Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  08:44:21  Show Profile
Any carpet salesman in the world is very happy with 10% waste factor, and most insurance carriers. Not all... most.
Go to Top of Page

gloverb

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  22:57:58  Show Profile
dano009,
The "roll" method first came from floor covering companies because that is how carpet has to be measured to get the proper amount of carpet that has to be purchaced; however, this covers only the amount of carpet. The amount of pad should be the exact room dimension because there is virtually no waste with pad.

Also floor covering companies try to charge for installation of all of the carpet purchased including the waste. Most insurance companies no longer allow this.

In the previous example of a 12'6" x 18' room there is 331/3 yd of carpet, but thereis only 25yd of pad, removal, & installation labor.
Go to Top of Page

gloverb

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2004 :  23:02:50  Show Profile
I do have a question. If you have a room that is say 12'x15'0", do you deduct 3" from each side of the 12' width? (assuming 12' width availability for the carpet)
Go to Top of Page

Todd Summers

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  10:13:28  Show Profile
glover,
This really depends on the type/quality of the rug and whether or not you can get a good clean roll. Many carpets can be stretched in with minimal trimming on a 12' wide room. But it is not going to be square and this results in some trimming , which is not a big deal on a thinner pile , but try trimming a 1/2 an inch on a dense 1 1/4" pile... very tough to do even if by hand.

In other words the answer to your question is no, not necessarily. A good technician can make it work. And everyone loves "seamless".
Go to Top of Page

Catmandale

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  12:19:15  Show Profile
Gloverb,

Regarding your question of the 12 x 15 room, you may indeed have a problem.

In manufacture, carpet usually varies from 11'10" to 12'2" in width, a part of which may be the backing carrier or scrim overlap. You may be able to stretch the piece in, if you don't have a doorway that makes the rooom 12'2" at its' widest point.

Most carpet tends to stretch more in the length of the roll than the width. Some carpets, such as Axministers, are rolled up in length, but if you try to fold it across its width, its like a piece of plywood. That is a function of the weave..Axminister is actually woven rather than needle punched and latexed into a backing.

The doorway issue is a part of why the extra 3" in length may be needed also.

Frankly, I have commented on these issues because I was a carpet layer, estimator and restoration contractor before going to work for Big Red in 1986. It is really not important that adjusters know all the fine points of ordering carpet.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, even with the yardage or footage correct, the value of the settlement may be off on the cost per yard anyway. But we have be be as right as possible, and quantity is a great place to start.

Edited by - Catmandale on 03/01/2004 12:20:00
Go to Top of Page

Todd Summers

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2004 :  10:30:24  Show Profile
Well said Cat.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2004 :  12:20:27  Show Profile
Buying a Disto laser and using it for all interior measurement will assist in arriving at the "correct" quantity. The more expensive ones will figure square footage.
Go to Top of Page

johnpostava

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  08:11:04  Show Profile
Several years ago we thought (and users wanted) a detailed carpeting/flooring calculator in our software. I searched the web at that time and found there were entire software programs written to do carpeting calculations. The most popular at that time was over $3,000.00 to buy. I rec'd the demo and quickly realized you needed a great deal of information about the job in addition to just the room size (type of carpet, roll size, pattern layout, multiple open areas using the same carpet, etc). We decided adjusters would not go through the trouble of getting all the information needed. They would spend more time estimating the carpet than it would take to do the whole estimate. In the end we decided on a 7% waste factor when estimating carpet and we let the user override that factor when necessary. Any smaller waste factor was unrealistic in the real world and anything over that usually needs to be justified with a carpet installers written estimate or explanation. One day we may add a detailed carpet calculator (if our carriers/clients begin to require it).
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2004 :  16:11:34  Show Profile
Great post John: but this really belongs in the" know before you go"; doesn't it? Next time I will ask do you accept 7% or 10% or do want to see the floor plans and seams on a whole house of C& P. The answer will be: (small storm) we will discuss when you get here. On a cat. 4 or 5 come on. The old movable line again... huh Brian.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000