Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

JimF

USA
1014 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  22:38:20  Show Profile
Memo to 'Cat Daddy':

Under the State Farm HO-3, what is the limit (or 'sub-limit') for off-site 'power loss' or 'power surge'?

You mention that you are a State Farm 'Fire Cat Reinspector'. I am not all that familiar with that term, so could you please define just what that title means and what you do on cats?

Edited by - JimF on 01/22/2003 22:40:19
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  08:31:12  Show Profile
And... from the Cult Command Central office of CADO, Jimmy, Psst! A Big Red Fire Cat Reinspector is the guy who goes behind you with a critique form and tries to find fault with your work. I've met lots of them. The ones I've met tend to be rabid believers in the company philosophy and propaganda. Maybe Catdaddy is different?

How about it Catdaddy, are you different? If you are, don't let em know you're here. And, if they find out, cause you're using the company laptop, tell em you're doing investigative research on those low life independents. Maybe that'll save your health plan and paycheck.
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  13:49:13  Show Profile
JimF - How is a power surge, that damages an a/c unit on the insured location, an off-site power loss? Are you saying the surge originated off-site at the power station so the damage to the insured location is not covered? Help me understand your point JimF. Is that it?

Ghostbuster - Welcome to the thread, as it called. Thank you for clearing up what you think a reinspector does. It sounds like you have had some bad experiences with them in the past. Not knowing anything about you, I cant say whether it was their fault or yours. Sorry, for whatever reason it was.

I would say that I believe in doing the job the way it is laid out for you to do it. I have certainly not forgotten my days as a claim rep, traveling all over, finding out that claims are handled differently everywhere you go, not always agreeing with how that particular spot in the world wants you to handle a situation when you just left somewhere 1000 miles away where they handled the same exact situation in a totally different and uncomplicated way. We have all been there.

I work as a reinspector the same way I did as a claim rep. When I leave 10buck2, I forget about it and how THEY wanted me to do it. When my pager goes off, and I get to the next dot on the map, I sit in the orientation and listen to how THEY want it done.....and it do it that way. Is it always easy? No. Do I always agree with how they want it done? No. Do BOTH of us get paid to give them and the policyholders what they want? YES!! The answer to what I/we should do sounds simple to me.

And I am different. I know the type of people you are referring to and I am not one of them. They think they are the police and its their job to find wrong in what you do, nevering pointing out what you do right. Unfortunately those folks are out there. Ya cant shoot them so try to get along with them the best you can. My best advice is to do your job the way your management person asks you to and you'll be fine. If you dont want to do that, find someone else to work for. But if you go into it looking for a fight, "they arent gonna make me do it that way!" , you'll get one. I found that out myself as a claim rep.

I work with indepentents everywhere I go. I am sorry you choose to call yourself a low life. Those are your words. I am sure your colleagues would rather be known by some other handle. I have lots of friends that are ind claim reps and management. Independents are an intregal part of our operation and we DEPEND on them. We could not provide the service we do without them and we are very serious about providing that high level of service. We surround ourselves with staffers and independents that give that to our insureds. Sure, I hear plenty of those "poor little independent" stories. Most are from the ones who just cant hack it. Is that where your hostility is coming from? This job is not for everyone and I sometimes find it hard to feel sorry for someone who makes twice what I do doing the same job and then doesnt want to do it the way he/she is asked to. Poor you.

Who's next?
Go to Top of Page

Linda

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  15:44:24  Show Profile
Okay, Gentlemen! I am a personal friend of Catdaddy's and they just don't come any better! He is a heck of a nice guy and helpful to boot! If he had been around, you guys wouldn't have gotten to laugh at me so much at Christmas time! But he did laugh when the "chow" tried to take my pants off me! Ooops, that's another story! Heck of a storm--I believe someone called it a "catastrophe" of the first order.

I believe it is only courteous to welcome new members so Welcome Catdaddy!! We laugh, argue, discuss and cuss sometimes but in the end, we do learn from our colleagues and our mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  16:34:29  Show Profile
My friend Linda. Isnt she awesome? See how these guys are making me act. It just doesnt feel natural. You need to tell them I'm one of the good guys and not a Nazi.

I hope things are going good for you in Wisconsin. I havent found any leather chaps in petite yet. I want you to be safe from future dogs attacks!
Go to Top of Page

Ghostbuster

476 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  09:27:50  Show Profile
Hey, guys, I think Catdaddy might just make an interesting addition to the clubhouse. Already he has shown the traits of being the new kid on the block by being assertive and slightly bellicose in order to establish a presence. Just like we all did when we got here.

So whaddya think...shall we initiate him into the Scorched Tailfeathers Club now, or wait awhile?
Go to Top of Page

CCarr

Canada
1200 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  11:50:03  Show Profile
Speaking as an inducted member of the STC, the initiation into which I still vividly remember from 16 or 18 months ago; I wonder if you have not lowered your requirements for entry?

The mere early exhibit of the traits that the STC seeks, does not necessarily manifest itself into the sought after consistent trends.

I urge you to consider this in your evaluation of prospective members. Even though the larger parent membership has mushroomed quickly to some 2352 members, that should not be used to falsely inflate the uniqueness of the STC. That larger group has no entry requirements - be they by trade, by profession, by the amount of perils exposed to if any, the quality of burgers flipped, or any monetary contributions. I think fairly high standards and requirements have in the past been used to determine whether one is suited for initiation; I think in that regard there are better things to come yet in this situation.

I bring my thoughts forward, for as you know, eligibility to 'the cult', is also from the STC initiated; where the requirements of membership are much higher yet - one must not only like to write, but also be able to read and finally tolerate their own words.
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  12:17:04  Show Profile
Now Ghostbuster....I had to go to dictionary.com to look up "bellicose".(Good word by the way.)You'll need to remember I am from the south so you may have to choose your words carefully sometimes if you want me to be able to follow what you are saying. Keep them small and within 5 letters long and I'll do fine. Outside of that, you may have to do some draw'n to bring me up to speed.

I have worked with several of your long time members and they have since sent me emails congratulating me on jumping into CADO with both feet, one in my mouth in some cases it seems.

I'd enjoy talking shop with you guys and if you ever need or want the point of view on something from my carrier's standpoint, I'll be glad to share it with ya'll. And sometimes, I'll just stir the pot. What do ya say?
Go to Top of Page

olderthendirt

USA
370 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  12:38:23  Show Profile
A reinspector and human to boot, will wonders never cease.
Go to Top of Page

Todd_Summers

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  18:17:17  Show Profile
CatDaddy,
Welcome to CADO ! I see that you will be an excellent addition to our cast.

I would, however like to offer you another viewpoint (that of the independent) regarding compensation...
You wrote,"...I sometimes find it hard to feel sorry for someone who makes twice what I do doing the same job...".

This is a common viewpoint of many staffers that have not considered the following...

1)Staffers may receive a salary of $35,000.00 to $60,000.00 or thereabouts.
Deductions include taxes and social security (only?)
Benefits include: Temporary housing, cell phone, pager, internet access, computer software and estimating programs, other tools, office supplies, company car, fuel, maintenance, health insurance, 401K, etc.

2)Independents make, during any given year, anywhere from $0 to $200,000.00 with an annual average range probably closer to $45,000 to $80,000, LESS ALL OF THE ABOVE LISTED EXPENSES.(With the exception of State Farm. It is the only carrier I know of that provides computers, software and office supplies).

It has been argued that the grass is greener on the staff side because of the security of having a job, year round, and the health insurance benefits.

It has also been argued, and I think most on this site would agree, that the grass is greener on the independent side because of the very nature of the word "independent".

Of course, there are many other issues to be considered, such as, time off between storms as well as time spent away from home and family while on assignment.
But on the subject of compensation, it is easy to form an opinion such as the one you stated, but remember that independents are usually at the mercy of Mother Nature and just because the independents may be making $1000.00 a day while on assignment, remember to subtract all of their expenses and that they may not work the rest of the year after leaving their current assignment.
Go to Top of Page

CatDaddy

USA
310 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2003 :  19:37:27  Show Profile
Todd - Very good point about the compensation. I have to admit, my comment at the time you are speaking of was meant to be kinda pointed.

I have researched the possibilities of working on both sides of the fence and what you stated is right on the mark. I have two good friends that resigned this month from SF and are headed out to work as independents. The firm they committed to work for has made them some big promises and they are counting on big bucks. I hope it works out for them. In my experience, a small group of IA make the big bucks. $100-$175k every year. I am not sure if it all due to production or if they are just "class favorites" of their supervisors and get sent out all the time while others have to sit at home. Its both probably. I read in another section where an IA said he lived 30 miles from a hail cat site and didnt get called. Its seems like a house of cards to me. You guys really have alot to look out for. Ya p-ss off the wrong people and things can go wrong for ya. The same applies to us but the consequences come more slowly. Corporate America likes to chew you up before they spit you out.

Its hard for anyone when your financial well-being depends on so many factors and the most predictable part of that puzzle is the weather.
Go to Top of Page

Linda

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2003 :  20:23:24  Show Profile
Mother Nature employs us but she never promises fair weather to get the job done! (Boy can I attest to that one!)
Go to Top of Page

mshort68

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  12:10:20  Show Profile
Replying to T. Summers about grass is greener on the other side. I'll soon find out since I recently resigned from a large carrier. Timing was right for me to test the waters and my wife carries all of my benefits so watch out. I've thought about going independent for quite some time, but couldn't seem to make the jump. If your good and have made the right connections, you should not have any problem even with the lean years. We'll soon see!!!!

The grass is always greener on the other side, but it still has to be mowed!
Go to Top of Page

Newt

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2003 :  16:39:34  Show Profile
I have to make a move soon, and I doub't It will be easy, and have no Idea which side of the fence I'll be on. It doesn't really matter, I'll bloom any where I'm planted, weeds tend to do that. I figure I should try about May. It may take a while. That wiii make it about a year since I started. So the last of May I will start knocking on doors. By the way Todd, I sent my resume to Ererl's for sponsership, a few months ago, and hope to go to their conference, If you go I may see you there. I got to get my State Farm Certification, and I am trying to get a waiver for my NFIP, the others I have in case we have a hurricane in Fla. this year.
Go to Top of Page

sherkk

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2003 :  16:57:39  Show Profile
You mean an actual standard H0-3 like the one in my basic estimating manual, they actually exist in the real world?

Edited by - sherkk on 12/04/2003 17:07:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
CatAdjuster.org Forum Archives © 2000-04 CatAdjuster.org - Adjuster to Adjuster Go To Top Of Page
From CADO to you in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000