CADO Admin
/ Categories: NFIP

FEMA's NFIP Information for Claims Adjusters


Here is a list of some of the resources for adjusters that can be found on the NFIP site. 

Last Updated: 12/13/2019

  1. Adjuster Authorization
    1. Qualified applicants applying for a National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Adjuster Authorization are granted a Flood Control Number (FCN) through the Adjuster Authorization process administered by the NFIP Bureau & Statistical Agent on behalf of FEMA.
  2. Adjuster Certification and Workshops
  3. Adjuster Certification Application
  4. Adjuster Fee Schedule-2012 Revision
  5. Adjuster Claims Manual
  6. Adjuster Preliminary Damage Assessment Form
  7. Claims Handbook
  8. Claims Adjuster Forms
  9. Disaster Support Resources, Post Hurricane Information
  10. Flood Disaster Offices
  11. Steps For the Assignment of Coverage D - Increased Cost of Compliance Coverage
  12. Summary of Coverage 

Click here to go to their site.




(Source: Section II of the NFIP Adjuster Claims Manual)


"The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) requires all independent adjusters who adjust flood losses for the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to be NFIP flood certified. They must attend a NFIP claims presentation annually in order to maintain their active status of certification.

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Bureau and Statistical Agent is required to maintain a database of independent adjusters who qualify to adjust flood claims under policies issued by the NFIP Direct and the Write Your Own (WYO) carriers who utilize the services of the independent adjusting community. The qualifications reflect that the NFIP, like many other insurers, has its own distinct characteristics concerning coverage and adjusting requirements.

The adjuster database is designed to reflect by Flood Certification Number or other means that the approved adjuster has attended regular or special workshops that are held throughout the country. An adjuster may also attend a FEMA-recognized approved claims presentation conducted by independent adjusting firms or WYO Companies to maintain their active certification status. The records reflect the adjuster’s name and the date and location of the workshop.

The purpose of these workshops is to keep the adjusting community current with claims procedures and guidance required for adjusting losses under the three forms of the Standard Flood Insurance Policy-the Dwelling Form, the General Property Form, and the Residential Condominium Building Association Policy (RCBAP). For this reason, all independent adjusters who wish to be certified must submit the Adjuster Certification Application. WYO Company staff adjusters should be guided by their particular company’s procedures. "

. . .


"FEMA recognizes that specialized knowledge is required in order for the adjuster to properly adjust NFIP losses. Adjusters must know the differences between the Standard Flood Insurance Policy (SFIP) and private industry property insurance forms. They must know interpretations of coverage made by FEMA and the unique reporting requirements of the NFIP. Accordingly, FEMA has made it a contractual requirement for the NFIP Bureau and Statistical Agent to maintain a list of adjusters who are authorized to handle NFIP losses.

The requirement that independent adjusters be certified by the NFIP applies to all independent adjusters seeking to handle flood losses. FEMA also encourages, but does not require staff adjusters handling WYO claims to be certified by the NFIP Bureau and Statistical Agent. The WYO companies are free to choose whatever adjusters they wish, either, staff adjusters or  independent adjusters, to adjust their flood losses and are likewise free to establish any related qualifications or requirements for adjusters. A WYO staff adjuster handling a direct loss assigned under the Single Adjuster Program (SAP) is not required to submit an application for NFIP certification. In this case, WYO staff adjusters are deemed certified to handle SAP claims by virtue of their being staff adjusters for a WYO Company and that the WYO Company  assigned the claim. (For further discussion of this situation, see Single Adjuster Program and Claims Coordinating Office in Subsection III. B. of this manual, page III-2.) Independent adjusters must be flood certified in order to adjust losses under the SAP. "

. . .

The excerpts above come from Section II of the NFIP Adjuster Claims Manual, Section II contains 8 pages, you can use the link below to review of the complete document. Section II starts on page 13 of the pdf.

Previous Article Typical Phases of Claim Pmt First 3 Years of an Adjuster's Career
Next Article Questions about getting a reciprocal license in Florida
Please login or register to post comments.

Theme picker

Virtual Claims Adjuster

KB Search

«August 2020»