Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

TomS

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  07:04:12  Show Profile
[8D]
AT PRESENT, AND NOT TO STIR THE POLITCAL WATERS, AND JUST OFF WHAT "WE" KNOW NOW! WHO WILL YOU VOTE FOR IN THE NOVEMBER ELECTION?

THESE SEEM TO BE THE FRONT RUNNERS AND STAND THE MOST LIKELY CHANCE TO EITHER BE THE CANDIDATE FOR SAID PARTY AND OR THE MAJORITY.

I HAVE READ POLLS AFTER POLLS AND I THINK THIS SITE AND THESE PEOPLE HAVE A BETTER READ ON THE ENTIRE U.S.A. SITUATION.

THIS IS NOT TO CREATE A BIG TA-DO WITH OPINIONS AND PARTISISM POLITICS, JUST A HONEST VOTE AS TO WHO WILL BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT IN OUR OPINIONS, THE REAL WORKING PEOPLE ![:P]

Edited by - fivedaily on 02/09/2004 07:26:39

fivedaily

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  07:27:00  Show Profile
I will be voting for a Libertarian candidate yet to be decided.

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  07:51:35  Show Profile
JFK all the way.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  09:10:56  Show Profile
I will vote for a strong on defense, fiscal conservative. Where's Ronald Reagan when you really need him?
Go to Top of Page

Steve H

Switzerland
30 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  12:42:49  Show Profile
Since the Libertarians didn't get enough votes to stay on the ballot in TX, I will vote for the direction that I think the courts need to go return to balance. That would be ten degrees to the liberal at this time.
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  13:37:27  Show Profile
Some food for thought:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/columnists/molly_ivins/7769407.htm
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  16:20:01  Show Profile
At least he isn't selling secret missile guidance technology to the Chinese.
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  17:00:46  Show Profile
Yet............................................
Go to Top of Page

Jim Lakes

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  19:39:35  Show Profile
Come on people, if Jim Flynt who is a “staunch” Democrat and me, who is a “staunch” Republican can talk about politics without throwing mud, then we all can too.

As far as the article that was published by the Star, all I can say is, if someone don’t know that we were starting into a recession when Bush took office, went through the worst attack in our history and is fighting a war, that that would not put a strain on our budget, then they certainly haven't been watching what the world is doing.

May the best man win, for all our sakes.

Respectfully Submitted,
Jim Lakes
Go to Top of Page

Johnd

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  19:49:54  Show Profile
Jim Lakes:

YOU DA MAN ........

John Durham
sui cuique fingunt fortunam

Edited by - Johnd on 02/09/2004 19:50:45
Go to Top of Page

Amber

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  19:53:17  Show Profile
Amen Jim!

~Amber
"If you think something small cannot make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito in the room." ~unknown
Go to Top of Page

Jim Lakes

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  21:54:28  Show Profile
To All,

Right now I am more concerned about our judicial system than I am who is running for President.
We are all losing our rights and voice and do not even have the chance to vote on it. Like abortion, marriage, guns, some taxes, and many others. Marriage between a man and a woman is the most blatant right that is being taken away. 65% of all Americans are against same sex marriages and the courts are telling us that we have to accept it because they say so. What happened to the majority vote? Just because it is politically correct does not mean that it is right. We, as Americans should have the right to vote on those issues that affect our everyday lives and instead, judges on both sides of the spectrum and political isle are changing our constitution based on their OPINION. We all have opinions and we also have the right to have a say into what we believe one way or the other through the ballot box. My opinion and yours are as valid as any judge sitting on a bench.
I’m sure that all of us would have differing opinions on these subjects, but we don’t and cannot have a say as long as these judges keep taking these rights away from us. I think all of us should have that right to vote on these issues regardless of which way it went. At least we would have the right to have a say. We have none now.
I know some would say, “Well you have the right to vote on judges too.” That is not correct because most of the judges that are making these calls are appointed by someone. When this happens and we do not have the right or the power to vote them out or vote them in, they can do and are doing what they damn will please.
So, we need to take a closer look at who we put into congress and not worry so much about the presidential election because only congress can change this. And like I said it doesn’t matter which side you are on concerning these issues.
Wake up America.
Respectfully Submitted,
Jim Lakes.
Go to Top of Page

khromas

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2004 :  22:54:16  Show Profile
I would like to preface my remarks with a few personal facts:

I am a staunch fiscal conservative and almost invariably vote a staight Republican ticket.
I have been a political candidate at the school board level, for the Houston City Council and at the state legislative level as a Republican candidate in District 145.
I have a law degree from the University of Houston, and...
I am a licensed Baptist Minister although I do not serve as a pastor in any church at this time.

Having said all that, it is my OPINION that the courts have properly ruled on the issue of allowing same-sex marriages UNDER THE EQUAL PROTECTION CLAUSES OF THE APPLICABLE STATE AND US CONSTITUTIONS. I am sorry Jim, but the ruling did NOT take AWAY the right of a man and a woman to marry, as you have put forth in your posting. It has merely granted the same rights and priviledges that a man-woman marriage may have to a union between same-sex partners.

Many people (I count myself within this group) feel that same-sex relationships of this nature fall into the 'morality category'. ANY time we begin to espout that morality may be legislated into OR OUT OF existence we begin to tread on dangerous ground, for who or what group is given the right to dictate the current morality? At one point in our country's history, the majority of people (white males who were allowed to vote!) deemed that an entire race of the population could be subjected to involuntary servitude. No one now would claim that position as morally sound.

My point is - under the LAWS of this country, no one person or group of people should be treated differently, either by restrictive provisions or by granting of special priviledges, IN AREAS OF PERSONAL CHOICE AND LIFESTYLE, AS LONG AS THOSE CHOICES DO NOT INFRINGE UPON THE RIGHTS AND CHOICES OF OTHERS!

Do I agree with the life-choice of same-sex partners? I most certainly do not!... but my responsibility as a Christian is to continue to love them as a person and to minister to their soul in the place were they stand with their life. THAT is how you address the issue and change lives, not by trying to legislate their lifestyle out of existence.

I, also, respectfully submit.

Kevin Hromas
Go to Top of Page

Jim Lakes

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  01:06:40  Show Profile
Brother Kevin,
Thank you for your post on this site and this topic.
Maybe I should have made my point a little clearer. I was not saying that the legislators should pass laws of such but that the PEOPLE should have the right to vote as to whether or not they agree with this issue and others. I did not say that I was for or against that issue or any of the rest however, on this issue I would be against it for several reasons and if you are a “licensed Baptist minister” I can not understand how you could condone this “Un-Godly act.” What does the Bible say about it? The best I can remember, without going to it, is that God destroyed an entire city for this very same reason. Remember Sodom and Gomorra? But like I said it is not whether you or I agree on whether or not people can get married of the same sex, it is that we as American citizens do not have the right to vote on whether or not to make it a law of the land. It is being dictated to us by the courts and 65% of the people do not want that law.
I live in Ohio and they just passed a law prohibiting same sex marriages. I DO NOT agree with that either. Let the people of the land make that choice.
You helped make my point and stated just why I am against this one issue. You stated, AS LONG AS THOSE CHOICES DO NOT INFRINGE UPON THE RIGHTS AND CHOICES OF OTHERS! It does infringe upon my rights and choices. If I had children of a young age I could not take them to Disney World at certain times for fear of having to explain why two men were kissing or two women, to my children. The same is true of television. You of all people, being a Christian, know that your choices are infringed upon as a result of this type behavior. As far as my rights, if I owned an apartment, which I don’t, I could not have the right to refuse to rent to this lifestyle if I wanted to. Have we lost that right with these type laws? I would love to say no, but I can’t.

Again, my post was not for or against these laws as much as it was saying we don’t have the right to vote on what laws that are placed upon us. The last time I checked this was still a Democracy.

Oh and by the way, my Uncle was a Southern Baptist minister, my father was a Deacon in a Southern Baptist church, my mother was a Sunday school teacher and I spent 42 years of my life as a Southern Baptist. And I also spent 8 years in public service as a city councilman here in southern Ohio.

Again, thank you for your opinion. You are entitled to it just like all of us. And just like I said, I feel we should have the right to vote on issues that affect our everyday lives and not have some judge dictate laws from the bench. They are supposed to interpret the laws, Not make them.
Respectfully Submitted,
Jim Lakes

Go to Top of Page

goose

57 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  01:54:05  Show Profile
I am a life long southern boy and we know what a disaster the majority vote that supported slavery and later, Jim Crow laws, turned out to be. Thank God we lived through that dark era of American history, but we still have a ways to go. The majority is not always right, which is one reason why we live in a republic, not a true democracy. The judicial system is seperate by design. For no branch needs to have absolute control, but must have checks and balances. I do not understand the way some people want to live, and I don't care how they live, either. As long as they aren't hurting anybody and give me the same right. And that goes for both political parties, too.
Go to Top of Page

khromas

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  10:42:58  Show Profile
Jim -
First of all I think I made it perfectly clear in my previous post that I did NOT condone same-sex marriages. I have no desire to turn this CADO site into a Sunday school class and that is why I did not wish to fall back onto Biblical verses to solidify my opinion.

In regards to the judicial ruling at question, the court did NOT dictate a law from the bench. What they properly did was to INTERPRET

Kevin Hromas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000