CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives
 All Forums
 Claim Handling
 General Discussion
 "Isabel", is a Hot Potato headed behind?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  21:18:37  Show Profile
JimF, Your concerns about the warm bodies has been addressed by the NFIP. According to NFIP application for certification, one has to have flood adjusting experience in the category of claims for which that person is applying. As of last year, they require that even adjusters working for the WYO carriers be NFIP certified. Accordingly, since no one else writes residential flood coverage, it will, after several, years be impossible for anyone to qualify. Eventually they should run out of adjusters because no new flood adjusters will be able to qualify because of lack of experience. An acquaintance of mine, attended a flood seminar last year and truthfully answered that he had no experience, Well, his application was denied. So they have created a catch 22. You can't get certified without experience and you cant get experience without a certification. Well, maybe it won't work exactly that way. Back in the old days, before the WYO program, the exact same catch 22 existed. Somehow, lots of folks with no adjusting experience were awarded flood certifications. I suspect it works the same way now. Seems like maybe they are only keeping honest folks out of the program. There always seem to be the "untrained warm bodies" as you so aptly put it.

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  22:15:47  Show Profile
Larry, I attended the flood claims conference on Friday of last week. Although it was tedious I seem to remember that they said something about uncertified adjusters working claims under the direct guidance of a certified adjuster and having both the mentor and protégé' sign off on the final report. Thereby a new adjuster gets experience and after a time the mentor can write a letter saying that he/she believes the new adjuster is prepared to handle claims on his/her own. At that time the NFIP would review the records and issue a certification if warranted. I don't know if I have all the facts straight, I tend to glaze over in long lectures but I believe I got the gist of it. Already being certified, I didn't pay much attention to the part on how to get certified.
Go to Top of Page

rbryanhines

22 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  23:19:33  Show Profile
I wonder who plans to "mentor" the new adjuster. Better yet, who is going to pay him? It will probably be another one of the favors done for the vender by the adjuster trying to move his way up the roster!
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  18:07:00  Show Profile
When an experienced adjuster "mentors" a fledgling adjuster, the norm is not for the new adjuster to be paid. This of course, depends on the arrangement made, as to what the new adjuster can contribute to the claims in the way of inspection, ladder work, measuring, etc.

If an experienced adjuster is willing to perform “Pro Bono” work, and also is willing to be accompanied by a malahani, why in the world would the new adjuster wish to be paid to learn, Mind Boggling to me.
Go to Top of Page

Steve H

Switzerland
30 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  19:46:54  Show Profile
During the Dallas storm, the rumor was that the SF/Pilot plan was that the new guy was paid $250/day for holding the dumb end of the tape and unloading ladders and learning how to operate the estimating system. Not bad, if you can work your way out of the basement.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  09:13:19  Show Profile
Please, for my sanity, will the next poster start a new thread or four, suggested titles;

Thanks to Roy, Training Noobs, Volunteer mentors and NFIP, what now?
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  18:03:02  Show Profile
New Information provided by NFIP today. Read and comment.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/2004/03/18/40215.htm
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2004 :  18:22:24  Show Profile
I think this will all boil down to what most of us have been saying all along. People who have never had a flood claim before have no clue how limited flood insurance really is. Out of 24,000 claims they are only reviewing 80? That sounds like a pretty fair ratio.

Go to Top of Page

Quaka

Cuba
17 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2004 :  12:50:54  Show Profile
Let's all get educated from attending the National Flood Service, Kim Berger Claim Manager, special flood class. This way all of our flood files will pass with flying colors and we can all say we were beat into submission by one of the many experts on NFIP policy and claims handling.
Kalispell , he we come. I hear the elk hunting is real good, besides it all tastes like chicken.

Quaka Mole
Go to Top of Page

Reconstruction Man

124 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  02:46:12  Show Profile
Just a quick hello and FYI,

Mr. Green will also be meeting with our group.

Stay tuned...

And during the intermission for those who love "innocent", yet clever, and mathematically / circumstantially improbable "who done it, who knew it and why" mysteries, we offer the following Names and Faces buffet:

(Highlight, copy and paste url's into your preferred browser address line)

www.truthaboutlloyds.com/index2.html

www.truthaboutlloyds.com/regulation/ANA-Levene%20correspondence%20031004.htm#sh3

www.truthaboutlloyds.com/misleadingterms.html
Check out the terms "Lloyds American Trust Deed" and "Reinsurance to Close"

Now wasn't Citibank in the news again 2 days ago concerning their WorldCom / Enron(?)recommended investors still being brought in just 14 months before those big bubbles burst? Hmmm...

www.truthaboutlloyds.com/fraud/overview_asbestos.htm

-and...
www.time.com/time/magazine/intl/article/0,9171,1101000228-40522-1,00.html

-and also...
www.time.com/time/europe/lloydsfile/index.html

-and finally for dessert...
www.truthaboutlloyds.com/regulation/ANA-Levene%20correspondence%20031004.htm#sh3

Warning: Read the above on an empty stomach...and, maybe, expect even higher premiums...
Go to Top of Page

Reconstruction Man

124 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  02:48:31  Show Profile
Opps...Sorry...Forget the "Highlight, copy and paste url's into your preferred browser address line" line.

Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  08:18:03  Show Profile
Actually, these are fairly old stories.

Are you just getting around to reading them and learning about them now?

Now what was it that someone once said about getting blood out of a turnip?

Edited by - JimF on 03/23/2004 08:18:58
Go to Top of Page

Reconstruction Man

124 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  12:12:10  Show Profile
JimF,

You feel "these are fairly old stories"...?

Actually, the "story" is still being written...and unfolding...

Reference the "old" ANA / Lloyds letters dated 2-19-2004, 3-5-2004 (sic), and 3-9-(2004)...especially interesting is the 2-19-2004 letter....third, fourth and fifth paragraphs:

http://www.truthaboutlloyds.com/regulation/ANA-Levene%20correspondence%20031004.htm#lev1

February 19, 2004
Lord Peter Levene
Chairman
Lloyd's
One Lime Street
London, England

Dear Lord Levene:

---

(3.)In the absence of any clear public pronouncements by Lloyd's, it appears that the capital provided by Lloyd's franchisees after 2004 will not be available to cover any claims against the current premium trust funds or present Central Fund.

(4.) Whether the reorganization into a franchise will entail a new or partitioned Central Fund, and new and separate Lloyd's American Trust Funds for business going forward, is equally unclear.

(5.)At two NAIC quarterly meetings, as well as a seminar sponsored by the American Bar Association, I and/or ANA's Executive Director Jeffrey Peterson, stated on the record that we have not seen any evidence that Lloyd's has made an organizational or contractual commitment to stand behind policies written after December 31, 1992 and prior to January 1, 2005.

---

...Fellow humans were / are bleeding financially and literally (reference the associated sucicides), not turnips...

In our opinion...lots of people trust lots of other people to play fair at whatever game rules that they have an inherent, or acquired advantage of, over the other person...sometimes it just takes a while to see, and prove, who has been pretending that others well being and good faith is their middle name.

Mr. Green, and other reporters, being properly introduced to well developed indemnity protection concepts, will have bushels of turnips to harvest and process.

Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  12:24:02  Show Profile
My point was that the difficulties outlined in some of your links with Lloyds are nothing new. Of course, the realignment and financial restructuring at Lloyds is a continuing story, but not one with which most of us don't already have some degree of familiarity with and understand.

(As a point of reference, Lloyds has still not closed the insurance claim file on the Titanic, and how many years ago was that sinking? These things sometimes take time, so be patient!)

I would add that these stories have little bearing on most adjusters and clearly are legal and management issues for those far up the ladder beyond our pay scale.

Edited by - JimF on 03/23/2004 12:27:48
Go to Top of Page

Todd Summers

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2004 :  15:14:31  Show Profile
Wow! Give that file to me and I'll get it closed! Ghostbuster are you interested in the salvage?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000