/ Categories: NFIP

NFIP Summary of Coverage

Source: FEMA F-679 / November 2012

Excerpt from the Document;

 What Is Covered by Flood Insurance—and What Is Not

Physical damage to your building or personal property “directly” caused by a flood is covered by your flood
insurance policy. For example, damages caused by a sewer backup are covered if the backup is a direct result of flooding. If the backup is caused by some other problem, the damages are not covered. The following charts provide general guidance on items covered and not covered by flood insurance. Refer to your policy for the complete list. (For information on flood insurance coverage limitations in areas below the lowest elevated floor and in basements, "see page 3 of the source document", link provided below.)

What is insured under
Building Property coverage:

  • The insured building and its foundation.
  • The electrical and plumbing systems.
  • Central air-conditioning equipment, furnaces, and water heaters.
  • Refrigerators, cooking stoves, and built-in appliances such as dishwashers.
  • Permanently installed carpeting over an unfinished floor.
  • Permanently installed paneling, wallboard, bookcases, and cabinets.
  • Window blinds.
  • A detached garage (up to 10 percent of Building Property coverage); detached buildings (other than detached garages) require a separate Building Property policy.
  • Debris removal.

What is insured under
Personal Property coverage:

  • Personal belongings such as clothing, furniture, and electronic equipment.
  • Curtains.
  • Portable and window air conditioners.
  • Portable microwave ovens and portable dishwashers.
  • Carpets not included in building coverage (see above).
  • Clothes washers and dryers.
  • Food freezers and the food in them.
  • Certain valuable items such as original artwork and furs (up to $2,500).

What is not insured under either
Building Property or Personal Property coverage:

  • Damage caused by moisture, mildew, or mold that could have been avoided by the property owner.
  • Currency, precious metals, and valuable papers such as stock certificates.
  • Property and belongings outside of a building such as trees, plants, wells, septic systems, walks, decks, patios, fences, seawalls, hot tubs, and swimming pools.
  • Living expenses such as temporary housing.
  • Financial losses caused by business interruption or loss of use of insured property.
  • Most self-propelled vehicles such as cars, including their parts (see Section IV.5 in your policy).

Please review the following source document for additional information and changes if any. Please let us know if the link no longer valid. You can use the comments section to add additional information are update the information if needed.

Previous Article NFIP Adjuster Claims Manual - Part 4
Next Article Careers with The Littleton Group
Please login or register to post comments.

Theme picker

Structural Forensic Engineers & Damage Assessments

KB Search

«August 2020»