrdp? Quote the adjuster: "Nevermore"
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  14:26:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Czar

Alan:

Homeowner seemed happy enough...
Roofer seemed like good guy...

Go to Top of Page

Czar

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2004 :  22:32:50  Show Profile
Alan:

I am not in the business of bashing contractors, ABCRDP, not withstanding, but this guy was rather straight forward, which is always appreciated and welcomed.
Go to Top of Page

alanporco

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  10:13:48  Show Profile
Let us not forget that there are some excellent roofers out there. Some who do quality work, repairs or replacements, at reasonable prices (yes, ReconMan, that means reasonable by insurance company definition). I've met roofers who depise this "new breed" of roofer who is nothing more than a single trade PA. Unfortunately, most of these good guy roofers are not a part of the X-Gen, they are older and will soon be gone from the industry.
Go to Top of Page

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  10:30:20  Show Profile
I wonder how many of these 1 trade o&P guys would be so fired up about the extra profit if they were competing for roofing business that does not involve insurance.
Go to Top of Page

alanporco

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  13:18:10  Show Profile
olderthendirt: It would probably depend on how much insurance related work is available in the area. They'll take the insurance work first. I've had many a homeowner inform me that the only reason they turned in a claim was that a roofer suggested it. Most often the damage found on the roof was due to old damage that some one had done spot repairs to or not damage, at all, but rather normal wear and tear. When things are slow, the roofers will compete for jobs order to keep their crews working. When the storm spigot opens up, they drink from that tap only.
Go to Top of Page

Johnd

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  14:37:12  Show Profile
Older, put another way, I wonder how many of these 1 trade guys would put O&P on the bottom of their bid forms or contracts in plain view of the customers if insurance WAS NOT involved? Would they still be competative. What would a homeowner say if faced with an additional $1000 in O&P charges on a contract to re-roof his home. He would scream like a mashed panther. The only reason O&P is even in the mix is because of the percieved deep pockets of insurance companies.

John Durham
sui cuique fingunt fortunam
Go to Top of Page

razorbackadj

2 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  15:59:11  Show Profile
Let's really call them for what they are roof "salespersons"
Go to Top of Page

Czar

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2004 :  18:39:16  Show Profile
Johnd:

I have actually shared with homeowners, a copy of their contractor's estimate (for some reason the contractor doesn't give them a copy, you figure it out). Once the homeowner sees that the contractor wants 20% on top of the price to replace their roof, they go to the contractor and it is usually taken off without the usual hassle.

Edited by - Czar on 04/12/2004 18:41:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000