Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  21:16:09  Show Profile
Obviously, this loss was mis-assigned to you, Jim. By all manner of current, correct, executive rationale, this loss SHOULD have been assigned to Apu at the customer crisis call center in Bombay for complete handling by phone. Apu would have had the Insured get two more estimates and then paid the lowest bid and closed the file. (Thank you...Call again!)

The days of the field adjuster are over...yours is an irrelevant function. If the ilk ofRoof Dr Sr and their ego-maniacal, profit gorging practices want $15,000, then they should have it. That the Insured will actually be keeping about half that to put down on a new car, is quite beside the point. The Insured and the roofer are deserving of having Santa Claus come to visit in the merry month of March.

It's a brave new world out there, Boys & Girls!
Go to Top of Page

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  21:47:21  Show Profile
Ghost I acknowledge that some of these claims no doubt accidentally slipped through the cracks into my hands, but I am wondering how our friend Apu is going to handle one of these disputed sticky contents claims when one of these slick New York area Public Adjusters presents his rather inflated and grossly exaggerated UPP list?

One can never settle these claims without the customary social introduction by way of a little face to face discussion of family genealogy and the family gene pool history. I doubt Apu is going to understand some of the insurance words we reserve for those discussions with our Big Apple PA friends.

It's an alpha thing that Apu beta learn.

Edited by - JimF on 03/22/2004 21:49:36
Go to Top of Page

alanporco

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  21:55:24  Show Profile
Shakespeare just hadn't met any roofers or he'd feel the same way about them that he did lawyers.
Go to Top of Page

Tom Toll

USA
154 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  21:59:50  Show Profile
Stephen King could explain all our insurance problems to Apu.
Go to Top of Page

Czar

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  23:40:40  Show Profile
I am new to this forum and web page in general, but I had seen that you are talking about my favorite subjects, hail and hail damage. To adjusters there is a difference between the two, although my difficulty is making the insured understand the difference after they have had a long discussion (sales pitch) with their contractor. Any suggestions on how to communicate this to the insured in a way that they lose the "FREE ROOF" mentality, and understand that I am at their house to give a fair and honest assessment of the damage, if any.

The background of my frustration is that I work as a IA in Columbus Ohio, and within the last 1 1/2 years we have had 2 hailstorms, to, what I consider, a minimal degree of hail size. I would estimate that on the couple hundred roofs that I have inspected, that about only 20% needed partial replacement. Since 99 times out of 100 the contractor has already been in the insured's ear promising them a new roof, new siding, and money to cover their deductible, I feel that I am fighting an uphill battle. After about 6 months I finally got to the point that I started thinking about buying every roof to just get rid of the headaches and phone calls from the agents, insureds, and roofers. Thank god for winter and the snow (cuts down on inspections). Thanks for any suggestions given.
Go to Top of Page

MysteryCat

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  01:32:48  Show Profile
My suggestion is that you should either 1) move to an area that has REAL hail or 2) Become a roofer since it only took six months for you to give up your ethics and give in to the con man roofers.
Go to Top of Page

MysteryCat

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  01:39:39  Show Profile
Oh and with regard to "Thank God it's winter"... If you want to do less inspections ... go to work flippin burgers or somethin... please.
Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  01:40:12  Show Profile
Czar, Welcome to the hectic world of cat adjusting. Fortunately or otherwise, Columbus has not had a hail storm during the last 30 years. Now you get two of them in 1 1/2 years. I can only imagine all the battles with roofers that you may face. I can only try to imagine the contradictory positions taken in the local claim handling community.
Good luck over the next two years dealing with those problems. Warm regards to the Columbus Claims Club. Go Buckeyes.

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

Czar

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  01:55:32  Show Profile
Mystery Cat

Did not mind the 8 to 10 inspections a day. The problem that I had was that after getting off a two story roof to meet with the insured to tell them that they did not have damage to their roof, I could look across the street at the neighbor's house and see a staff adjuster from the biggest insurer in the city getting an agreed price from the ground with the contractor and not conducting an inspection. Also, did not mind the work load and did not give into roofers, just needed a break to catch up on my casualty work. I know that it will start up again this month.
Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  02:07:29  Show Profile
Czar: Ignore MysteryCat, he is so knowledgeable about this business and so confident of his postings that he won't even give his real name. His words mean nothing. His reference to moving to an area that has real hail is a giveaway, he is not an adjuster. He is a probably a hail adjuster only (probably in that big state). You can bet he has never handled any claims in his life other that residential property hail claims and has no concept of what you do for a living (adjusting real claims). Mr. Mystery Cat should spend a winter in Columbus, then lets see how he BRAGGS about all the inspections he did or how much he enjoyed it. HE would likely resort to flipping burgers for a living if he had to endure that far a couple months.

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

MysteryCat

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  02:34:29  Show Profile
Czar... yes ... WELCOME
Larry ...
Thanks for that.
I was only responding to what limited info that was posted originally. I wish you both a successful career.

As far as the rest...
I am a real adjuster, multi-lines and have actually worked claims in a BIG state, and have endured YEARS of claims handling in wintery states and am somewhat proud to announce that it was NOT worthwhile, in hindsight (Scarce bikinis).
Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  02:37:21  Show Profile
MysteryCat: You are a real credit to this profession, if you even know what the word profession means. Someone posts an intelligent inquiry about a real claims situation and your only response is to disparage, criticize and demean. One that acts within a profession should bear a professional demeanor, you are not among those ranks.

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  02:45:21  Show Profile
MysteryCat: Thanks for the good wishes for a succesful career. I have already had a successful career. Good luck to you in yours.

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page

MysteryCat

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  02:53:37  Show Profile
Larry you are correct, "MysteryCat" is on a rampage tonight. For those who have suffered "MysteryCat" apologizes.

Czar, as I said before, WELCOME.

You will get good and bad info on this site. It's up to you to differentiate it all.

My suggestions above #1 and #2 above still apply.

Edited by - MysteryCat on 03/26/2004 03:02:46
Go to Top of Page

LarryW

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  03:32:14  Show Profile
Czar: In response to your original post, about discussing your findings with a policyholder: You inspected the roof and you present your opinion of that which you observed. No hail damage on the roof? The policyholder (or their roofer) disagrees? You are entitled to your opinion. In the event a roofer disagrees, then you need to resolve the disagreement. Offer to meet with the roofer on the roof and invite the policyholder to be present. With all parties present, ask the roofer to identify everything he/she considers hail damage. Discuss each presentation of hail damage and make your points, pro or con. If the roofer convinces you that the roof is hail damaged, then pay for that damage. If the roofer cannot convince you of hail damage, then respectfully disagree. You may then want to get a roofer whom you trust and respect to inspect and give his/her opinion. Present that secondary roofers opinion to the Insured, 95% of the time the claim is then settled. At that point, if there is still disagreement, leave it up to the policyholder to prove their claim. Preferrably with an assessment from someone who has no financial interest in the outcome of the dispute. If you still don't buy their arguments, stand your ground. Lawsuits are based on disagreements and that is their option.

Larry Wright
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000