Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  10:44:39  Show Profile
Your tape measure is probably the single most important tool in this trade and everyone has their own personal choice when it comes to purchasing one. I know alot of you big budget - toys hounds use the Distos for measuring. No doubt they are the best but $400 doesn't fit into everyone's budget. Stanley is the predominant brand when it comes to tape measures. I believe everyone should carry a 35 footer. I see so many with 25's and you find alot of rafter lengths longer than that. What do you carry as your primary and why?

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  10:52:31  Show Profile
Lannie, I voted for the 100 ft tape, I use it for almost all exterior work; it's a fiberglas roll up, so it withstands the rain and snow abuses longer and better. I use my 25ft Stanley for interior work.
Go to Top of Page

KileAnderson

USA
875 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  11:44:23  Show Profile
I keep the 100 footer in the truck to use when measuring fence lines and such, but I find that big bugger a little hard to clip to the belt and I prefer to have as little as possible in my hands when climbing a ladder so I use the Fat Max 35' most of the time. I have to buy a new one it seems every now and then. I think I went through 2 last year. I tried to take one apart and clean it, but I found it was just alot easier to buy a new one.
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  12:43:34  Show Profile
I have a 100 tape also. I use it for fences and barns sometimes. A couple years ago though, I purchased a rolling tape that I use for elevations, fences, and on laminated roofs. I can take that rolling tape on a roof and knock in out in as long as it takes me to walk it. I have a 35 foot FatMax. It doesnt retract as quickly as my old 35 foot Stanley but it is the best for measuring elevation heights and gable heights. Walmart has a generic 35 foot "FatMax type" that is $9.99. It roles up quicker than the Stanley. Its my backup and for the price, you cant beat it.
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  16:06:51  Show Profile
Come on.....I know you 25 footers are out there. Cast your vote!
Go to Top of Page

Slew

25 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  16:52:03  Show Profile
30 ft craftsman. After tearing up a couple stanleys I like being able to bust my Craftsman and get another one no questions asked. Also carry a 100' tape...
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  17:53:28  Show Profile
OK, I have 6, 25' Tapes that break every week, but i did have a gross to start.

Now I use the 35' PRO model Fatmax, guaranteed for life, if it breaks they give you a new one.

Outside, I prefer to use a 100' self rewinging Loggers tape, with a breakaway clip, so it never falls off, and you dont have to roll it up.

Then there is the big wheeled roll-a-tape for long fences runs,

AND, last but far from least, I have 2 distos, they are indispensible and I use them 90% of the time. One is for inside, small and compact, the other with a telescopic sight is used outside.

Can we vote more than once?

Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  22:12:26  Show Profile
Katadj - vote as many times as it will let cha.

You have two Distos? Now Linda is going to have to buy another one to keep up with you. I think she has a Disto fetis.
Go to Top of Page

tomgriffin56

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2003 :  23:28:28  Show Profile
I have a Disto w/telescopic sight, 100 ft fiberglass, several FatMax 35' and a couple of FatMax 30' scattered around just in case.
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  09:07:07  Show Profile
Wait till Chuck enters, he has 3 distos. And more ways to measure than an astronaut.

Anyone ever use a water level? How about a helieum baloon? A protomiter?

Every situation may require some odd ball or different way of calculating, we just have to know how to do it.

Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  18:59:53  Show Profile
I had lunch with two of my independent buddies today and one brought his new Disto 5. That thang is awesome! $475 is kinda rich for my blood but I'll tell ya, I can see where that thing would come in REEEAAAL handy!
Go to Top of Page

katadj

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  23:19:22  Show Profile
For an IA, the Disto is quite likely, one of the 3 most important tools.

They being IMHO, the Delorme mapping sytem, The Digital Camera and the Disto Laser.

Each of these items save a minimum of 1 hr per work day. Now if you wish to look at the big picture, that equals a minimum of 2 additional files per day or 14 per week. Even at the low end of 100-150 per file, (our cut) that is $1,750.00 additional income per week.

SO, if you can pay for all three in one week, then the rest of the time is additional income without expense, just a simple KISS principle.

Todays pricing is quite a bit less than what was paid: A sample of todays pricing,

Disto =$475.00
DeLorme=$150.00
Camera= $900.00

Using the DeLorme since 1995, A digital Camera since 1997, and the Disto Laser since 1999, I will never give any of them up...............

Go to Top of Page

Veee

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  19:15:59  Show Profile
I like the Craftsman. I love the ease of replacing it for free when it breaks. I think I've gone thru maybe 15 or so in the last 12 years in the business. The wider ones are much better, but are not as comfortable in my hand.

Talley Construction Co.
Go to Top of Page

ChuckDeaton

USA
373 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  07:13:55  Show Profile
I carry two Distos, the top of the line with a sight and the little red one, Thanks Linda, a 35' Fat Max on a magnetic clip, and a 100' self rewind loggers tape with a release nail. For small stuff I carry a micrometer and a vernier caliper and a hole saw. How else would you measure the thickness of sheetrock or OSB decking? A magnetic protractor is handy for measuring angles. The large wheel with the kick stand is always in the truck.

After time spent examining mold files I can say that many adjusters are lax about accurate measurements. And whoever heard of learning to write a business letter?
Go to Top of Page

kwsmith

10 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  22:57:55  Show Profile
nearly always in the truck: 6" inside/outside micrometer for small stuff/thicknesses/diameters, 1' machinists' square w/ protractor head for angles and levels, 25' craftsman on a magnetic clip, 75' logger's tape w/ horsehoe nail, 300 ft fiberglass surveyor's tape, large wheel roll-a-tape, inclinometer with tables on the reverse side for figuring ratios of rafters to run to pitch etc, a 3' carpenter's level, and a engineer's compass.

kwsmith
Go to Top of Page

visitcostarica

Costa Rica
15 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  22:57:14  Show Profile
Fat Max Pro 35' 100' Stanley Turbo (love the 3 to 1) on the roll up, Calc Industries. Leave a couple generic 35s in the car, just in case.

Delorme is a my partner everyday

Digital photography, what else for electronic files?

Done climbing roofs...try climbing into a hammock in Costa Rica http://www.visitcostarica.net
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000