Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Johnd

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  12:23:31  Show Profile
Tom Toll:
I have also seen some rotten adjusters. I have seen some excellent Vendors to, like Reliable Adjusting Co., Jim Lakes, etc. Neither of these Vendors charge anything to attend seminars/meetings. Jim Lakes for example does not have meetings as he is smart enough to recognize and retain good adjusters. If the majority of the Vendor "public" would follow his example this business would be a joy to work within.

I have to take exception with your statement; "The vendors do not know the qualifications of adjusters, they take their words for it...." If this is the case, then they get what they deserve... This is a BUSINESS, albeit a slopply run one at times, that should require adjusters to PROVE their skills and competence level BEFORE being allowed to project these skills on an unsuspecting public suffering from a cat loss.

Again I will repeat, If vendors cannot or will not vet each and every adjuster they broker claims to on ANY storm then they should GET OUT OF THE BUSINESS and allow the few who WILL to provide this service in a professional manner. This is the crux of the fee schedule problem and probably the root of most other community (CAT) related problems.

Tom, may I respectfully suggest that in lieu of an adjuster association, which does not seem to be gathering any steam, we all concentrate on forcing the issue on requiring the vendors to be RESPONSIBLE and LIABLE for their bad hiring/assingment desisions. If this would happen, you would be suprised at what would happen with the fee schedules for GOOD adjusters.

I have worked direct for several carriers without a vendor between my work and their claim and have sit and had "coffee" with many IC managers. I have been shocked, nay appaled, at some of the stories they tell about the vendors and their "adjusters." The two most used descriptive adjectives used in these conversations were "fraud & felony."

Here is a tip for some of you qualified and ambitious adjusters. During times of inactivity, pick up the phone and make an appointment with 6-7 IC managers or Vendors. Get in the family sled and go see them in person as in one on one. One visit like this is better than 10 meetings. Tell them your qualifications, take a portfolio of sample claims you have handled in the past, give them an indepth look at your personality and claims handling techniques, tell them your philosophy on dealing with problem insureds etc. Market your skills THIS WORKS.

Those of you without skills, stay home and wait the phone may ring.

John Durham
sui cuique fingunt fortunam
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  12:55:08  Show Profile
John, I think you have struck upon a very credible issue - ".... requiring the vendors to be responsible and liable for their bad hiring / assignment decisions ....".

Now, it is totally off topic to this thread, and your statement covers many underlying individual issues - responsibility, liability, consequences, how to avoid, bad hiring decisions, bad assignment decisions. Each of these items and more, merit discussion and illustration.

Would you / could you start a new thread, and start us off with your more detailed views on these items?
Go to Top of Page

Johnd

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  13:26:55  Show Profile
Clayton, I am going out of town for 10 days therefore unable to give the time required for this subject. I will be happy to participate as fully as possible on as needed basis.

You are far more qualified to lead this thread/discussion than I am. I will take my computer with me and try and make some notes regarding this proposed thread.

If you are unable, maybe Tom Toll, who is among the top in qualifications can assume this mantle. And of course I hope Ghost brings his flamethrower to the party.

I would expect if this thread is started to hear from Jim Lakes who has a handle on working with adjusters as a vendor.

John Durham
sui cuique fingunt fortunam
Go to Top of Page

Quaka

Cuba
17 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  16:15:09  Show Profile
What crap. We have attended our fair share of " seminars" by the vendors. It boils down to being on the " favored " call out list. As far as I am concerned, go ahead and spend your time and efforts to attend these seminar, but the reality is, you do not better your chances for a call out when something stikes. We do fine in this industry and do not have to be on everyone's list. I feel that education is paramont and the PLRB type of event is well worth the visiting. This is where we pick up our yearly business and it heads and shoulders over some IA Vendor dog and pony show. Vegas would be great if you to drop some bucks and say you attended Eberl's Deal. We refuse. A cat 4 or 5 in the States will have all the vendors kissing our expertise and bettering the fee schedules. Just remember, going to a vendor's deal does not mean they will call you.

Quaka Mole
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  17:14:31  Show Profile
Actually, Ol' Dragons Breath is in the shop for an overhaul.

You guys wore it out last year. We went thru four nozzles, two hoses, and umpteen gallons of gas. The tank is dented, the paint is scarred, and some rude vandal scrawled on it, "Jim Flynt smells strange and ought to drive a Ford!" Also, there's , "For a good time, click CADO", and an old Bush/Cheney bumper sticker across the bottom. And, do you know how hard it is to scrape this Maple Leaf decal off the top???

In any event, we may have to substitue Kiles chainsaw or Dave Hoods home cooking instead for the few weeks. This time I'ma gonna paint it a candy apple red with white racing stripes.

Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  18:03:23  Show Profile
Well Ghost,

Iffin your wantin some okra,black eyed peas, and turnip greens, ill sure be happy to sent them.

Or when your better , how about some Veal Marcella or Coq a Vin?

Let me know , i recuperating also, and have not much else to do.

Happy Valentines Day..............................
Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2004 :  18:09:07  Show Profile

The vendors(brokers)(agents)are the problem and the solution. Why make any changes? The labor pool is unlimited.
Go to Top of Page

JHicks

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  13:02:53  Show Profile
I JUST COMPLETEED SEMINAR WITH PACESETTER AND IT WAS WELL RUN AND A FIRST CLASS OPERATION.THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THE LOW FEE BILLS THAT THESE VENDORS AGREE TO WORK FOR. FARMERS FEE IS 310.00 FROM 0 TO 5000.00 AND AMERICAN FAMILY IS 185.00 TO 5000.00.GIVE ME A BREAK WE ARE WORKING HARDER AND MAKING LESS.THERE IS NO VALUE IN EXPERIENCE AS A MULTI-LINE CLAIMS PERSON. THERE SHOULD BE A LIMIT OF TEN YEARS EXPERIENCE BEFORE YOU CAN BE A CAT ADJUSTER.LOOK AT THE SCALES 5 YEARS AGO AND SEE THAT YOUR PAY HAS REDUCED, YOUR WORK LOAD INCREASED AS WELL AS EXPENSE'S.
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  13:23:21  Show Profile
Hey!...quit being such a whiny-butt or you'll be replaced by Apu from Bombay doing the claim over the phone. You overpaid Americans have it too good for too long.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  13:26:31  Show Profile
No need to shout, Jack.
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  13:54:55  Show Profile
Jack, have a look at the "Fee Schedule Comparison" thread. I'd be pleased to include the Pacesetter fee schedules for the carriers you noted, into the next survey.
Go to Top of Page

DACARE

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  12:18:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by alanporco

Anyone one going to Eberls' conference in March 2004 in Las Vegas? Is Eberl the only agency to charge adjusters to attend their conference? or is this fairly standard? I've been CAT adjusting for 5 1/2 yrs, almost of which has thru Wardlaw (worked for another agency during Isabel). If Eberl gets 1,000 IA's to attend and they book rooms at Treasure Island via Eberls' website, Eberl will make a profit of $325,000. They will have no cost for their conference; the meeting rooms will be provided by the hotel for free for booking "X" number of rooms. Wardlaw doesn't charge, Allcats isn't charging. I am very interested to learn if charging adjusters is the industry standard. I look forward to seeing replys to this inquiry.

Go to Top of Page

trader

USA
236 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  18:01:35  Show Profile
I have never attended a conference that I had to pay for. I was getting plenty of work and did not see the reason to attend. I have seen post from persons who did and never was called by the vendor who invited them. This seems odd to me. I will attend all the free conference,s that appeal to me.(expense)
Go to Top of Page

dano009

46 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  23:18:00  Show Profile
I've been adjusting claims since I graduated from college twenty years ago. However, all these vendors and carriers require me to attend their certification seminars at my cost and do it every year. Got a letter from Cunningham-Lindsey requesting that I go to Vale National and pass their adjuster proficency certification course. I graduated from three Vale National courses like 11-16 years ago. They just don't get it. They can hire the other guy. I'm not going to any seminars/courses that I have to pay for and then work for the absurd fee schedules that carriers are paying. $185 for a $0-5000 claim. Get real!
Go to Top of Page

Tom Toll

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  09:15:04  Show Profile
The several situations I referred to involved the adjuster walking into a branch office when the branch had claims running out their ears. The adjusters presented themselves as competent and learned adjusters, and they were quite the contrary.

The concept of turn and burn em and then walk out, plagues this community. Then the adjuster gets call backs on a job badly done, then poor mouth the vendor for not paying them for their inferior work. You are right, John. I don't think most adjusters of today have the mentality to see that an organization of this nature would be beneficial. We are too much of a "ME" society now.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000